Friday, January 14, 2022

Friday's Fave #666




Welcome to another edition of Friday's Fave Five.  I hope you find a place of encouragement and peace, a place to allow you to let go of the worries and stresses of everyday, a place to learn to be thankful, grateful and content.  Please join in with us as we intentionally look for the blessings God gives us in our normal everydays.

~ warmer weather ~  the polar vortex has moved on and we are out of the deep freeze.  Granted to get that way the wind has been insane at times but at least we can open the door for more than 1 second with immediately letting all the warmth out.  

~ a mom with talent and a helpful heart ~ when my back was turned dealing with something our little varmint of a dog took stole a handmade knit hat out of one of the dayhome kids backpacks that I mistakenly left unzipped and chewed one of the braided straps almost off.  I was horrified as I thought either it was a gift or they had paid a good amount at a craft show for it.  Then I remembered that one of the dayhome moms was an awesome knitter, I showed it to her and she gave me several options that she could do with it, one being reknitting the whole hat!  I gave the options to the hat owner's mom and with her permission my helpful mom had it fixed on her lunch break the next day.  You can't even tell anything had happened to it.  It was a gift that she is so talented and willing to help her desperate childcare provider! 

~ fresh air ~ with the warm up of the temps going above freezing in the daytime it's been nice to open a window or two if only for a few minutes every day to get some fresh air in the house.  And it's been nice getting out for walks with the dog and being able to take in some deep breaths of fresh air without freezing out my lungs.  

~ root beer foaming hand soap ~ one of my child care parents gave me a gift card to a soap store that makes their own products here in Alberta, The Rocky Mountain Soap Company.  My choice was a couple of great smelling bath bombs (lemon and orange) and a root beer hand soap.  It actually contains sasparilla which root beer is made from and it smells just like it.  It's a really nice soap on the hands too leaving them soft which is great in my job as I wash my hands about a thousand times a day.


~ turkey/chicken soup ~ hubby's been fighting a winter cold this week, tested negative for covid, but still was not feeling great.  I made a big pot of soup made from the turkey bones I had frozen from Christmas.  What is it about a hot bowl of chicken soup when one is not feeling well that is so good and makes you feel better?  For me it's not only the taste and warmth but the memories of my Mom making us delicious soups.  Soup was a mainstay in our our household and I still love them.  I added some chopped ginger and garlic to help boost his immune system, carrots, snap peas and broccoli and these mini chicken and cilantro wontons (which I found at costco).  It was delicious.  Tasted just like a soup we might have gotten as takeout from a chinese food restaurant.  

What have been your 5 favorite blessings from this last week?






9 comments:

Gattina said...

You made me laugh first the doggy chewing the hat and then the chicken soup ! Rick swears on chicken soup if you are sick ! I always teased him because I don't like soups in general and each time I had a cold he came with his chicken soup proposal ! And each time I told him he would even heal a broken leg with chicken soup !

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Susanne. So glad to hear your are warming up a bit. We have been fairly warm this week, but the forecast is for colder temps today. That soap sounds wonderful. What a thoughtful gift! So nice that the mother has the talent and willingness to help repair the other child's hat. What a kind heart! The soup sounds wonderful. Hope your hubby is feeling better soon. HAve a good weekend and thanks once again for hosting. See you again soon. :-)

Barbara Harper said...

I am glad the cold weather has let up a bit and you were able to get some fresh air. That was great the one mom was able and willing to fix the hat for the other. I love soups in winter. Hope your husband gets to feeling better soon.

Faith said...

I'm glad your hubby tested negative.....a positive test is so annoying!

I LOVE homemade chicken soup and yes it's a great "feel better" meal especially with the ginger root and extra garlic!!

I LOVE that you have a mom who was willing to fix the other toddler's hat. What a treasure to be able to knit. My oldest girl taught herself to knit and crochet but i just don't have the patience to sit that long. I figure I will give the crafty ladies my business when I go to the farmers markets and see all those gorgeous knit hats :)

Oh I LOVED root beer flavored things when I was a little girl. If i owned that soap i'd wanna drink it !! hahah

ENJOY the weekend...stay warm and cozy....

nikkipolani said...

Get well Mr Living To Tell The Story!! Soup is soothing for lots of reasons. I bet that extra garlic and ginger made it tast amazing.

Like Faith, I also loved all things root beer when I was a kid. How fun to have it in a good soap!

Glad to hear you are out of the vortex and getting some fresh air and were resourceful enough to recruit that knitting mom.

Wendy said...

Naughty dog! lol but glad you had a solution to the problem. Homemade soup is the best - we (as in Hubby) will often make a stock from a chicken carcass and of course the turkey at Christmas and use it for homemade soup. Of course with Hubby making it it's never the same twice. We've had a cold snap this week but I've noticed the days are getting longer again so that made me feel good. Our cold snap is nothing compared to yours though. Have a good weekend Susanne.

Willow said...

I'm intrigued by the aroma that root beer float soap would have. Like Faith, I'd be licking my hands.
What a sweet thing for that mom to do to fix the knitted hat. (if she is like me, she thoroughly enjoyed the challenge)
Yay for some warmth in the air. It gives us a respite and preps us for the next round of chill. Stay warm!

Karen said...

I'll have to look for those little wontons at our Costco. They would be a nice change from noodles in soup. Your recipe sounds really good.

Love how the day home mom helped you out. <3

The root beer soap sounds delicious! (pun intended!)

ellen b. said...

Oh boy, I can imagine how bad you felt about the hat. Hooray for a helpful knitting mom! That soup sounds like just the ticket for a winter cold! Happy weekend to you!