Friday, April 19, 2019

Friday's Fave Five #529


Hello everyone!  I'm back from my mission trip with Operation Christmas Child and boy oh boy there is so much to share.  I got back at the end of last week but between major jet lag, exhaustion, a very busy but shortened work week and just trying to process everything from the trip I just haven't had a chance to post on my trip.  But I will during this next week!  Today we will focus on 5 blessings from the past week that we are thankful for.

~ a short work week ~ with jet lag and just needing to catching up on rest, I am very thankful this was a short work week.   Because this was a mission trip and not a "lay around by the pool" vacation, it was quite exhausting.  Add to that some kind of virus my body was fighting the whole time in Costa Rica and still is, work wiped me right out each day.  So glad I can have an extra day to catch up.

~ getting to share with my ladies group ~ my ladies group had to cancel study this week because there was a provincial election and our church is used a voting station.  I was just going to cancel but the ladies all wanted to meet for coffee to hear all the stories from the mission trip.  I am so thankful to have such an invested and supportive group of ladies to do life with.

~ WhatsApp ~ our OCC team decided to picture share on WhatsApp.  One of the team members got us all hooked up and everyone has been generous in sharing their pictures from the trip.  So thankful for this.  But it's also become a wonderful community where we are staying in touch and sharing life and prayer requests.  We came from all over Canada with different lives and backgrounds but God knit our hearts together on this trip and it's such a wonderful thing to be able to continue our relationships beyond the mission trip.  Thankful for technology for keeping in touch.

~toasted coconut cheesecake ~ totally indulgent and totally delicious.

~  dad settled in ~  while I was gone my Dad moved into assisted living.   He and his wife have been on a waiting list for awhile for the one they wanted to get into and unfortunately they got the call it would happen while I happened to be gone.  Praise God my sister and step sister were able to move them in and get them settled.  Though I think my Dad is sad as he works through having to give up his beloved dog and his home, I was glad to see he was settled in and that he actually has a really nice big room where he can be comfortable.

What have been your favorite blessings this week?

Next week I'll start sharing about my trip.  I'll do it over several days as there was so much packed into it that I want to tell you about.   Hopefully it will inspire you.  But for now I wish you all a very happy Easter!






7 comments:

Gattina said...

It seems you had a very interesting and wonderful stay in Costa Rica ! I know how it is when coming back ! That your poor Dad had to give up his dog is a shame, we have now more and more senior residence who accept pets for the well being of the seniors. I think it's cruel to separate the two !

Faith said...

Happy homecoming!! I've loved looking at your photos of the mission trip you've posted on FB! Can't wait to read more. Maybe this will be on my bucket list for when i retire from teaching!!!

happy Resurrection Day!,

Wendy said...

I'm glad you got back safely and look forward to hearing about your trip. I hope you're soon fully recovered too. Happy Easter

Susanne said...

Gattina: Yeah it was sad, but my sister took the dog (who is a senior too). And she'll take him for visits. That is hard though too cause it's like ripping off a bandaid all the time.

Barbara Harper said...

I'm looking forward to hearing more about the trip! Glad you had a shorter work week the first week back. I hope you recover from this virus completely soon. It's so nice your ladies group wanted to get together instead of canceling. I havren't used WhatsApp but it's the preferred method of my d-i-l's parents. It's nice to have a central place to share and keep in touch. It's hard in many ways to move a parent into assisted living. I hope your dad adjusts well. Many of those facilities have so many opportunities for activities, it's easy to find enjoyable things to do once you get used to the differences from your former life.

Willow said...

Oh I'm so glad you had such a great trip! Looking forward to reading all about it!
And yes, while it is hard to say goodbye to your old independent life, it is wonderful to move into a place where there is a bit of oversight and care. I know by watching my father and some of our friends that while initially it is hard, later on they were thankful and felt like they had a real community where they lived.
Happy Happy Easter! He is risen!

ellen b. said...

Welcome home! Looking forward to hearing about your trip. Glad your dad got settled nicely.