Sunday, January 10, 2021

Unglued by Lysa TerKeurst ~ Audiobook Review

Publisher's Description:

Do you ever feel like your emotions are working against you? Though we may find ourselves stuffing down emotions, exploding with emotions, or reacting somewhere in between, Lysa TerKeurst assures us it’s possible to make our emotions work for us. Lysa admits that she, like most women, has had experiences where others bump into her happy and she comes emotionally unglued. But the good news is, God gave us emotions to experience life, not destroy it. With gut-honest personal examples and biblical teaching, Lysa shows us how to use our emotions for good. 

 Unglued will equip you to: 

 Know with confidence how to resolve conflict in your important relationships

 Find peace in your most difficult relationships as you learn to be honest but kind when offended

 Identify what type of reactor you are and how to significantly improve your communication

 Respond with no regrets by managing your tendencies to stuff, explode, or react somewhere in between 

 Gain a deep sense of calm by responding to situations out of your control without acting out of control


I listened to this as an audiobook while doing my mandatory sanitizing of my childcare at the end of the day.  It was one of my first audiobook ever so it took awhile to get used to and to teach my mind to focus as I listened.  Once I got over that hurdle, I for the most part enjoyed the book.  The author narrates it herself.  It was very relatable and there were many times I kinda wished I had the book to notate and underline.  I may purchase the book and reread so that I can do that because I retain more when I write it and see it.  Lots of takeaways in this book but the biggest for me was her statement: 

 "Let your mind idle in truth rather than perception."  


That was a big eye opening statement for me in how I react when things happen.  This is a great book club or bible study resource.  


I rated it 8.5/10




4 comments:

Faith said...

I've only led one of her Bible studies and it was great!! This one I haven't done but it's on my list of possibilities for my late spring/early summer group :) There's so many good Christian studies these days.

Karen said...

Ooh, I like the quote at the end. I've read some of her books, but it's been a long time. The only time I listen to audio books is in the car. It would be great to learn how to concentrate enough to listen to them while multitasking. It would sure make cleaning house more pleasant.

Barbara Harper said...

I read this a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I have heard of this book and have had it on my "to read" list for a while. Thanks for the review.