Sunday, June 26, 2022

The Astronaut's Wife by Stacey Morgan ~ Audiobook Review

Full Title:  The Astronaut's Wife:  How Launching My Husband into Outer Space Changed the Way I Live on Earth


Stacey and her husband both had medical military careers but when he applied to be an astronaut they really didn't think he'd be considered.  Then when they got the shocking word that he had made the cut, their family embarked on a journey they couldn't imagine.  It wasn't always easy; all the training, the stress and excitement of watching your husband blast off on a rocket and being left alone to raise your three kids for nine months was a lot.  It was not only her husband that faced unique challenges, fears and opportunities.  This is Stacey's story of hanging on at home while her husband orbited the earth in the Space Station, of embracing the adventures life brings you and of choosing hope and trusting God in the face of lonliness and uncertainty.

I listened to this on audiobook and oh my, I loved this book.  Stacey is a great story teller as she lets the listener (reader) in on what it is like to live the astronaut family life.  She narrates it herself and the way she tells her stories had me captivated.  The space program and those daring enough to be astronauts has always interested me as has the stories of the loved ones left behind.  You learn lots about the workings of the space program, though it's never boring or heavy and through her vulnerability you also learn what it's like for the one's left on earth as their spouse gets blasted off into space for extended periods.  The ups and downs, the highs and lows.  Through it all the author encourages us to make the most of what God brings you in life and with faith and trust in Him embrace the adventure in all it's fullness.   I will listen to this again. 

I rated this a 10/10

Reading Goals Met:  At least 3 audiobooks, at least 3 non-fiction books








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing. Regine
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Barbara Harper said...

This sounds interesting. My husband was away a lot for work-but not so long or far!

Deb J. in Utah said...

I didn't realize this was a nonfiction book! For some reason, I thought it was Sci-Fi, and at this point in my life, I don't do Sci-Fi. I will see if my library has the audiobook of this. It sounds really good. Thanks for the review!

Karen said...

What a unique story and perspective! You hear about military wives, but I never considered what it would be like to have your spouse off in outer space. I have to admit, I would be terrified.