Friday, April 17, 2020

Friday's Fave Five #580



Hi everyone and welcome to Friday!  Friday means we take a pause to look back over the week and find the blessings in our lives.  With the world locked down and self-isolating, all sorts of restrictions in place and the constant barrage of bad news, COVID 19 reporting and updates it is especially important to find those moments, those blessings, no matter how small that put our focus on the good things in our lives, the times God has provided to uplift us.  Hopefully there are many more than 5 in your week but join us as we share 5 of them with each other.

~ free pay per view ~  Our  cell phone provider called us last week to ask a few questions about a small outage they had a couple weeks ago.  I usually hate answering questions on the phone but figured this time I would politely answer as the caller is probably having to deal with a bunch of angry people with nerves being frayed with everything going on.  Turns out in a thanks for answering and taking up my time they gave me some free movies of my choice on pay per view.  That was a great blessing.  I've got 60 days to use them so I'm planning on some good quarantine movie watching.

~ "I Still Believe" movie ~ turns out one of those movies  was a movie that my Ladies small group wanted to go to but before we could they shut down the theaters.  They released it early onto "on demand" platforms as it had only been a week or so but now I got to sit in the comfort of home with Hubby and my a big bowl of his awesome homemade popcorn and watch it.  Both of us really enjoyed it.  It's based on the story of popular Christian music artist Jeremy Camp and his wife's battle with cancer.  It was very moving.



~ home work outs ~ this week I finally bit the bullet and found some home workouts to do.  I am so NOT an at home workout person.  In fact, I tend to find a million reasons to avoid it.  I love getting out walking, biking and going to the gym to exercise but putting on the tv and exercising inside?  Yuck.  Since being off work I have been going for lots of long walks with Hubby but knew I had to do something to keep up some strength so I didn't have to start at square one when the gym opened again.  Hopefully I can stick with some of the stuff I've found.  It's good to feel those muscles being used again.

~ the ham that keeps on giving ~ Easter Sunday I made a ham with scalloped potatoes and asparagus for our Easter dinner.  When I bought the ham I was hoping that it would be nice enough outside to make up plates, have my daughter join us and take them to my mom's and eat outside sitting well apart from each other.  I knew she would find not having family around difficult on a holiday.  As it turned out it snowed that day.  Sigh.  But I made the dinner anyway for hubby and I.  It was delicious.  There was so much ham left over that we've had ham sandwiches, Ham Fried Rice, and Creamy Ham & Potato Soup (all of which were delicious!) this week already and I still have a good chunk left for some of next weeks dinners.  Anyone got any good recipes using ham?

~ Zoom small group study ~ our church has started to do our small group studies on zoom.  While it is not the same as being together it is a wonderful option to stay connected my group.  I'm thankful we have this kind of technology for this time of being separated.

What have been your favorite blessings this week?







12 comments:

aspiritofsimplicity said...

What a lovely idea for your church to have a zoom small group study! It’s important to feel connected to people even though we are in quarantine.

Faith said...

Great list of faves!!
I'm so wanting to see that Jeremy Camp movie!! I hope it's on Netflix.....I'll do a search. I just watched an excellent movie on there called Mrs Virginia. So good based on a true story out of Washington D.C. Back in 2003. Made my educator of poor children heart happy.

I no longer eat pork but i do have a good ham recipe you might like. It's called Ham muffinwiches and is on my blog under faithfixes dinner i believe. When i do want it for dinner i also make a tossed salad for the side. If i make it i use deli ham but even that i really no longer eat. But when i did those muffins were amazing!! Courtney loves them,

We use zoom for work meetings and it's definitely not the same but so useful. For my small group ladies I'm using Discord which is super simple to use.

I hope you get lots of time this weekend for movies and books!
Happy weekend.

Barbara Harper said...

How nice of your cell phone provider! That movie is one I want to see. I ride my exercise bike 5-6 days a week, but I still need to do some strength training. We've been doing church via Zoom but our ladies' Bible study is going to try it for the first time next week. I buy a bigger ham especially for the leftovers. We share some with my son and d-i-l and then have some for sandwiches, omelets, soup, and a couple of recipes. Our favorite which is a standing tradition now is Swiss Ham Ring-Around: https://barbaraleeharper.com/2006/12/26/one-of-the-best-things-to-do-with-leftover-ham/.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Sounds like a good week at home for you Susanne. I am going to be on the lookout for that movie you recommend. This last week has been so busy for me here at home, that there has been very little time for movies or TV, and I want that to change. Sitting with hubby and watching a good movie is always a great way to end the day. That is great you get free pay-per-view for a while. We had ham for Easter as well, and thanks for the reminder that much of it is still in the fridge awaiting leftover recipes. I love the idea of zoom meetings with your small group from church. I hope the coming week goes well for you.

Susanne said...

Thanks for the recipe suggestions, Ladies! I'm going to go look them up today!

Karen said...

Our book club met with Zoom the other night. It was so good to see everyone after two months, and we had a lot of catching up to do. I love ham, but have little to offer in the way of recipes for leftovers. My standards are split pea soup and sandwiches. Barbara's ham ring recipe sounds good, though. I need some motivation in the exercise arena. I have been walking when the weather permits, but I really need to do some strength exercises. Like you, I find a million reasons not to! I did find some stretching exercises that I can do at my desk, so that's a start!

Wendy said...

That was a bonus from your provider. I hate exercising at home too. What a shame you had snow at Easter and I hope you're still enjoying the ham!

Anonymous said...

I've got a ham that keeps on giving also. :-) But it does keep life simpler!! --Ann

Jerralea said...

I'm so over ham!

I've been toying with the idea of connecting with my bible study class using Zoom. I'm not sure how they would like it, though!

I really miss being with my church family.

It's great your cell phone provider gave you such a bonus. Enjoy!

Willow said...

I am so thankful for Skype and Zoom so we can keep in contact. I'm glad you are able to do your small group that way.
Everyone is recommending I Still Believe--I need to watch it. I got I Am Patrick and loved it.
Walks and workouts! Good for you. You give me inspiration to do stretches and strength training in addition to all our walks.
Happy at home Weekend!

ellen b. said...

So many new things to learn in this isolation time. Ham leftovers...tonight we made an egg skillet with ham and eggs and bell pepper, jalapenos, onion, cilantro and folded it into a warmed/toasted tortilla with cheese and a little taco sauce added. An egg burrito if you will. It was good. It's been good to connect with people using Zoom. Blessings!

nikkipolani said...

And yet, we were ham-less! Our neighbor likes to get honey-baked ham but there was a mixup and she couldn’t get any. Sounds you’ve made good use of the quantities at your disposal. I was going to put some ham in a quiche. Glad to hear you are finding ways to stay in touch as well.