Saturday, March 20, 2010

Spring Reading Thing 2010



It's Spring! Yahoo! And that means lots of things. Warmth, sun, buds peeking out, walks around the lake, bar-b-queing, bike riding. And it also means Katrina's Spring Reading Thing kicks off. I love this challenge. It's a no pressure challenge and I love going through books and book lists to see what I want to read over the next three months. And then I love visiting everyone on the Mr. Linky to see what they will be reading. So far this is my list but as always some things are subject to change. Sometimes books I have on hold just don't arrive on time or they are on hold by someone else and I have to return them before I can get them read. But I'm excited about most of the titles on my list. So here we go:


Here Burns My Candle by Liz Curtis Higgs (book tour book). Set in Scotland in the 1700's the story plays off the biblical story of Ruth and Naomi.

An Absence So Great by Jane Kirkpatrick (book tour book). I've been looking forward to this one. It's the second in a series that is actually based on the author's own grandmother's life. I have a review of the first in the series here, scroll to #4.

The Right Call by Kathy Herman (book tour book). I read the second in this series in a book tour last fall and I'm excited to find out what happens to the characters. A review of the the second one is here.

Why Manners Matter - The Case for Civilized Behavior in a Barbarous World by Lucinda Holdforth. I could not pass this book by when I saw it at the library. The title just grabbed me.

Jordan's Crossing by Randall Arthur. This is a second book by this author that I am reading. I read his first last year for a book tour and I'm looking forward to this one. His stories are very thought provoking and heart searching. A review of the his other book is here.

Tall Grass by Sandra Dallas. I read my first Sandra Dallas book this year and I can hardly wait to read more of her stories. Loved the way she writes. A review book Prayers for Sale is here, scroll to #5.

The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright. This has been in my book bag for a while and I always get book tour books taking it's place but I'm determined to get to it this time. It sounds like a great read.

The Silent Gift by Michael Landon Jr. I love Michael Landon Jr. movies so I'm looking forward to his first writing. It's a story of a mother and her disabled son who in the midst of the depression years, recieves a special ability.

I Stand at the Door and Knock by Corrie Ten Boom (devotional). I love Corrie Ten Boom and have been looking forward to starting this devotional. I tend to "do" devotionals weird. I go in spurts with them, reading several in a day or none at all so we'll see how this one pans out. Each devotional is a little bit more reading than the norm but I'm looking forward to it as they are forty never before published devotions by the author.

Cook This, Not That!: Kitchen Survival Guide by David Zinczenko and Matt Goulding. I love this series of books that help you make better decisions of what it is you are putting into your body for food. It takes popular items that we all automatically reach for and gives us the better, more healthy alternative.

Experiencing the Ressurection by Henry Blackaby. For Easter I wanted to focus on Christ and his ressurection so this book is perfect. Not a long read but very powerful.

Food Rules - An Eater's Manual by Michael Pollan. Bringing simplicity to daily decisions about food.

So far, that is it. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew, or read, as it were. So what are you reading this spring? To join in or check out other great reads see Callipider Days.

25 comments:

Karen said...

This is a great list! I'm reviewing the first two, as well, and read the Wednesday Letters -- enjoyed it so much. The other books sound great -- Sandra Dallas is one of my favorite authors. Maybe I should just copy your list? Nah, I'll write my own, but I AM taking notes from yours!

Barbara H. said...

I've seen the Higgs book reviewed, and it looks good.

The Cook This, Not That book looks like it would have some great info.

Experiencing the Resurrection looks really good, too.

Anne said...

Fun list, Susanne. I got a sudden deluge of audiobooks -- three became available via my library, one from my subscription to Audible, two that were on sale, and one that came free from another source. My ears will be busy!

Lisa notes... said...

"Experiencing the Resurrection" is one I've been wanting to read. You've got a great list going.

Faith said...

wonderful list...I"ll get mine up in the next day or two. You impress me and kind of put me to shame! you seem to only read Christian novels....I must admit I read many secular mysteries...I love them....I try not to get trashy novels tho :)

Veggiemomof2 said...

Here burns my candle is on alot of lists. Better put it on my TBR list. Happy reading!

Lisa Spence said...

What a great list! I'm reading "Here Burns My Candle" right now.

Rana said...

This is a great list of books. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Happy reading!

Anonymous said...

What a great list! I love reading what everyone has on their list. Have fun reading this Spring :-)

Denise said...

Great list, I read one of Corrie Ten Boom's books and loved it, I'd like to read more.

Tiffers said...

Great list! My Hubby has been reading Jason F. Wright like crazy lately. I have a pile of his books in my closet waiting for me. :) Happy Reading!

Julie said...

It looks like you have a full list. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Enjoy your spring reading!

Anonymous said...

I'm intrigued by Michael Pollan's Food Rules book - I read half of The Omnivores Dilemma and liked it a lot (as much as you can like something on that subject matter)...

Dianne said...

Hi Susanne, thanks for stopping by my blog. I loved The Wisdom Hunter - I didn't know he'd written another (never thought to check, really!) And I used to read a lot of Jane Kirkpatrick's stuff and enjoyed her style a lot.

Cheryl Smith said...

12 books for the Spring? That's impressive! Can't wait to hear which ones you liked best.

Michelle said...

WOW Susanne great selection of books...Haven't read or heard of any of them..I'll have to change that ;)

Amy said...

The Wednesday Letters has been on my TBR list for awhile. I hope you enjoy it!

Christi said...

I am reviewing Here Burns my Candle and Absence So Great but I had already finished reading Absence so I didn't put it on the list.

That Corrie Ten Boom book sounds really good too. I think I will need to check it out.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Looks like a great list, Susanne! I have The Silent Gift on my shelf, but haven't read it yet. And the Liz Curtis Higgs book is popping up on lots of lists -- I'll look forward to seeing what everyone thinks of it. The Corrie ten Boom book looks good too -- what an amazing woman!

Thanks for being part of SRT '10!

Angie said...

I just finished reading An Absence So Great..it was really good. Also finished reading Here Burns My Candle and it also was good. :)

Happy Reading!!

Joy said...

What a great list! I will have to check out the Higgs book! Happy reading and thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Hey, You have a pretty elaborate list. But like you said the important thing is to enjoy reading more than anything else and the way Katrina has structured this challenge, its fun all the way. I love comparing notes too. More from me soon.

Susannah said...

Love this title (and the concept): Why Manners Matter - The Case for Civilized Behavior in a Barbarous World! This looks like a "must get."

Happy Spring reading! :~D

Mine's up when you get a chance...

http://chrysaliscom.blogspot.com/2010/03/what-are-you-reading-now.html

Blessings, e-Mom

Robin M said...

Thanks for dropping by. You have some good books on your list. I loved Corrie Ten Boom - it's been years since I've read her book. I'm going to have to read The Hiding Place again. Will have to check out the devotions.

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

You have a great list! I enjoyed The Wednesday Letters very much. I have Tallgrass in my tbr rubble. Hopefully I'll get to it some day. I think Here Burns My Candle will go on my wish list. It sounds interesting. Enjoy your spring reading.