Friday, July 12, 2019

Friday's Fave Five #541




Hi and welcome once again to Friday's Fave Five.  Come and join us as we intentionally take a moment to pause and look for the blessings in our lives from the past week.  Whether it's what we would consider a good or bad week, it is the ground where God hides those pearls and sometimes they are obvious and sometimes we must keep our eyes open.  Doing it intentionally causes it to become a habit to look for God moments in our everyday, our mundane, our routine, and yes, even in our pain.  The more we do it, the easier it becomes.

This was one of those weeks where I was busy but with nothing to terribly exciting except for a special birthday.  It's one of those weeks where everything just felt super routine.  It's those weeks that I find Imust look a bit harder to get out of a rut of just getting through the week.  So in no particular order here are 5 of the blessings that I found in my life.

1.  Sunday service.  So good this week.  Worship was wonderful, the youth leader delivered a great message wrapped in plenty of humor and there was new people to meet.  I got to chat with a few people I hadn't seen in awhile which was really nice.  I love going to Sunday services.

2.  Birthday dinner out for my mom.  Mom turned 87 this week.  And for the most part, she is still doing really well.  She still lives in her own home and gets around, so we are very grateful for that.   Hubby and I took her to Tony Roma's for ribs.  My sis and her hubby also joined us.  She loves those ribs and then back to my sis's house for Tiramisu (from Costco) which she also loves.  It was a nice evening celebrating her.



3.  Spot filled.  I had a space open up in my dayhome and through word of mouth the spot has already been filled for September.  So thankful for that.  I didn't have to pay for advertising.  It's people that one of my current parents know well so it's not quite like having total strangers from an ad coming into my home and I can rest easy and enjoy the summer knowing the spot is filled.  Big relief.

4.  Appointments over and done with.  I had two appointments I had to get done and just couldn't seem to get to them.  For me to have an appointment I have to arrange with my daughter who watches the kids in the dayhome for me.  This gets complicated as she works pretty much full hours, so her off hours when she can help has to match an available time slot wherever I have to have the appointment.  Sometimes it's several phone calls back and forth.  Well I finally got the last two over and done with.  Whew.  Now hopefully I won't have to have anymore for awhile.

5.  Only child.  Tuesday I had only one child attending dayhome, which means we got to go do some fun things off location.  With a field trip permission signed by the parents, she and I went to the library.  She got to do a fun nature craft, play with some toys and help choose the next round of books for the dayhome.  Then we picked up chicken fries at a burger joint, added the to our grapes from home and took them to the lake for lunch.  We hit up two playgrounds and when we got back she fell into bed exhausted and ready for her nap.  This gave me a chance to enjoy a relaxing cup of coffee and read some of my book without interruption.  I love these easy summer days when only one or two show up.  It gives me a chance to spoil them and treat them to special activities I can't do with a full house of six.

What were your favorite blessings this week?






9 comments:

a spirit of simplicity said...

I work in a family day care center where it would never, ever be just one child so I can imagine how nice that must have been.

Faith said...

We are so much alike!!! I also wrote about great church service and a special birthday!

Praise God the spots are done and thatmyour spot in daycare is filled! That's a huge relief I'm guessing. Canada allows you to have six children with one adult? Here in the states you can't have more than 5 per adult. Well, in NYS i mean. I think different states have different regulations. In my special ed oreK class it's 5 children to one teacher and we are a 12:1:2 program. Master teacher and two assistant teachers. 1:1 aides are hired for specific children who need them. Back when i was master teacher it was a 10:1:1 program which was great!! I just had to deal with one assistant. You are a great provider to take the little ones out for special activities! She must have loved it.

Enjoymyour wedkend!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to your mom!! I know you enjoyed the special day with just one child, and I'm sure the child enjoyed it also.

Thank you for hosting this FFF every week. I enjoy writing it (cannot always do it on Fridays, but am glad to do it when I can), and I especially enjoy reading others' FFFs. --Ann

(I'm commenting as anonymous because my weird computer doesn't like to let me sign in to my google account.)

Barbara Harper said...

I agree, sometimes the more routine weeks seem a bit harder to come up with five favorite things. But then it's all the more rewarding to find them. Happy birthday to your mom! It's such a blessing she can be in her own home and doing so well.

Glad your appointments are over with and you don't have to think of or deal with that kind of thing for a while.

How good to have all your spots filled for the fall, and how fun to be able to do some special things with just one child sometimes.

Susanne said...

Faith: Here in Alberta dayhomes are allowed to have up to six children but they must fall into certain age categories and you must include your own children, if you have young ones, into the count. We must not have more than 2 under the age of 2, or 3 under the age of 3 with a total of six all together. I'm sure if there is special needs most dayhome providers would adjust accordingly. But I think most special needs children would go to daycares where they would be funded for assistants and programming. I don't know the requirements for ratios in daycares as I've never worked for or dealt with a daycare.

Willow said...

Happy Birthday to your mom! I'm so glad she is independent and living in her own home (that's my hope, too).
It's obvious that you love your dayhome kids. The outing sounds like so much fun for her!
Church is the best place to build your own faith and to build those friendships which are so important.

Susan Wright said...

It has been a while since I've done an FFF, but almost every Friday I think Of y'all. :)

I love how you spoiled your day home kid. You certainly made some great memories with her.

I love church, too. It is a great place to minister and be ministered to.

Happy belated birthday greetings to your mom. The festivities sound perfect.

have a good week, Suzanne.

ellen b. said...

Happy birthday to your dear mom and how wonderful that she can still live on her own. Glad you had a fun day with just one dayhome child in your care. Nice. Hope your weekend is going well.

Wendy said...

Happy birthday to your Mom. She looks very well in that lovely pic. Yes some weeks it is definitely easier to find the blessings. My blessing of this week was a weekend away but that meant there was no time to post on Friday.