Friday, November 20, 2009

Friday's Fave Five #63


Welcome everybody! Wow, are we getting close to the end of November aren't we? I'm going to have to work on changing the button again pretty soon. Anyway, thanks for sticking around and playing along for all this time. If you are new, you can go here if you need details, then just join right in.

1. Invitation only shopping. There are a few stores around here that have an evening where it's invitation only shopping on an evening before Christmas. They are a lot of fun. There is usually lots of snacks, and door prizes and scratch and saves handed out at the door. A few friends and I went to one at a Home Hardware store that happens to have a really, really nice decorating section. It was lots of fun. Lots of fun Christmas items. Unfortunately, I didn't scratch the 50% off, but oh well, I got a couple of cute things.

2. A night out with friends. After the shopping what else can one do but stop somewhere on the way home for a coffee and more snacks. Too fun! And totally a destresser.




3. Deep fried mushrooms. Oh my word. So, so yummy. Only a once in awhile treat though as they are not too terribly healthy. Nice big mushrooms dipped in a coating and deep fried. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera so I had to borrow a picture. But mine pretty much looked just like this.




4. A devotional that really hits home and speaks to me right where I am. I'm not really a regular devotional reader. I go in spurts and waves with them. But I ablsolutely love it when I hit upon one where almost every devotional in it just hits me right where I need it. I am in just such a one now. "The Love as a Way of Life Devotional". So good. For example a quote out of today's devotion: "People notice when we are patient...because it is so much more common to show impatience" and "When we are noisy and when we are hurried, we are incapable of intimacy-deep, complex, personal relationships". You know how you know something sorta in your head but sometimes it just hits you right in the heart and then change can come. These two sentences were awful profound to me today. And that's what this whole devotional has been doing for me at this time. Love it.

5. Slow Cookers. I love cooking with slow cookers. I've used mine 2 or 3 times already in the last week. I find cooking in them so easy, and some of my favorite foods come out of them. Stews, soups, tough old cheap roasts come out fork tender. And I love the throw it in and forget about it aspect. Since I'm into forgetting lately, it comes in darn right handy.

What are your favorites for the week? What has touched your heart? If you do a post, please sign onto Mr. Linky so we can come and visit you.

25 comments:

ellen b said...

Wow can't believe I'm still up to get linked up tonight. Project Runway finale was tonight and I just had to stay up and see what happened. How fun that there is invitation only shopping...I like that. Those mushrooms are calling to me. That devotional sounds great Susanne. Have a wonderful weekend!!

Willow said...

Mmmm, mushrooms! It must be mushroom week as I mentioned them too!

As always, I want to thank you for hosting this every week. It's a weekly highlight for me and so many others.

Have a great weekend!

Hazel said...

I probably was assuming this whole time that patience was hard for people to notice. Thanks for sharing your devotional lesson.

An invitation only shopping sounds very interesting and scratching 50%even more so :)

Fried mushrooms... yum!

Anonymous said...

Shopping...pffft. LOL. So not a shopper but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sorry you didn't get the 50% off. Those mushrooms look wonderful. And I haven't had anything in a slower cooker for years...I should get one. Maybe then I could cook LOL. :) Set it an forget it. Have a wonderful weekend :)

Melli said...

I am with you on the slow cookers -- I use mine all winter long!

You know who has the BEST fried mushrooms in our neighborhood? You're not gonna believe this! The BOWLING alley! LOL! We can almost NOT resist getting them... fortunately we don't bowl too often!

I LOVE devotionals... they speak to me soooooo often! I guess I'm going to have to add that one to them. The words you shared from it hit home to me too...

Anonymous said...

I am a slow cooker fan also! And yes it's ok to have a delicious treat like fried mushrooms every once in awhile! They sound great! Love the quotes from the devotional, they both really hit home to me. I may have to look into that book. I am not much of a devotional reader either, I go in spurts also. :)

Barbara H. said...

That kind of invitation sounds fun!

You can have my share of mushrooms. :-)

Amen on some time out with friends. Very refreshing!

I will have to look up that devotional -- it sounds like something I need.

I love slow cookers!

Happy Friday!

Jenna's Scribbles said...

Don't you just love cheap shopping? Sorry you didn't get the 50% off, though. That's always a downer.

Islandsparrow said...

I'm taking not of that devotional - I'm into a good book too right now but I keep a list :)

I wonder if they do invitation only shopping here? I like the snack and prizes idea.

and the night out with the girls - I have one of those coming up soon!

Thanks for hosting Suzanne - it's favourite (and only!) meme.

Islandsparrow said...

ok - let's try this again -

"I'm taking note of that devotional"

"Thanks for hosting Suzanne - it's my favourite (and only!) meme."

Another note to self - check your comments before hitting publish . . .

Brenda said...

Thanks for the reccomendation on the devotional book, I am always looking for a good one.

I love my slow cooker too and use it all the time.

Kari said...

A night out with friends - that's great!
Looks like you had a great week. I'm loving my slow cooker too.

Happy day and weekend.

Catherine said...

Like you, I go in fits and starts with daily devotionals, but I think I will check out this one! Thanks!

And, I love my slow cooker, too. Yesterday I roasted acorn squash and sweet potatoes in it -- heavenly!

Karen said...

Yes! to friends and slow cookers! I don't have a lot of luck with deep frying, but I do love eating the food:)

Carrie said...

I didn't play this week becauase I had something else I wanted to say (which is a blessing in a totally different kind of way!). But I am enjoying everyone else today.

Yay for night's out with friends and that devotional sounds really wonderful.

Lazy Daisy said...

Slow cookers are the best especially when I work with Mr. Wonderful doing very physical work. It's so nice to walk in and smell dinner already cooked. Loved the devotional book you mentioned, I'll definitely have to look for it. Thanks for doing this meme, it's great.

Donnetta said...

I have never tried deep fried mushrooms but they look and sound so yummy! I am going to have to look for them on a menu next time I am out.

I have also enjoyed that same devotional. :-) It always challenges me when I pick it up.

Favorites of slow cookers... check. And nights out with friends... check.

Happy Friday friend!

Karen said...

Those mushrooms sounds so good!! I have never had them that way, but I know they have to be delicious. Have a great weekend! Karen

Anonymous said...

Good stuff here, Susanne. How nice that you got some good shopping done! I know what you mean about fried stuff. I LOVE them, but haven't tried fried mushrooms...

elizabeth said...

Nothing beats a night out with friends! Even better if you can share fried mushrooms with them. Thinking on it and I don't think any of my friends eat friend mushrooms - and my husband sure doesn't. So those sound particularly good to me!

Thank you so very much for hosting this meme!

Faith said...

love your list. Mine is up and I just had a quick minute to link up with you. SO ignore my previous comment on your book review post :)

That devotional is one that I want to buy..perhaps I'll put it on my xmas wish list!!
Enjoy the weekend
God bless you!!

Lisa notes... said...

That sounds like such a great devotional. I might try to read it myself. Have a great weekend!

Karyn said...

The mushrooms look wonderful!

Glad you found some nice Christmas decorations...Home Hardware does have nice things, don't they?

Never been invited to an invitation only sale, though.....you must be special!

Laura said...

Ahhh deep fried mushrooms...YUM. Almost as good as the cheese fondue I blogged about today :)

Linda said...

Hard to believe we are in the holiday season already. Your list has made me feel good Susanne. An evening out with friends is a really good thing. It just lifts the spirits.
I have to give buying a slow cooker some serious thought. There are so many yummy recipes.