Sunday, February 20, 2022

Dangerous Depths (Aloha Reef Series book 3) by Colleen Coble ~ Book Review

Leia is living a quiet life on a small Hawaiian island practicing naturopathic medicine after leaving her medical career studies.  She also left her fiance at the same time.  He's never understood why she broke up with him and now is work finds him on the same island and seeing Leia.  Bane is determined to find out why Leia left him and to try to win her back.  But Leia is as close lipped as ever about her reasons.  Banes work being a diver in a treasure hunt off the coast of the island keeps him busy but when their good friend gets murdered in an act of sabotage it pulls Bane and Leia into having to work together.  As they dive looking for the wreckage that holds the treasures, an underground volcano starts to wreak havoc in their work area.  As dangerous as the waters that they dive is the things they start to find out are even more so to their lives.

This book is number three in the Aloha Reef series, an older series by this author.  It was an ok read for me.    I usually really like this author and I was intrigued by the beautiful setting of Hawaii.  But this one in the series I had trouble getting into.  I think the use of lots of Hawaiian words, it seemed more so in this one than the first two, really threw me and I found myself skimming a lot. I don't enjoy when I have to turn to the back of a book on a continual basis to find out meanings and soundings of words, it breaks the flow for me.   I couldn't seem to connect with the characters at all.  I found Leia's insistence on keeping the reasons for her leaving Bane to be tiresome by the end.  Just tell the guy already and be done with it.  But the suspense was good and I did find the cave diving and under ocean volcano aspect of it very interesting as I did the Hawaiian heritage treasures.  I really liked that the dolphin who was trained to understand words from the first two books made a reappearance in this one also.  All in all I liked it ok but didn't love this one.

Rated it a 6.5/10

Book Challenge Goals met:  Read Your Book Shelf Challenge prompt for January:  A book with a "quiet" word in the title (Depths)



2 comments:

Barbara Harper said...

This isn't the genre I usually go for, but I enjoy this author when I do read this kind of book. I agree about any words in a different language. It's nice when I read them on my Kindle app, because then I can highlight them and have the translations appear.

Faith said...

she's not an author I've really gotten into although i've read a couple of her novels. I'm sooooo not into romances.