Friday, May 24, 2019

Friday's Fave Five #534




Happy Friday to everyone!  We're here intentionally looking for and recognizing the blessings in our lives.  Learning to look for the blessings when things are good help us to develop a habit, and this habit will help us when times are choppy and rough. Having a thankful attitude that looks for the blessings is good for our mental health and helps us to recognize that God is at work and cares about us no matter what we are facing in life.  Please join us as we put this into practice.

1.  Long weekend.  This past Monday was Victoria Day here in Canada which meant a long weekend for me.  Hubby and I decided to make a trip to Edmonton to give our son a visit.  He comes down here on a regular basis but we wanted to give him a visit on his turf.  It was a lovely couple of days spent laughing, visiting, eating good food and doing a little shopping.  I think my son appreciated that we took the time and effort to go there even if he was just here the week before.  It was a really nice get away for Hubby and I, one I think both of us really needed.



2. Muttart Conservatory visit.  While in Edmonton, Hubby wanted to go and visit this landmark attraction.  You can't miss it when looking at the pictures of downtown Edmonton.  Situated along the river, it stands out because it's 3 tall glass pyramid buildings.  It's a spectacular display of over 700 species of plants including the infamous Corpse plant which unfortunately, or possibly fortunately, was not in bloom during our visit.  Each pyramid has a different climate and features plants of that climate...temperate, tropical and arid and then a feature biome which they change up on a regular basis.  They also feature lots of artwork which was really cool.  It was a lovey way to pass a couple of hours.





Can you guess which picture is from which room?

3.  Great hotel room.  We tried a new hotel this time around because our son had moved so we wanted something closer to where he lived.  We like to get a room that has an actual bedroom because Hubby is an early bird and I'm a night owl and this assures we both get the rest we are craving when we get away.  I found an awesome hotel that had an absolutely beautiful room that met our needs for pretty much the same price as we would have paid for a normal room.  It had a great kitchenette and a huge bathroom and the bed was super comfortable.  Always a blessing when we can find what we want within our budget.

4.  Dishwashers.  As I was loading my umpteenth load this week into the dishwasher, I remembered to say a prayer of thankfulness for this appliance.  With a dayhome, sometimes there are lots of dishes and I am very grateful for this hardworking "maid".

5.  Blueberry treat.  Costco has had some amazing organic blueberries of late.  I'm once again trying to cut back on sugar in my diet but was craving something dessert-y.  I put some in a bowl with cinnamon and poured a touch of half and half over top.  It perfectly fit the craving without a drop of sugar.  Yummy!

What were your favorite blessings this week?









7 comments:

Gattina said...

I love this kind of little get aways, it ressources me, it's like little holidays.

Faith said...

Love the glass pyramid! That's reminding me of the one outside the Louvre when we were in Paris. My husband would love exploring the ones in Edmonton due to the science, etc. looks nice...the photos!!

I l.ove blueberries and have been eating them all week on oatmeal and in my smoothie bowls. Yum!!

I never wanna take dishwashers and washers for granted!

Enjoy the weekend!

Barbara Harper said...

That sounds like a great get-away, with a wonderful hotel, time with your son, and a great place to visit. I LOVE my dishwasher, too! One of the best inventions ever!

Wendy said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend and I'm sure your son appreciated it. Yes I'm always glad of my dishwasher even though there are only 2 of us at home now I wouldn't be without it. Enjoy your weekend.

Willow said...

Your getaway sounds like it was perfect--a good hotel, time with your son, that wonderful conservatory (except for the corpse plant!). I zeroed right in on the desert scape since that is familiar to me where I live.
I am so thankful for my dishwasher and my washing machine!
Yes, Costco's organic blueberries are wonderful. I eat some every morning on my breakfast granola.

ellen b. said...

Love those kinds of getaways. Glad you had an enjoyable time and made the most of your long weekend! I've been enjoying blueberries from our local market with my yogurt. Hope this weekend is a restful one for you.

Karen said...

The blueberries sound delicious served up that way. Your getaway sounds so nice! I agree that it is nice to get out of town, even with just the two of us. It gives us something new to share and focus on. I'm sure your son was pleased to share his part of the world with you.