Saturday, January 07, 2023

January 2023 Reading Possibilites

This year as mentioned in my Reading Challenges for 2023 instead of word prompts each month like the last couple of years, I'm going to be using a color prompt.  For January I've chosen the color blue.  So I've looked through all my owned books and from them have pulled this stack that interested me.  I like using prompts, or for this year colors, as it still lets me mood read while at the same time getting me to take a look at books that have been languishing in the bottom of piles that I've forgotten about.  The first book listed for this month is by an author I tried last year and did not enjoy at all.  In fact, the book I read, I think I gave it a scant 4 out of 10.  But a few of you encouraged me to try one more so when I saw this one in a Free Little Library I nabbed it.  While the one I read last year was an older backlisted story of hers this one is fairly new so I think that will give me a fair idea of whether or not I will continue with this author at all after this or just count her as not my cup of tea.  And besides that, how could I resist that lovely cover?  


Here's the choices for the various challenge categories I've set out for myself:

Read what I own:  color blue

          ~ Wish You Were Here by Jodi Picoult
          ~ The Bookwoman's Daughter by Kim Michele Richardson (also qualifies for older/newer)
          ~ The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick
          ~ The Push by Ashley Audrain
          ~ A Distant View of Everything by Alexander McCall Smith
          ~ Night Road by Kristin Hannah
          ~ The Confession Club by Elizabeth Berg
          ~ A Stranger in the House by Shari Lapena
          ~ Code Name Helene by Ariel Lawhon
          ~ After Anna by Lisa Scottoline

One Older, One Newer of purchased books

          ~ A Promise to Remember by Kathryn Cushman (oldest) (finished)
          ~ Eight Perfect Hours by Lia Louis (newer)

Library List

          ~ The Lindbergh Nanny by Mariah Fredericks  (finished)
          ~ The Woman with Two Shadows by Sarah James  (finished)

Non-fiction

          ~It Isn't Supposed to Be This Way by Lysa TerKeurst

Audiobook

          ~After We Were Stolen by Brooke Beyfuss  (almost 1/2 finished, couldn't renew 😒, counting it as a read)




So many good choices that are calling my name.  What books are you reading this month?





5 comments:

Barbara Harper said...

All those blue covers look pretty together! I'm not familiar with any of these except Lysa's. I just started All That's Good by Hannah Anderson this morning. I loved her Advent devotional so much (Heaven and Nature Sing) that I wanted to read more of her books. This one looks to be good, too.

I just finished one fiction read and am about to complete another, both Christmas books. I'm not sure what I'll choose next.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I think that Lysa Terkeurst's book It Isn't Supposed to Be This Way is my favorite of her books that I have read. It was pretty powerful for me. Right now, I am reading a C. J. Box mystery, Savage Run. It's cover is mostly blue so that would count. I am also reading Parenting with Spiritual Power by Julie K. Nelson - religion nonfiction. On audiobook, I am listening to Brene Brown's Atlas of the Heart and another religious biography. Everything I am reading/listening to is very good. I should be finished with the parenting book and the religious biography this weekend. It is always interesting to see what you are reading. Let me know how you like Book Woman's Daughter. Have a good weekend. See you again soon!

Melanie said...

I do like your reading challenges! One of mine is to read books I already have but haven't read yet. I was given the Lord of the Rings trilogy for Christmas. That will be a challenge in and of itself!

Wendy said...

Hmm it will be interesting to see what you think of the Jodi Picoult. Checking out reviews I think it's quite heavy. I'm currently reading Lessons in Chemistry which was a Christmas gift.

Hena Tayeb said...

So many gorgeous books!