Friday, March 17, 2023

Friday's Fave Five #725


Happy St. Patrick's Day and welcome to Friday's Fave Five.  We are intentionally looking into our ordinary day to day and looking for God's hand and blessings in them. Then we are pausing to be grateful and thankful for blessings big and small.  By sharing five of those blessings we are encouraging one another and building community.  Won't you join us?

~ rescue ~ well that sounds dramatic, doesn't it?  And it kind of was.  This week, late at night, I got locked into the bathroom.  The knob would not open the door.  I had to rattle the knob and yell for my hubby who was already fast asleep.  The man woke out of a deep slumber and tried to open the door but it wouldn't budge.  So he got dressed, went out to the garage, got the ladder, trudged it through the snow to the opposite side of the house, set it up, climbed it and then crawled through the bathroom window in order to get the knob off the door.  This was no easy feat!  He is not a young whippersnapper anymore and even though our home is a bungalow it is raised so that bathroom window is higher than the ladder.  And I was so grateful this happened at night when he was home.  I don't know what I would have done if I had been locked in there when the dayhome kids would have been here.  I'm so thankful that if it had to happen it happened when it did.  And I'm thankful for my hubby for the rescue.

~ meet and greet ~ this week I had a meet and greet with a new doctor who replaced my doctor who moved away in December.  I loved my former doctor, she was caring and empathetic and was easy to talk to.  While I'm sad it's not a female doctor who replaced her I am thankful that in a city where about 40,000 (out of about 105,000) people don't have a family doctor (primary care physician) I am able to at least have a doctor to go to.  He seems very nice.  

~ when kids take things literally ~ working with preschoolers who sometimes take things very literally, there are some pretty funny moments.  One of those happened this week.  We were learning about color mixing and what happens when we mix blue and yellow together.  We sung a song about "hugging" blue and yellow together and magically getting green then I set up the easel, gave the kids a pot of yellow and a pot of blue and let them have it.  One three year old went all out mixing her colors all over her page.  The other three year old painted a big circle of yellow and a big circle of blue.  I encouraged him to "hug" his colors.  He looked at me a second, then asked me to hold his paint.  I said ok thinking he had to go the bathroom.  But when I took his paint from him he took his arms and wrapped them around the easel and gave his painting a hug.  Let's just say we're grateful for washable paint.  Sweet moment that gave me and his mom a good laugh.  She wondered what was going through his mind when I asked him to hug his colors.  Like "you want me to do what?" or "sure, ok".  I said he was probably thinking Miss Susanne is weird but she's the boss so whatever."  LOL.  

~ earlier bedtimes ~ I always find the time change brutal and it's just gets harder the older I get.  I've been trying to get to bed earlier even though my body at night thinks it's too early for bed.  But I've fallen asleep relatively easily so have been able to get a good night's sleep, even though the morning is still brutal with my body thinking it's 5 a.m. 

~ blue skies ~ beautiful blue skies have been so appreciated after having several days of dull and gray and snow.  The sky has been such a lovely blue in the day with sunshine warming things up.  Even though we'll probably get more snow it just feels like spring is on the way.

What have been your favorite blessings this past week?




















12 comments:

Faith said...

OMGOSH I almost spit out my coffee reading about the 3 year old! that's just too funny. And that's the difference between special needs children and typically developing children. the special needs kiddoes would just mix the colors. (due to their language deficits). What I say when we're doing color mixing is " let's make the colors dance together". (and yes there are kids who refuse to do this because they have OCD and don't WANT to mix the colors). Teaching little ones is fun isn't it??

WHOA!! I'm so thankful that bathroom incident didn't happen when you had your daycare kids there!! Praise GOd for His timing and for a hubby who actually woke up. Mine would have kept on snoring.

GLad you have a new Primary Doc. With our insurance plan we can basically go anywhere. For that I'm thankful because the woman who took over for my former doc was AWFUL! I now have a new one and she's only a nurse practitioner But she's much better than the MD I had!!

YAY For blue skies after a grey week.

HAPPY WEEKEND!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Susanne. Wow, that rescue from the bathroom sounds pretty dramatic. So glad you could wake up your hubby and he could come to your aide. I sure hope you found out what the problem was so it doesn't happen again. That is such a cute story about the little one "hugging his colors." Kids can be so sweet and literal. Glad you found a new doctor. I was doing pretty well at adjusting from daylight savings time, but then I did not sleep well last night, so I feel like I am back in a sleep deficit. I hope you have a good weekend. See you again soon!

Barbara Harper said...

How scary and frustrating it must have been to get locked in the bathroom. I'm glad with you that it happened when your husband was home and that he heard you and went to the rescue.

It can be scary to get a new doctor. I'm not completely satisfied with mine, but I can work with him, and I'm not sure what I'd find in a different doctor, so I have stayed with him. That's astonishing that so many in your city don't have a family doctor.

Funny about the paint "hugging" interpretation. I know what you mean about the time change being harder to adjust to. I spent the first day afterward falling asleep almost every time I sat down. Yay for blue skies!

Billie Jo said...

My goodness! That was an exciting event! So glad your husband was home! Enjoy your weekend. Thank you for the reminder to call our blessings to mind.

Wendy said...

Oh that's so funny about the little one "hugging" his colours but children do tend to take things literally. Glad you managed to escape from the bathroom - I'd have been panicking and hubby would be hard to wake up. Our clocks don't change until the end of this month but I also hate losing that hour of sleep. Glad you've managed to secure a new doctor. Have a good weekend.

Melanie said...

I'll have to remember hugging my colors when I watercolor! So cute! You must have lots of funny stories to tell.

That's scary about the bathroom doorknob! What a blessing that it all happened when it did. I hope your husband was able to figure out how not to let that happen again. Wow!

These time changes are not my favorite things. Here in the US, there is a push to keep at Daylight Savings Time year 'round. I personally would rather have the more daylight in the morning than at night but I think I'm in the minority.

ellen b. said...

Oh my...that rescue story is really something. Glad it happened when it happened for sure. Scary to think of the what ifs...
Love the dayhome hugging story. So cute. Hope your weekend has no rescues needed!

Jerralea said...

Love the story of the literal 3 year old.

One of my daughters always took everything so literally, too. She was having trouble telling a story once and I unthinkingly said, "Janae, come on, just spit it out." She obligingly leaned over and spit on the ground. I was always glad that scenario happened in a parking lot and not in my living room.

Glad spring is on the way in Canada. It's trying to make up its mind here in Southern Illinois.

Willow said...

Blue skies! Yes! Only four more days until Spring. At least we have to hope and assurance that spring is coming.
That is such a cute story about your little one literally hugging his painting. Love it!
Yes, we need to be mindful and thankful for actually having healthcare and doctors.
Have a good weekend!

Susan said...

I am glad your hubby was there to rescue you! What a cute story about hugging colors. I will have to share it with my Bible journal group. I see my primary next week. If it is urgent, I will go with the doctor on call. I had the best doctor about 20 years ago, but she retired. The best medicine she gave me was hug when I needed it the most. Enjoy your weekend!

Gattina said...

I am sorry but I had to laugh my head of imagine the scene of you being locked in the bathroom ! Would have been a nice video ! Fortunately it happens in the night, and your hubby was there. I just imagine you being locked in and your toddlers turning the house upside down ! Afterwards we can always laugh ! I will also try to hug my yellow and blue ! How cute, I think it's a nice new expression for mixing colors !!

Hena Tayeb said...

Oh no.. sorry about you getting stuck in the bathroom. Thank God your husband was at home.. and was able to eventually get you out.
The boy who hugged his colors is so darling.