Friday, February 02, 2024

Friday's Fave Five #771




Happy Friday!  It's been a fairly quiet week here.  Not a whole lot going on.  Which in reality, I kind of didn't mind at all.  Because it's been such an ordinary week with no huge standouts, I did have to dig a little deeper to realize the blessings of the week.  That's the thing about blessings, sometimes they are just so obvious and other times we must step back and just notice the everyday kind of blessings that make up a normal everyday.  But no matter the week we are having taking pause to look for and be thankful for good things in our lives is never  a waste of time.  Please join us in this intentional discipline each week.

~ weather ~ it has been an absolutely stunning week, weather-wise here.  It is like spring. In one week we've gone from record setting cold to record setting warmth.  From parkas to light jackets or sweaters.  Though some of the days were cloudy there were a few that had wonderful sunshine and blue skies. How many times can I say of the last week of January that I've been able to throw open the patio door and windows to let in the fresh air for the afternoon?  We've taken every opportunity to get outside as another cold month is predicted.  


picture of patio door flung open, cute dog is a bonus


~ snapchat face time ~ I'm thankful for this form of communication.  I remember as a kid, watching Jetson's and being horrified thinking someone you were talking to on the phone could actually see you as you talked.  The thought totally unnerved me as you could not hide your facial expression. LOL.  But now that I've gotten over all that I'm thankful for this gift.  Last week was my son's birthday and his 91 year old Grandma had called him forgetting we had told her he was in Mexico.  He didn't pick up because he didn't want her paying that long distance call but when I went in to see her on the weekend we face-timed with him as he was on the hotel's beach.  She was tickled that she was actually talking with him "face to face" while he was sitting on a beach in Mexico.  

~ library time ~ I had some holds to pick up on the weekend and I found myself with a little bit of extra time so took advantage of that to just enjoy peacefully browsing through the books at the library.  I always find this so stress relieving and of course I left with a few, hopefully, good reads.

~ getting some things sold ~  I made it a goal to get a few things decluttered and listed on the local marketplace this last month.  I got them cleaned up, pictures taken and listed and I've given them a week to see some action or I donate them.  It feels good to finally get rid of some stuff that was just hanging around no longer useful or being enjoyed by us.  And now they are off to new homes to hopefully be enjoyed by someone else.

~ notebook deal ~ I love little notebooks, and stationary as a whole, but notebooks I really tend to use for all sorts of things.  The ones I really like come in sets of three at the big chain bookstore.  It was a blessing to find a set clearing out for a great deal.  Not until I got them home did it dawn on me that the "N" on the front cover was not for "notebook" but for one's initials.  I had a good laugh at my own expense and it doesn't bother me a bit and they will still be well used.  N for notebook it will be in my mind.  LOL.

What have been your favorite blessings this week?








11 comments:

Faith said...

hahah I"m laughing my head off about the monogrammed notebooks. That's hilarious.

I'm so jealous of your weather!!! We're stuck in the low 30s-high 30s and GLOOM. haven't seen the sun in 2 weeks. UGH

I also spent some time this week just browsing in the library. Came back with 2 more novels and new to me authors AND i have a book on hold that i need to get later today.

Love that your son could facetime his grandma!

ENJOY the weekend Susanne. I'm going to be emailing you later about something.

ellen b. said...

Chuckling with you about the N, hilarious, because I have sooo many of those moments these days. Hooray for your glorious weather. We are still in foggy mode here. Looking forward to clear skies. Happy February to you and happy Groundhog day!

Billie Jo said...

Hello! We were just talking about The Jetsons the other day! I do indeed remember thinking how unbelievable it would be to see someone on the phone! Have a lovely weekend. Enjoy this glorious weather!

nikkipolani said...

I know you've mentioned before the wild fluctuations in weather, but it always surprises me. Doors flung open indeed!

What a gift for your son and mom to chat face to face at such a distance. And free, too!

Good for you, decluttering and giving those items another home.

A good deal on notebooks (or Notebooks) is a good deal ;-)

Willow said...

Yes, face to face calls over internet is such a blessing! We got to 'see' our granddaughter more often that way. How sweet for your son to chat with his grandma all the way in Mexico.
Libraries are great places. Last week my daughter took her son on a mom-son date-- his choice? The library.
Lucky you with that wonderful warm weather! May it continue!
Enjoy your weekend--I hope it is sunny!

Melanie said...

I've declutter in bits and pieces. The Humane Society I volunteer with has a huge yard sale once a year and so my cast offs have gone toward that. It does feel good to declutter and reorganize.

I like notebooks as well. I have different notebooks for different things. None of them are monogramed, however. LOL

We've got sunshine here in TN as well. I'm loving it! Still in the 50s during the day but that's better than 20s.

Have a great weekend.

Barbara H. said...

I agree, I prefer quiet weeks, thought that does make for digging a little deeper for FFF. It helps us appreciate those everyday blessings. What wonderful weather! We're enjoying 50s and 60s today--mush better than single digits. But I'm sure we'll have more cold weather before winter is over.

I love Face Time. When my husband's mother was with us, we'd sometimes Face Time with his oldest brother in CA. Their mom wasn't speaking much at that point, but she'd wave sometimes. It meant a lot for them to be able to see her. And we enjoy FaceTiming with our son in RI, especially during birthday celebrations.

We're hoping to do some sorting and clearing out of our attic and shed when the weather gets warmer. It does feel nice to get rid of things we don't need any more,

Funny about the N on the notebooks. I think N for Notebook works! :) I like to find small cheap spiral ones to jot down notes when I read my Bible and some other nonfiction books, mainly to help me process and remember what I read.

Susan said...

Hi Susanne, I am curious to know more about your notebooks. I want to get to a used bookstore in my city. I also want to go to the library to find a book on my reading list for this year. Social media does offer us great ways to connect with others. I don't have Snapchat. During Covid we used Zoom with family members and Instant Message. Enjoy your nice weather and have a great weekend!

Wendy said...

Sorry but I'm also laughing about the Notebooks. I'm sure you'll put them to good use. Nothing wrong with a quiet week though - we all need them from time to time. I too love my library and yes Facetime/Zoom etc are a great blessing when loved ones are far away. Not time to throw open doors here yet but the weather has been dry this week. Have a good weekend Susanne.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Susanne! It's so great that your son could Facetime his with your mom. I am sure she enjoyed that! It's always nice to get some things cleared out of the house, and a real blessing when they can be sold for some extra $$! I love wandering around the library. So fun. I am enjoying having an excellent, big library connected to the community rec center where we walk. So glad you are having good weather. We had some sunshine this week, but today it has been a steady downpour of rain all day. I hope you have a good weekend!

Gattina said...

On what planet are you living ? I haven't seen sunshine for at least 2 month maybe 2 days. It's really depressing looking out of the window, always grey, rain, wind, wonderful ! Now that I can walk normally again without getting breathless after 5 steps, I only could walk once in my so beautiful park !