Tuesday, January 03, 2023

Reading Challenge 2022 Wrap Up

A little bit late but I still wanted to write out how I did on my reading goals for last year.  Otherwise what is the point of making them, right?  I'm totally a list maker/lover and I love to cross things off a list.  I find it very motivating.  That is the reason why I make the challenges and goals.  It helps me to get to some books that have been sitting languishing in my piles, helps me to realize just how many books I am purchasing, and it helps me to see what books I no longer have an interest in.  

In 2022, I missed my Goodreads goal of 45 books.  I've always tried to hit the 50 books a year goal but it has remained illusive for me.  So last year I adjusted the expectation.  But life threw me curveball after curveball last year and though reading is usually an escape for me, last year at times my mind was just to full and I found I couldn't focus to read.  I missed my goal by almost 5 books.  Still 40 books in a year is not too bad.

The Read Your Shelf Challenge was once again fun and caused me to go and look through all my books on a regular basis to find what fit the prompts each month which helped me to remember what books I actually have.  I was able to hit this challenge every month, sometimes reading more than one from the pile for the month.  A lot of the the titles also criss-crossed and met other challenges as well.

I listened to quite a few audiobooks and find I am liking listening to them when I am in the car doing errands.  I tend to prefer non-fiction in this format, I am finding.  

I shocked myself and read 13 non-fiction books last year.  3 were hard copy and 10 were audio.  I actually got half way thru a 14th but I'm taking my time with it so will finish in the new year.  

I had quite a few 10/10 reads for the year, which is always exciting, some good but average type of reads, couple of duds that I thought would be really good but weren't and a couple of "Did Not Finish"  (DNF's) that I just could not bring myself to keep going with.  


So my top 5 favorite fiction books of 2023 were as follows:

5.  The Record Keeper by Charles Martin

An intense, action-packed emotional ending to the Murphy Shepard series dealing with a man who rescues those caught in modern day slave trade.













4.  The Book of Lost Names by Kristin Harmel


A story of a young French Jewish girl who joined the resistance fighters in France using her artistic talent to forge passports and documents helping Jewish residents to flee across the border during WWII.
 











3.  The Lighthouse Keeper's Daughter by Hazel Gaynor

Based on true historical character, Grace Darling, who's act of courage and strength made her a celebrity in England.







 






2.  The Master Craftsman by Kelli Stuart

Dual timelines, one set in the Romanov period, a lost Fabrege egg, and a modern day treasure hunt all combine to make a page turner of a story.














1.  When the Day Comes by Gabrielle Meyer

A totally unique take on the combination of dual time lines, time travel, and historical fiction.  Christian fiction that wasn't preachy and dealt with trusting in the sovereignty of God through uncertainty, grief and purpose in life.  Can't wait for book 2.












My 3 Favorite Non-Fiction books (or audiobooks) of 2022 in no particular order were:

The Astronaut's Wife by Stacey Morgan

Stacey's story of what she learned while her husband orbited the earth in the space station and she was left home to chug along with life on her own offers the reader glimpes into the astronaut life and what's it like to be the spouse left on earth and encourages the reader to make the most of what God brings into your life with hope and trust in Him even in the midst of loneliness and uncertainty. 









Help I'm Drowning by Sally Clarkson


Lessons in trusting God even when we are questioning why.  Calming, encouraging and uplifting.  











You can find full reviews for all these books and everything I read last year HERE

What were your favorite reads of 2022?  




4 comments:

Barbara Harper said...

40 books is great! I've not read any of these, but I've seen When the Day comes recommended a few times.

Wendy said...

I loved the book of lost names too!

Faith said...

i really wanna read The Book of Lost Names. I've seen it at library.

Karen said...

I need to put Book of Lost Names on my list for this year. 40 books is great! I barely hit 30 this year. My favorites: Amy Snow by Tracy Rees, Once Upon a Wardrobe by Patti Callahan, and Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather.