Friday, June 07, 2019

Friday's Fave Five #536



Welcome to the Friday's Fave Five.  Our first one for June.  We've had a glorious week of lovely weather but that should be changing tonight to cold showers.  And say it isn't so, snow in the mountain areas.  But we're here to look for the blessings of the past week, not cry over the weather so onwards and upwards to thankful hearts.  Please join us in pausing to take note of your five favorite blessings of the week.

1.  Decluttering my library "for later" shelves. One of the online services of our library's site is a list of "shelves" you can place add books to.  There is a "In progress" shelf, a "Completed" shelf and a "For Later" shelf.  Well my for later shelf had grown to the ridiculous number of 515 books!  Because I'm weird that way, it was starting to stress me out.  The sheer number of books on there and I couldn't even remember putting most of them on there or know what they were about by looking at the picture.  So this week I made it my goal to go through those shelves and getting honest with myself about whether I thought I would honestly ever read each particular book and deleting the ones I could answer no to.  It's taking a bit of time but I'm about half done and so far I've deleted about 75 books.  Feels wonderful.  I know it's virtual books and not actual physical books but it does create a sense of freedom to see that total number diminish.

2.  Dress shopping success.  We have a wedding to go to that is up in the mountains.  The invitation stated dress was "mountain casual".  Oy.  What on earth is mountain casual?  I actually had to search it on pinterest.  LOL.  And yes, there is an actual category.  I had a summer dress I was thinking of but in looking ahead to the expected weather at that time and it was not looking like a summery type of climate.  So then I was stressing what to wear because either I have too casual or too dressy.  But I made a quick trip to Marshalls and found something springy yet with sleeves to the elbows that I think is perfect.  And I really like it so know I will rewear it.  And it was on clearance.

3.  Curbside recycling.  Our city finally has gotten the curbside recycling going.  Up to now we have had to take our recycling ourselves to the centers or else hire a private company to come get it.  But now the city provides a nice big bin and picks it up every other week.  I'm kinda liking not having the extra chore of getting to the centers and just parking the bin in the alley for pickup.

4.  Easy wedding shopping.  The bride and groom were registered online at a site called myregistry.com.  One could go online and purchase gifts from various stores that they had chosen including gift cards and have it shipped right to them.  I chose a gift card to one of the stores and one of the options was having that gift card emailed to them.  I chose that option so that an actual gift card would not get misplaced as their wedding is at a guest ranch up in the mountains and not in their home city.  Easy peasy, no stress.  Loved this idea. 

5.  Flowers all planted.  Finally got all my bedding out plants and flower pots planted.  It's always a whole afternoon type of job, but the weather was lovely and the job is done.  Now praying they grow and bloom.  I don't have lots of flower beds but I do like the one I have and the few pots that I have by the front door and on the deck.  Just enough splashes of color and lovely blooms without all the work of mega flower beds.

What were your favorite blessings this week?






4 comments:

Gattina said...

When I look at our book shelves and in the basement I get a nervous breakdown ! There must be over 1000 books, what to do with them when we are moving out of the house into an apartment ? I start already to give them away or sell them. Nice that you found the dress !
We always had one a month curbside recycling. Since 2 years we have to do it ourselves bring it to a center or hire a truck from the city ! Just the other way around !!

Barbara Harper said...

My To Be Read list will outlive me, but I figure that way I'll always have something to look forward to. :-) But yes, sometimes it's stressful and it helps to pull off a few of those "why did I ever put THAT on there" books.

Glad you got such a great deal on a dress not only for this event, but usable for other occasions as well. I had no idea mountain casual was a category! I love wedding registries, too, and the ease of getting the gifts to the couple.

We've had curbside recycling where we lived before, and it does make it so much more convenient.

I still haven't gotten my bedding plants yet - that's usually done in May. I don't have that many, either, but I have a handful of planters I like to update each spring. Kudos to you for getting it done!

Willow said...

We have always had curbside recycling in the places where we've lived, so I was surprised to find out my daughters don't. They do have options for paying extra or taking it to a center.

Wedding gifts can be a stressor. I've used the registries, too, and yes, they are really helpful. And wedding guest clothes-- not my favorite shopping! I'm glad you found something suitable in 'mountain casual'. Now I'm going to have to go look that up!

Isn't it interesting how any kind of decluttering can feel so freeing?

I hope you get some sunshine back!

Faith said...

That actually sounds like a fun wedding!! And yay for a dress you can rewear AND was on sale!

We live in suburban Albany so although the city has roadside recycling our town does not. We have to hire private company. But they're great, come once a week for trash and recycling and we can recycle just about everything. All at one tri-monthly cost.

My To be read list is long too...i should sit this weekend and go through mine as I'm sure i won't get to allthose books.

I don't have a lot of flowers in my garden either, i have a few pots on the deck and front stoop. I tend to have perennials.

Enjoy the weekend and hopefully you won't get snow!!! Yikes!!!!