Friday, July 07, 2006

Everyday Things 3

"...For I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances."
Philippians 4:11

This week my everyday tomato is my shower. Even before Jules had the inspiration to start "Everyday Tomatoes - Being Content" sometimes I would just feel so grateful for my shower. Sometimes when I stood under the warm flow of the shower head I would remember visiting my relatives in Hungary. My Dad's family came from a small town where in the '60's they still drew their water from a well in the middle of town. They didn't have the luxury of a shower at all never mind once a day. They filled a aluminum pan full of water and several kids took turns having a bath in it before it was dumped. My ten year old mind was shocked. I'd never experienced this. I came from Canada, where we could bath whenever we wanted, with as much water as we wanted. In a nice deep tub. As I grew I started to crave showers 'cause our family didn't have one. Just the tub. When we'd have a chance to stay in a motel or hotel I'd go in the shower forever, just savoring it.
Now as an adult in the first 4 years of marriage we still didn't have the coveted shower and when we finally got one it was heaven. Now sometimes when I get in mine, even though it's not fancy schmancy with all those neat shower heads that shoot from 6 different directions, just very simple, my mind sometimes thinks of children in countries where any kind of water is scarce. Bathing is a treat that comes only once in awhile. I breath a prayer of thankfullness to God that today I was able to have a shower. And I'm very grateful for my simple shower. Okay go ahead and insert joke here about how everyone around me is also grateful for it, go 'head.
To see more Everyday Tomatoes drop by & see Jules at Everyday Mommy.
P.S. I have no idea why Blogger will not give me my paragraphs. I really did not make this post to be one great big run on sentence, really I didn't.
Update: Carol at She Lives is savoring the H2O too. Check it out!

8 comments:

Glass Half Full said...

Ah - my time spent in the shower!! Is there nothing better when you become a mom than to spend more than 2 minutes in the shower? Excellent post!!!

Carol said...

Good one, Susanne! I linked your post to mine.

Beck said...

Great post! I love, love, love showers, too.

Dianne said...

I feel the same way about both showers and baths. When I was growing up, we lived in the country and had a cistern for our water supply. We had to conserve like crazy. And for years my sister and I had to "save the bath water" for the other person. And you only got about an inch. Until we convinced my dad that showers saved water. But everytime we ran out of water, I swear it was me in the shower with soapy hair! Ah I do love my bath luxuries!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Great post! While I love to get a hot bath, sometimes standing under running water really hits the spot.

Addie said...

Loved this story Susanne. We forget what real luxuries are don't we? For most people in the world, a shower is an insane, out of this world, mind boggling luxury! Thanks for the reminder. :-)

PastormacsAnn said...

Nothing makes a person thankful for a shower like a long weekend camping! ;-)

I feel thankful for my shower and my indoor plumbing and even my leaky toilet, when I read letters from my dear Compassion son describing his desire to bring water into his little house and his asking me to pray for his plans to dig a pit latrine for his family this summer.

Thanks for the reminder!

Shawna said...

Definitely puts things in perspective, doesn't it? Thanks for the reminder.