Friday, December 11, 2020

Friday's Fave Five #613


Hello and welcome to Friday's Fave Five.  Sharing 5 of our favorite blessings of the past week is how we are intentionally teaching ourselves to naturally keep our main focus of what good things God places into our lives so that we can develop grateful hearts.  Please join us.  If you are new the guidelines are linked in the sidebar.

So it's been quite a week around Living to Tell's parts.  Alberta is doing horrible right now in the Covid case department going into a second or third week with upwards of 1500 cases a day.  The Alberta government has brought in a boatload of tighter restrictions with all sorts of business' being once again shut.  Stores that get to stay open are only allowed 15% capacity so we'll be looking at lineups once again right when the weather is going to turn colder.  Masks are now provincially mandatory.  And there is no social gathering inside or outside.  That means for Christmas we are only allowed our own households.  Unless you live by yourself.  So that means it is highly unlikely two of our kids will be home for Christmas.  Our youngest is a student out of our city and so is allowed to come home because otherwise she would be by herself.  But in spite of all the hard stuff there are still bright spots to be thankful for.

~ healthcare workers and medical help ~  my mom is still in the hospital going onto it's 3rd week come Sunday.  It has been brutal because part of the restrictions that came down was hospital visitation has been reduced to one person that the patient (if they can) names.  Which is fine and dandy as long the patient was only in there a few days, but this has been an extended, longer term for my Mom.  So last Friday, the load of visiting my mom has fallen on my sister.  It has been really difficult and stressful, for her because she has to be there everyday and for me because I can't,  but at the same time we are so grateful that because she is in the hospital she is finally being assessed and helped with the debilitating pain she suffers from.  And we are so thankful for all the healthcare workers, that in spite of the scary time, are showing up everyday for work and working their tails off in the midst of all the extra stress and still manage to show loving care.






~ new bookstore ~ a gutsy husband and wife team, right in the middle of a pandemic, opened a little independent bookstore in town a couple of weeks ago.   It has been well received and I excitedly made my shopping appointment to go last Sunday.  It is charming and has such a cozy vibe with antique typewriters for decor, a fireplace with a couple of comfy chairs and a resident beautiful, friendly cat.  I bought a couple of books I've been wanting:  The Scent Keeper and The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek to support them and had a lovely time looking through all their shelves.  It's lovely to have a small, independent bookstore again in town.  




~ tree decorated ~  in spite of not really feeling the Christmas decorating at all this year for the first time ever, the tree went up last weekend.  It was a bit bittersweet as it was the first time that I have done it on my own.  Last year even tough Tamara was living elsewhere, she was in the city and still came home and decorated it with me.  But this year she is taking some courses out of town and wasn't around to come make it fun.  But I put on some Christmas music and soon the mood perked up and the tree got finished.  And now that it's up, it makes me happy.





~ bbq ~ we found a little bbq restaurant in a town about 1/2 an hour out from us that was getting rave reviews on facebook so we decided for our date night to take a drive out and bring home some bbq.  It was worth the drive and now we have another little "hole in the wall" kind of place to add to our list of faves.


~ Christmas candle ~ I have found a new brand of candle that I have been enjoying:  DW candles.  Marshalls/Homesense/Winners sells them around here.  So when I wanted a new Christmas scented candle I decided to see what they had.  They had quite a good selection of different Christmas-y scents but I finally settled on this one.  It smells so nice, like a walk in the woods on a cold, crisp day.  And it's not overpowering which I love.  Bonus for the lovely jar it came in and for being a decent price.



What were your favorite blessings that lifted you over the past week?








8 comments:

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Down here in Massachusetts we’ve been experiencing a rise in cases as well. We have all sorts of travel restrictions. I think there are only 2 states we can visit without quarantine and/or a negative test result. We’ve been in mandatory outdoor masks all along. It’s going to be very difficult for so many during the holidays. It must be nice to know that your mum is well cared for even though you can’t get to see her. Your tree looks beautiful. I have done mine alone for years now...my children are grown and have houses of their own. At first it felt lonely but now I like it. I listen to my favourite Christmas music or watch my favourite Christmas movie and I get to decorate the tree in my own fashion.

Karen said...

It's good to hear that your mom is being well-cared for, even though it's a mixed blessing not being able to see her. I went back and forth about putting up a big tree, and was glad Dan convinced me to do it. I've had to decorate by myself for a few years now, but have gotten used to it. But, I still miss the days of ornaments placed all wonky on the tree, lol. That's so cool to have an independent bookstore right in town. The one I visit is in the next town, so have to plan for it, but maybe I stay out of trouble that way! It has limited shopping right now.

ellen b. said...

I'm beginning to think that no matter what we do this virus is going to run it's course before it goes away. So sorry about your mom and the visiting restrictions. Glad you got that tree up with the help of music. It's beautiful. That bookstore sounds lovely. Hope you have a peaceful weekend.

nikkipolani said...

Wow, a lot going on with you. Praying that God will strengthen you for the journey. We have more restrictions here, too, but since my life pre-COVID was 90% working and grocery shopping, the impact is mainly social. I'm really concerned for small businesses and glad you were able to support that innovative book store and the bbq spot.

Your tree is so ready for its close up :-) Beautiful in its own alcove. Your candle scent must be glorious. I was given some a few years ago, only votives, but the scent is so strong, I don't even have to burn them -- just uncover them :-)

Faith said...

I'm so sorry your mom s in awful pain but hopefully the doctors will get to the bottom of it nowmthat she's in the hospital.

The tree is so cheerful!

I love independent bookstores and frequent the one in saratoga often. Yours sounds perfect!

I hope you have a relaxing weekend and thank you for praying for me the last couple of weeks.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Susanne. Your tree looks great. That bookstore sounds like one I would enjoy visiting. We have a couple of little bookstores that aren't too far away and we sure enjoy visiting them. Glad to hear that your mom is getting the care and help she needs. I love that candle. I think I got rid of all of mine when we moved up to Utah and I was looking for a candle last night and realized I didn't have one, so I think I will go out later and try to find one or two. I love Christmasy scents. Hope scent. Hope you have a good weekend!

Willow said...

I am glad your mom is getting the care she needs. It is hard, though, to not be able to see her. I'm thankful your sister can be there.
I love me an independent bookstore! May they thrive!
I hope the cases of covid drop quickly for your province. It's hard.
Happy, restful weekend to you.

Barbara Harper said...

I’m so sorry about your mom's situation. I’m glad she’s getting help and your sister could stay. I didn’t feel like decorating for Christmas, either. But I was glad we did. That and playing Christmas music has helped put me in the Christmas spirit. That bookstore sounds SO nice! I’m sorry I didn’t get an FFF up this week - I was in the hospital for a couple of days. Home now and feeling well.