Friday, April 21, 2023

Friday's Fave Five #730



Hi everyone and welcome to Friday's Fave Five where we join in with others and share some of our favorite blessings from the past week.  It helps us to develop a habit to look for the good things in our everday and be grateful for them so that even when tougher times come, and they do, we have already ingrained in ourselves to look for God's blessings.  Please join in with us!

~ the tree that keeps on giving ~ gotta love when there is good ol' tax funded entertainment for the dayhome kids.  One morning they were thrilled to see city workers and a cherry picker truck and shredding machine pull up.  They were mesmerized for about an hour watching them "prune" back the tree out the front window.  In reality they chopped it right down.  When they drove away both my neighbor, who also has a dayhome, and I were right out there sorting through the stumps and rolling a few home for the kids to play on.  I also went back and got two big 5 gallon buckets of the softest sawdust for them to add to a table for playing in.  Lots of hours of entertainment from one tree.  And I didn't spend a dime.



I wish I could show their faces as they were grinning ear to ear enjoying the tree.  It made me happy to see them happy and engaged.  


~ some more decluttering done ~ it's been a very slow go this year but I got some more decluttering done.  I packed up all the dvd's that belonged to my kids and told them to sort through them and whatever was left when they went back home after their Easter visit was going to get donated.  The Wii was taken by my daughter and I was able to add ten more books to my box of Free Little Library donations.  If feels so good letting things go I no longer use or want in the house.  I just wish I had more time to devote to the process so that it would go quicker.




~ spring snow ~ though one does inwardly groan at the thought of snow in the spring, I'm going to choose to look at the bright side of yesterday's big dump.  It was moisture we needed, the big fluffy flakes were pretty, and this morning it's pretty much all gone and next week is supposed to be back to spring weather.



~ fresh air walks ~ unlike last week's Easter walks with blue skies and warm enough that we could take our coats off, this week's walks were back to warmer jackets on but it was still great walking weather.  Fresh and crisp is all right by me.

~ a better than expected doctor report for Mom ~ Mom had gone in for some tests and I was pretty worried for her but they came back better than expected and for that I am super thankful.


Well that wraps up my pretty normal week.  Nothing earth shattering but still blessings to be found in what otherwise might appear mundane.  What were your blessings from your week?



9 comments:

Wendy said...

What is it with kids and machinery lol. When they were rebuilding the station near my son's home Rory would love to be taken to watch the diggers in action.
Glad your Mum's results were better than expected. Decluttering a little at a time is better than none at all. Maybe adopt a "one in one out" policy too so that it doesn't build up again? Moving house worked for me but that's a bit drastic lol. Have a good weekend Susanne.

Faith said...

I can't tell you enough how happy it makes my heart to read that you've allowed the daycare children in your home to have sensory experiences with natural items......nature!! This has been my big thrust in preK curriculums over my career. How fun for your littles!!

You did with dvds and your kids what we did last summer with ours. I told both girls to take what they wanted (this included videos because believe it or not, claire has rigged up our old VCR system in her apt along with an old tv monitor!! We still have a basement full of Courtney's old things but Claire for the most part has taken all of hers. And once you retire, you'll have LOTS of time to purge. I'm waiting for next winter to purge the basement once and for all. hahah

Praise the Lord your mom's test results were ok!! HUGE blessing for you I'm sure.

I'm glad you could see the positive in the snowfall because honestly if that happens to us here in eastern NY i think i'd be really annoyed. hahaha

Have a wonderful weekend.

Barbara Harper said...

What fun for the kids to see the trucks come and the workmen in action! My guys loved anything like that when they were little. And that's great to salvage stumps and sawdust for playing. I never would have thought of that. I know what you mean about government tree "pruning"--what they leave is usually pretty sad-looking.

I've been itching to do some de-cluttering, too. It usually starts when I see a few things I could get rid of, then I'm antsy to sort through more. There hasn't been time this week, but hopefully soon.

We're supposed to get down in the 30s again soon, but hopefully that will be winter's last word this year. Good idea to look at the bright side of the spring snowfall. Glad it was gone pretty soon.

What good news about your mom's doctor reports.

ellen b. said...

It is good to have weeks that are ordinary. What fun to be able to benefit from that tree being cut down. Simple pleasures are great. Good for you and your neighbor to take advantage of that. We are looking forward to that warm up next week! Happy weekend to you.

Sandra said...

Hi my friend, it's been a while since I've stopped by :)

So great to see you still doing your Friday's Fave Five. ♥

I need to do some decluttering as well, though I find it so hard when it comes to books, I can't seem to let go of any. hahah

Have a wonderful weekend, and Praise God for your mom's doctor reports.

Susan said...

I need to get to the garage to get some decluttering done. My middle some took our family DVD to his house. When we all go over, he shows us one and we all laugh through the memories. No snow here where I live and it will be in the mid 80's today. Enjoy your weekend!

Jerralea said...

Sounds like a good week for you!

Decluttering makes my so happy. I'm only able to do a little at a time; but 4 bags went out to Goodwill last week.

Love the idea of the free tree stumps!

Willow said...

Oh what fun for the little ones! They do love the big machines. And all the 'new toys' for them, too.
You have reminded me to be thankful for snow and rain--it's water!
I hope you are going to have some truly spring weather now--sunshine and warmth. And good news on your mom.
Enjoy your weekend!

Karen said...

Love the story of the tree. That's so neat that the kids got to enjoy it. And those big old stumps are great.

I'm glad to hear your mom's reports went well.

My out-of-town kids are coming for a visit this summer. My plan is to do exactly as you did, go through stuff in the basement and tell them, take it or it goes! Fortunately they are both driving (although Luke and Miranda already have a car full of kids, so that will be trickier! but we took a load of his stuff up the last time we visited).

We woke up to snow this morning :(