Monday, October 27, 2008

Fall into Flavor ~ Golden Rice


Whew, I know I'm really behind getting this up. My day has gotten away from me and as usual I forgot to get it drafted on the weekend. But here it is. The yummy, side dish your family's gonna love. I'll bet you'll never guess what makes it golden! None other than the star of Fall into Flavor: your humble butter. And it's easy. What's better than buttery and easy.
Golden Rice
-1 medium to large onion, chopped
-6 Tbsp. butter (do not skimp)
-2 cups Long Grain white rice
-4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups water with 4 pkts. chicken oxo
-fresh chopped parsley (optional)
In a large frypan, melt butter over medium heat. Do not let it brown or it changes the flavor. Add onion, and saute for a couple minutes. Add the rice and saute until the rice is golden stirring often. You want the rice golden not dark brown. It will seem like it's taking a long time but keep your eye on it and stir often because it will brown all of a sudden.
When rice is golden very carefully add the liquid. Bring to a full boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Fluff with fork and serve. Optional: garnish with a bit of fresh chopped parsley.
No need for gravy with this one.

11 comments:

SmilingSally said...

It sounds yummy!

Merrie said...

I LOVE rice and this sounds wonderful! I'll have to try this...

Anonymous said...

Oh this sounds so good with many dishes. Thanks for posting this.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Rice is one of my fav dishes, and we're getting ready to do a week of eating beans and rice for missions. I may use this one of the days we do rice only.

Anonymous said...

Oh I wish I saw this before I made dinner......I couldn't figure out what to make with the chicken bundles I had for dinner tonight. This would have been perfect!

Anonymous said...

Yummy!

Jamie said...

Sounds wonderful!

Islandsparrow said...

Yummy - and buttery - and easy - what could be better? Thanks Suzanne!

Tammy said...

My husband would especially love this recipe- he's a rice man! :)

Come over and visit my first home school open house, Susanne!

(And I have a question...since it's also my first time with Mr. Linky- how do I get people's links to show up in the post, rather than a new window? Or does that cost money- gold members only? Thanks!)

Hugs,
~Tammy

Anonymous said...

Great! We are definitely rice people around here. I can hardly wait to try this.

Mountain Mama said...

Thanks for posting your recipe. I am going to try it using half olive oil. It sounds so good to me and I'm thinking I could probably add other veggies too.