Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A scary vision, for sure!

In the past couple weeks we have run into quite a few aquaintences who have just come back from spring vacations to Mexico. The only major trip like that that we've had is when Dave and I were still just carrying the only title of husband and wife and not Mom and Dad, when we went to Hawaii. We've gone on little holidays with the kids but not a major nice "trip" .

So tonight I was talking to my teen girl who's 17, and brought forth the suggestion of not doing the big spending spree of gift giving at Christmas and instead putting that money towards a really nice family trip.

Me: "...and we'll just not buy gifts and go all crazy at Christmas and put that money for a trip".

Teen Girl after saying she could go for that: "This is sounding like Christmas with the Kranks. *pause in thought* Can we still put up Frosty?"

After having a good belly laugh, because well, one, it was witty and two, we don't own a Frosty, I was brought to silence in the middle of a laughing snort, as I all of a sudden had a vision of myself standing at a tanning salon, ala Jamie Lee Curtis, trying to hide behind a hand towel, while my pastor stands outside the store looking at me in shock. Not good, not good, not good!


And if you don't know what I mean about either Frosty or the tanning salon, well, you'll just have to watch the movie.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

That movie was funny - and the book is even better! It's called Skipping Christmas by Grisham.

I think we will be saving for a trip to London England instead of Christmas presents this year - my oldest son is engaged and the wedding will probably be there.

Karla Porter Archer said...

i've been wanting to watch that movie for quite awhile now...

you've got me very curious now.

blessings,
karla

Barb said...

You know, I read the book but I haven't seen the movie. Definitely have to add it to my Netflix lineup - the curiosity is killing me!

Sandra said...

Susanne, that movie was SO funny.

We are saving for a trip to Africa for Christmas, it will be our christmas gift to each other LOL

I'm sure the kids would rather have toys, but whatever LOL

Hugs,
Sandra

GiBee said...

Well -- if he did happen to find you in a tanning salon, you could always quote scripture at your pastor...

Gen. 3:10, GiBee Translation -- "I heard you in the tanning salon, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid."

It pays to know scripture!

I'm laughing a belly laugh!!!

Tammy said...

Susanne, that is one of my all-time favorite recent comedies! I have it on DVD and watch it even when it's not Christmas! You're a girl after my own heart! (And so is your daughter!)

And wow...I heard of that book, Skipping Christmas, but didn't realize that the movie was actually taken from it! Now I want to read the book!

Free Frosty, Free Frosty!!! :D

Anonymous said...

That's f unny, well hopefully you will get to go on a trip, and hopefully it will be a blast!

gail@more than a song said...

Funny movie! I need to read the book seeing as how Grisham is a Mississippi author and all.
And dontcha just love having a witty child! Too fun.

Laura said...

That was such a funny movie! We are like you, haven't been on a trip since my oldest was 1 and she is now 10! I hope you are able to get away for some nice family time...without too many complications :)

Laura

Rhonda said...

That was a very funny movie. I like Jamie Lee Curtis and of course, Tim Allen.

I'd love to save for a trip instead of going all out on gifts, but I'm worried that once the 25th gets here, they'd be disappointed that it all ended so soon.

Anonymous said...

what a neat idea a Christmas Holiday

Kim said...

I have that movie in the van. I forgot that my sister loaned it to me a couple of weeks ago. I have to watch it now!

Cyndi said...

Oh, I LOVED that scene! Thanks for the laugh today. :)

By the way, we've directed our spending toward trips instead of presents and BOY has it been worth it. Our kids didn't miss a thing under the tree, but they've seen the world in a new way and we've made some wonderful memories.

But we still put up Frosty.

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

Thanks for the giggle, even though I haven't seen the movie....

Linda said...

I guess I'll have to watch the movie, but you've painted a pretty clear word picture!!
It sounds like a terrific idea to me. You will all have a great time and probably appreciate the real meaning of Christmas even more.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Yeah, that is a GREAT movie. All the scenes about tanning are hilarious. And Botox. You're right; it was witty!

Hen Jen said...

oh Susanne, you had me cracking up! I loved that book and movie. We don't celebrate Christmas anymore in our house..but we still do a little at the relatives house. This book had me laughing in a manic way..cause I could totally relate, in a sick, sad way. The book was better than the movie, read it if you get a chance.
And I loved the tanning scene...stuff nightmares are made of..huh?