Friday, November 22, 2019

Friday's Fave Five #560


Hi everyone.  Welcome to Friday's Fave Five.  It's all about being intentional in looking for blessings during the last week no matter how the week went.   When we become intentional in doing this it shifts our focus from everything that goes wrong or may not be to our expectations or our liking to one of realizing the hand of God in our everyday and how many good things are there if we just look.  When we develop our ability to truly become grateful our hearts become full instead of always chasing after the next thing we think will fill the hole.  Please join us as we endeavor to build grateful hearts.




~fresh haircut and foils~  I am usually happy whenever this happens in my life but this time around I was especially thankful.  Funny story, though not really, but I fried my hair about 6 weeks ago.   I was doing my usual morning routine using the flat iron on my hair, when I noticed what I thought was steam coming from the strand of hair that I was working on.  I didn't think anything of it except that I hadn't dried my hair properly and when the iron hit it it created a bit of steam and I continued on.  Then all of a sudden my hubby is at the bathroom door asking me if I was perming my hair.  And I'm like "Say what?"  And he says he can smell burning hair.  Well, what do you know it was smoke and not steam!  My flat iron must have broken it's thermostat and now a whole lot of my hair was a dry, fried  mess.  I lived with it dry like that for 6 weeks but finally it was time for my appointment and I was never so glad to have a trim to get rid of all that.  My stylist was really sweet and also put a super conditioner on it for 10 minutes and now it's almost back to normal.  Needless to say that flat iron hit the garbage and I had to go looking for a new one.  Praise God for Marshalls that has good brand name ones for a decent price.

~shoebox gifts loaded and ready to deliver to the collection center~ Sunday was what we call Bring 'em Back Sunday at church.  It's always such a thrilling time seeing everyone carrying in their full boxes and praying over them as a church before we send them off.



~ relaxed work week~ last week and this week there have been several families on vacation or taking extra days off.  While I love it most when all the kids are at dayhome, once in awhile it's nice to have a bit of a break too.  This week has been more relaxed, more easy going and a wee bit quieter with only 3 or 4 attending each day.  I've been enjoying it.

~ quiet celebration for Hubby's birthday~ Hubby is just not a partier and prefers just a nice dinner with family.  Yesterday for his birthday he was especially busy with work so he didn't even really feel like  going out for dinner.  So I made him his absolute favorite dish and our daughter who still lives in the city joined us for a nice, quiet dinner at home.  I enjoy cooking him his favorite foods and he was just as happy with that as with an expensive restaurant dinner.

~supportive leadership~ I am very grateful for supportive leaders at my church.  This last week I had to discuss something with the small groups leadership that had occurred within our small group and that I wasn't sure how to handle.   They were so supportive and had some great suggestions.  I left the meeting feeling like a huge burden had been lifted off my shoulders.  


What have been your favorite five blessings of the week?





9 comments:

Willow said...

Oh dear. That is not a good thing to have happen to your hair. I'm glad it's fixed now and that you have a new flat iron. (This is the main reason I don't do that--it would be my hair, for sure)
I love how our church handles various issues and how supportive everyone is. I'm glad your church is like that, too.
Your hubby sounds like mine--no fuss. A quiet Happy Birthday to him!
Our OCC boxes were all stacked up in the fellowship hall on Sunday! So many of them! It was wonderful to see!
Happy Weekend to you!

Gattina said...

I am sorry but I had to laugh about your hair adventure ! I imagined a cartoon ! Fortunately it's all gone now ! If I would have had this, no hair would be left, fortunately you have a lot !

a spirit of simplicity said...

The back of your car looks so wonderful filled with all of those boxes and prayers!

Faith said...

Omgoodness.....your hair!! Thank God hubby noticed it! And yay for good stylists who fix us up!

Sunday is our big collection day for OCC. our lobby is getting full of boxes, we are also a collection center so it's especially exciting to walk in and see all those boxes lined up, brings a smile to my face.

That's usually how i like to celebrate my birthday too. I do like going out for breakfast though! Happy birthday to your guy!

A true blessing to have a quieter work week and good leadership to go to and discuss issues. Always a blessing!!!!

Happy weekend! I'm going to try to participate next week but i will be in a hotel near Boston so not sure if I'll get to the FFF or not. It might not get posted until later that weekend.

Barbara Harper said...

Oh wow! I didn't know flat irons could do that! I'm glad your hair is all fixed up now.

We brought our OCC boxes last week, too. So fun!

It's nice to have a quieter work week than normal. Most of our family likes quiet birthday celebrations, too. I like going out to eat for mine, but then back home for cake.

That was so helpful that your church leadership was so supportive. Sometimes it's hard to know whether to bring things up, but often the pastoral staff has dealt with all kinds of things and has good wisdom to share.

Susan @ FruitfulWords said...

How fun to collect and pray over everyone’s occ boxes as a church. I never thought to do that. This next year I’m going to suggest that our church pray for our boxes. I love operation Christmas child so much and it is such a privilege partnering with this ministry.
Oh, my. Your poor hair. Burnt hair smells so awful. How nice to get your hair looking its best again.
Hooray for a relaxed work week and for a relaxEd birthday celebration. I love home-cooked meals, too. I bet your husband felt loved. Belated birthday greetings to him.
Have a sweet week, Susanne.

Wendy said...

Well I'm glad you've got your hair fixed and no lasting damage. Belated birthday wishes to your hubby. I think we're all entitled to celebrate our birthdays in the way that works best for us. I'm glad you got good support for that issue and yes a lighter work week is definitely a blessing. Enjoy your weekend.

ellen b. said...

Sorry about the hair incident. Glad you had some special care with your stylist. Sounds like a great celebration for a non partier. Hope your weekend is going along well...

Deb J. in Utah said...

HI Susanne! I am back in blog land and hope to be joining in once again with your lovely Friday Fave Fives! Hope your next week is good. Sounds like you had much to be grateful for last week. I love this gratitude practice! See you again soon.
~ Deb Jones