And we're finally back...
Whew, it's been a crazy day with everything so far but I'm finally able to catch a minute to see if I can get 5 favorite blessings from the week posted.
1. Visit from my son. My son was able to get some well deserved down time and come home for a few days. So very nice to have him here. His friend came along with him and we've been having a good visit. I love whenever my kids can get home. I really miss them.
2. Day trip to Calgary. This is always fun and we always have our favorite places to visit there. This time we took a trip to the Calgary Farmer's Market and the Chinook Mall. The Farmer's Market is always a treat with lots of delicious food and fun products. There is almost always buskers playing and singing and providing entertainment. It's just such a fun, busy environment. I even found a Christmas present already. Just hope I remember I bought it come December. :/
3. First lesco of the year. Come August when the peppers start making an appearance we start getting a craving for a wonderful Hungarian peasant dish called lesco. Growing up in a Hungarian household my Mom made the best but I give it a good shot each year. It's usually made with sweet banana peppers or sweet yellow Hungarian peppers, but this time at the farmer's market I was able to score some wonderful purple peppers too. Big bonus is it takes only about 1/2 hour at the most from stove to table and is super easy. And seeing my son loves this dish, I made a batch while he was here. I'll post the lecso recipe this week. It was fun to get his friend, who is from China, to try this dish as had brought us all sorts of Chinese treats to try. I can now officially say I have tried Chinese snack foods such as Shredded dried Squied, Spicy Bean Curd, Spicy rice crackers, and something like a cereal square but chewier rather than crispy, and a meat appetizer that was cooked with all sorts of traditional Chinese spices such as cinammon and cardomon.
4. Chocolate Cherry Bread Pudding. I have not baked in a long, long, long time. My hubby no longer eats sugar, and I have cut way, way back. If I have a sweet it's at dinner at someone else's house or a restaurant and it's rare. If I have it around I know I will just eat it until it's gone. But seeing the guys were home AND I had stale hamburger buns and some frozen cherries that needed eating I made this yummy bread pudding. I used half the sugar and it still was so delicious. It was a hit with everyone and again so easy. I'll post that recipe next week too.
5. Mini at home holiday. Wrapping up our staycation week last weekend Hubby and I took some bike rides, river bottom walks and actually ate pizza at a restaurant. I love holidays and going places but I also like staycations too. I find they are a bit more relaxed. On holidays we tend to be on the go so much, taking in sights and events and shopping of the place we are visiting. But at home it's totally down time and we go with the flow. Sleeping in, chilling with me reading and him doing his music stuff on the computer, not having to be anywhere or do anything. We had pizza at a pub where hubby has does business with the owner and it was amazing. We'll be getting that again. I could have used another week, it seems I just get the stress of work and day to day shaken off and get totally relaxing and the week is over, but I am thankful for that week!
Whew, so there were my favorite blessings from the week. Thanks for joining in!