Thursday, January 02, 2020

Friday's Fave Five #565



Happy 2020!  Welcome to the first Friday's Fave Five of a new year and a new decade!  I'm so please you have joined me in starting our new year off with a step in the right direction...one of intentional gratefulness for the good blessings in our lives.

I missed the last FFF of 2019 and now I kind of regret it, it being the last FFF of a decade.  But I didn't think of that at the time, all I was thinking of was soaking up every second of my visiting kid's time that I could with nothing interfering with that.  So I missed it in favor of quality time with them.

But I'm starting the year off with a heart of gratefulness for God's goodness in my life.

~family togetherness~ this past couple of weeks I have been particularly grateful for that family together time.  While I am always extremely thankful for that, this year in particular it has hit me hard because of another family's very hard Christmas.  It's a family I have known since high school, the father I worked with when we worked for the school district in the same classroom and I have had the cousin's children in my dayhome and we bought our last vehicle from the uncle.  You see, the 26 year old son went missing at the end of November.  Headed back to school after visiting with his mom here.  A week later the police contacted the family saying his  very burnt out truck had been found by some hikers in another province at the beginning of a very remote trailhead.  At this point they reported him missing.  They had no idea he had not made it home.  He is still missing.  It's like he's vanished off the face of the earth in the midst of some very suspicious and weird findings.  No one knows a thing.  All this has grieved and broke my heart for him and his family.  I've been praying for them and his safe return every time I think of it during my day.  But it also made me especially aware this Christmas to be in the moment and of being mindful of cherishing my own family as I knew another family is living in fear and grief, trying to hold out hope that their loved one will be found and returned to them.  So I set the computer aside and enjoyed my adult children while they were here very aware of how precious that time is.

~winter light festival~  On Friday after Christmas we headed out to go see the movie "Jumanji 2"  but when we were 2 people away from the till it was announced that the show was sold out.  There was nothing else we all wanted to see, so we left the theatre kind of disappointed.  We tossed some suggestions around for another activity, but for one reason or another none of them were meeting our criteria.  And then I remembered the winter light festival at the Japanese Gardens.  It's only been going a couple of years here in our city but I've always wanted to go but never have.  So we grabbed a St*rbucks and headed over.  It turned out to be awesome.  We actually had lovely weather.  Wintery but not bitterly cold or windy.  The displays were lovely.  No Santa's or sleigh's or that kind of thing.  But they worked the lights beautifully into the serenity of a Japanese garden complete with waterfall and stream and Mount Fuji made out of the lights.  It even had a Dragon boat made of lights as our city always hosts Dragon Boat races in the summer.  There were fire pits at regular intervals to warm up and we all got a turn at "ringing" the huge bell.  It was beautiful and also meaningful as the gardens always remind us of my Hubby's uncle, who was the mayor of the city when the Japanese Gardens were imagined and built.  It was built to celebrate Canada's centennial in 1967 and recognized what Japanese families and culture had contributed to our city.  The Prince and Princess of the Japanese Imperial family came and opened the gardens.  It's a lovely, peaceful place and looked beautiful all decked out in her lights.  This may become a tradition, weather permitting.





~yummy Christmas meal~ This year I really had a hard time deciding what to make for our family Christmas meal.  It was a weird year where the kids were arriving on different days, those days being Christmas Day and Boxing Day, so I really tossed around just going super simple.  But the turkey dinner won out and I'm so thankful it did.  It's traditional for us.  And it turned out really good.  I finally figured out to rest the turkey for a full hour.  Not a drop of juice ran onto the cutting board and the turkey was super moist and tender.  And there is the turkey buns we get to eat for days, so a break from cooking!

~a very relaxed lovely birthday~  I got to do all my favorite things...coffee, reading, shopping and sushi dinner.  Couldn't of been a nicer day.

~relaxed new year's~ New Year's is always a tough one for me.  By then I'm starting to feel the exhaustion of the holidays and I'm not much of a partier.  And this year especially I wasn't feeling it.  When the kids are here my sis usually has us all over for munchies and games or a movie.  But this year the oldest and her hubby had already gone home, our son was going to his friend's who he hadn't visited with yet and our youngest ended up staying at her home nursing a migraine.  So we just stayed home.  Hubby wasn't feeling 100% so he went to bed early and I got some precious down time to myself.  It was wonderful.

Thanks for joining me once again for FFF.  It wouldn't be the same without you!  What were your favorites from the last week?



11 comments:

a spirit of simplicity said...

Wow! That light festival looks so beautiful. I’ve never been to anything like that but I think I’ll add it to something I do next year. We had a relaxing New Year as well and loved it. I’m back at school/work for professional development day and then school resumes with the students on Monday. I kind of miss those little urchins!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Susanne. That is so very sad and scary about the young man who is missing. My youngest son is about that age, os when here of college students in trouble, makes my mom heart ache for his mom and dad. Prayers for his safe return. I love those Christmsa lights! Beautiful! Sounds like a good Christmas/New Year's break for you, and Happy Belated Birthday! Good thing this has been a short week so we can all rest up from our break!

Faith said...

That light show is right up my alley!! I love holiday light displays but this one sounds like i would LOVE!! I've only been to one Japanese Garden ( San Francisco) but i loved every walk way, every flower, every bridge. Just beautiful!!

Love the family togetherness and relaxing days formcoffee and books.

And wow....I'm going to pray for that young man!! He's my Courtney's age!! My first thought was suicide? But if they didn't find a body in the truck.....( do they know how the fire started in the vehicle??) my second thought is human trafficking. Because the traffickers do NOT just take children, ( am currently reading a book about this problem) it's gotta be devastating to your friends. I'm glad you shared this because one of my goals for 2020 is to pray more intentionally and I'm on this. If it's ok i will share this with my new small group as well but only with your permission.

Have a relaxing weekend!

Jerralea said...

Susanne, I love those pictures from the light festival! Gorgeous!

Relaxed holidays are my favorite - glad you got to experience it.

Prayers for your friend's son's safe return. May the Lord be especially near to them.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for providing this forum. I appreciate your lists! Our family comes and goes throughout Christmas also - so different from when the children were younger. And belated happy birthday to you. I have a December birthday also (15th), but since it's before Christmas, it's not relaxing at all - it's in one of the most hectic parts. :-) --Ann

Wendy said...

That must be so worrying for your friends. I hope you have good news of their son soon. The Japanese gardens look wonderful. I'm glad you had a good Christmas and New Year. Belated birthday wishes. And thanks for keeping the FFF going into a new decade!

Willow said...

Time with your family, especially out of town kids, is the best, very best, part of any week! I'm so glad you had all those days and experiences together.
The light show looks beautiful!
Happy New Year! And Happy (quiet) Birthday!

nikkipolani said...

So beautiful those light displays! Looks like you had a rich time with your loved ones with reminders all around of how precious your time together really is. Happy new year, friend. Keep those FFFs going!

Karen said...

What a lovely way to start your new year, with some quiet personal time on New Year's Eve. The light festival looks awesome. Our botanic gardens does one and we went a couple of years ago. I'd love to go back and make it a tradition, as you said. Our Christmas was very different this year without our kids. Looking forward to getting them all back together at some point. Prayers for the young man who is missing and for his family. I can't even begin to imagine. Thank you for keeping up with the FFF tradition. My goal is to stay with it as much as possible this year! xo

Barbara Harper said...

So sorry to hear about the missing young man. I can only imagine the grief the family is going through.

The light festival looks gorgeous! Glad you had time with all your kids even though they came and left at different times.

I can't believe I forgot to mention New Year's Eve in my FFF! My son, d-i-l, and grandson came over for snacks and the old animated 101 Dalmatians. Then they wanted to get home before any inebriated people were driving, so left around 10, I think. I usually stay up and turn on the TV just long enough to see the ball drop, but fell asleep on the couch and didn't wake up in time.

Belated happy birthday! Glad you got to do things you love!

ellen b. said...

Happy belated birthday to you and a very Happy New Year to you and yours!