Friday, August 19, 2022

Friday's Fave Five #695



Hi everyone!  Sorry, I'm off this week and totally am mixed up in what day it is.  Go ahead and link and I'll be back with my post as soon as I can.  :)


Whew, made it back.  Wow, take a few days off and I get sucked into this vortex of not knowing what day I am on.  But here we go, Friday's Fave Five.  Even in week's off of work it is a good thing to pause and look for what blessed us during the week and take the time to be grateful.


~ week off ~  I am so thankful I have time off in the summer.  Though this was a staycation it was great to just be able to stay up late reading, sleep in a bit (as long as my crazy energy filled four footed furball would allow), have leisurely mornings without hitting the floor running.  Hubby also treated me to meals out so I wouldn't have to cook as much, I got some deep cleaning and organizing done, and daily walks with the aforementioned furball.    It's been wonderful and relaxing.  I could get used to this very easily!  



A little update:  Faith mentioned it looks so dry here.  While it is dry the picture has that tone because of the edit I put on it.  Was trying to play a bit with the photo to make the furball stand out better from the shrubbery around him.  This is the original:




~ corn season ~ it's corn season in Southern Alberta and that means all the Taber corn stands have been bringing us wonderful varieties of their incredible corn.  Taber corn is known for it's incredible sweetness, you can literally just eat it without butter or salt, it's that good.  People have come from other areas and provinces thinking what's the big deal with Taber corn and then they have a taste of it and they suddenly understand we're not exaggerating.   So far we've had peaches and cream and honeycomb varieties.  Can't wait to see what variety will be available this weekend.  We love this month of corn eating so much I even bought an extra large pot a few years ago to accommodate cooking these babies.



~ bbq lunch ~  on the weekend Mom's supportive living home hosted a family bbq for it's residents.  Each were allowed 2 guests so me and my sis joined my Mom for lunch.  She was so happy to be outside enjoying the food and our company.  It really showed me sometimes we take so many things for granted.  The simple pleasure of enjoying a picnic and bbq was something to be grateful for.



~ doggy bowls ~ it's been so hot here in these parts.  We usually do get hot days in the summer but this year there has just been so many heat warnings and heat waves with extended days of hot.  We live on a street where lots of people walk their dogs and lots of dog walking all over the neighborhood.  People have been kind putting out bowls of water on their properties next to the sidewalk for doggies to have a drink while out walking with their humans.  I just think it's such a kind and thoughtful thing to do.  


~ reading thru old blog posts ~ I took some time to read through some old blog posts this week and I came across some posts I had written way, way back that just spoke to my heart today.  Who knew God would use these words I had written way back in 2006 to encourage me and point me to Himself.  I didn't know when I wrote from the heart back in those days of being in the throes of parenting, working and trying to juggle church life and kid's activities that what I wrote would come back so many years later to speak to my own heart.  

What have been blessings in your life this week that you are grateful for?















8 comments:

Faith said...

OH wow.....you guys look like you need rain in that walking pic with your dog! It looks so dry there! we had a VERY unusual warm and dry spring and our summer has been HOT HOT HOT with the entire month of July needing central air minus the first week. Now it's what I cal perfect AND we had a whole day of rain a couple days ago. We really needed it to make the grass green again.

I LOVE sweet corn and because NYS has been so dry this year, the farmers are struggling with getting us some good corn to the stands and markets.

YAY for hubby taking you out for dinner. We do that too and in fact dave brought home a huge pizza last night cause i was still trying to get back to town from my sisters and did NOT wanna cook at 7 pm!

I hope you enjoy a weekend of reading and relaxing.

(oh and thanks for saying you will keep praying for me and these annoying headaches!).

Wendy said...

Glad you had a good week off and how nice to have the lunch with your Mum. Have a good weekend.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Susanne. I am glad that you have had a nice week off. That is a great picture of you and your mom - one to be treasured. Old blog posts from years back are like looking back through a window and a part of life now gone but always treasured. I am glad you have had a nice week. See you again soon.

ellen b. said...

Glad your mom could enjoy that picnic bbq with you and your sister. Your staycation sounds like a much needed time. We are in another heat pattern here and oye the humidity today is ugly. Hope the rest of your Friday and weekend go smooth!

Karen said...

Such a nice picture of you and your mom. You look great, Susanne.

Your little dog is so cute! I keep forgetting how tiny he is. He looks like he's telling you to 'hurry up' on your hike.

August is a great month for produce here, too. Corn, cantaloupe and peaches are all grown locally. I can't get enough of the corn, it's my favorite.

nikkipolani said...

That corn looks amazing.

Such a sweet photo of you and your mom. So glad you both could have some time together in a sweet setting.

I also like the kindnesses of God reflected in people's acts of kindness. It's a good stroll down memory lane, isn't it?

Billie Jo said...

Hello! What a beautiful picture of you with your mamma!!! Corn here too, and we love it. I hope you have a cozy, happy Sunday!

Barbara Harper said...

We just had a staycation last week, too. My oldest son was here, and we had lots more outings than usual. with all the family. The outings were fun, but after doing some laundry and tidying today, I crashed this afternoon! My oldest just left this morning to go back to RI.

Glad you had such a good week! It's nice to both get some things done plus have time to rest and relax.

That corn looks amazing. How fun to have a picnic with your mom. What a kind thing to do to leave water out for the dogs.

It's such a blessing to reread how God worked and what He taught us in the past. So much of what He teaches me now isn't so much new things, but deeper lessons of the old things.