Saturday, January 02, 2016

2015 Reading Challenge Category List

Semicolon is hosting a book list link up on Saturday so I thought I'd join in with a list of the how I fared with 2015's Reading Challenge.  I thought it would be interesting to list the books as they fit into each of the categories.  Don't know if that will interest any of you but it does me so that's how I will roll on this one.  Now most of the books I read can fit into more than one category so I tried to choose one category for them each but for a few I had to use one title several times.   On the other side of the coin, there were some books that didn't make the list because I already filled the category with another book.   Some of the books I read intentionally to fit the categories and some I read for my own choice of pleasure and then fit them into the appropriate category.  If in multiple categories the author is only mentioned once.  In A book set in a different country category that to me meant other than Canada or USA, otherwise I would have been able to list pretty much all of the books.

1) A Book with More than 500 pages:  Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill (I cheated a bit with this one - It came in at 474.

2) A Classic Romance:

3) A Book That Became A Movie:  "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova

4) A Book Published This Year:  "A House Divided" by Robert Whitlow

5) A Book With a Number in the Title:  "The Hundred Foot Journey" by Richard C. Morais

6) A Book Written By Someone Under 30:  "Miracle on Voodoo Mountain" by Megan Boudreaux

7) A Book with Non-Human Characters:  "Life Of Pi" by Yann Martel

8) A Funny Book:  "Invisible Ellen" by Shari Shattuck

9) A Book by a Female Author:  "Girl Runner" by Carrie Snyder;

10) A Mystery or Thriller:  "Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins

11) A Book with a One Word Title:  "Betrayed" by Lisa Scottoline

12) A Book of Short Stories:  "Wicked Women of the Bible" by Ann Spangler

13) A Book Set in a Different Country:  "Hansi-The Girl Who Loved the Swastika" by Maria Ann Hirschmann (Germany); "Miracle on Voodoo Mountain" (Haiti); "How to Be An American Housewife" (Japan); A Man Called Ove (Sweden)

14) A Non-Fiction Book:  "Laura Ingalls Wilder Country - the people and places behind Laura Ingalls Wilder's life and books" by William Anderson

15)  A Popular Author's First Book:  "Little House in the Big Woods" by Laura Ingalls Wilder

16)  A Book From a Favourite Author You Haven't Read Yet:  "Water From My Heart" by Charles Martin

17)  A Pulitzer Prize Winning Book:  "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee

18)  A Book based on a True Story:  "GI Brides-the wartime girls who crossed the Atlantic for love" by Duncan Barrett and Nuala Calvi

19) A Book from the Bottom of Your To Read List:  "The Sweet By and By" by Sara Evans and  Rachel Hauck

20) A Book Your Mom Loves:

21) A Book That Scares You:  "Inside the O'Briens"  by Lisa Genova

22) A Book More Than a 100 years Old:

23) A Book Based Entirely on It's Cover:  "How to Be an American Housewife" by Margaret Dilloway

24) A Book You Were Supposed to Read in School but Didn't:

25) A Memoir:  "Hansi-The Girl Who Loved the Swastika" by Maria Ann Hirschmann

26) A Book you can finish in a day:  "You are Here-Around the World in 92 Minutes" by Chris Hadfield

27) A Book with Antonyms in the Title:  "Little House in the Big Woods" by Laura Ingalls Wilder

28) A Book Set Somewhere You've Always Wanted to Visit:  "The Boston Girl" by Anita Diamont

29) A Book That Came Out the Year You Were Born:  "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee

30) A Book with Bad Reviews:  "the Bookseller" by Cynthia Swanson (it had mixed reviews)

31) A Trilogy:  (I cheated on this because book #3 is not yet realeased) Mercy Medallion Trilogy books 1 and 2:  Traces of Mercy and Finding Mercy by Michael Landon Jr. and Cindy Kelley

32) A Book From Your Childhood:  "Little House in the Big Woods" by Laura Ingalls Wilder

33) A Book with a Love Triangle:  "Lethal Beauty" by Lis Wiehl

34) A Book Set in the Future

35) A Book Set in High School:  "Wonders Never Cease" by Phil Calloway

36) A Book with a Color in the Title

37) A Book that Made You Cry:  "A Man Called Ove" by Fredrik Backman

38) A Book with Magic

39) A Graphic Novel

40) A Book by an Author You've Never Read Before:  "Girl Runner" by Carrie Snyder

41) A Book you Own But Have Never Read:  "Book of Negroes" by Lawrence Hill

42) A Book that Takes Place in Your Hometown

43) A Book that Was Originally Written in a Different Language:  "A Man Called Ove" by Fredrik Backman

44) A Book Set During Christmas:  "52 Little Lessons from A Christmas Carol" by Bob Welch; "A Quilt for Christmas" by Sandra Dallas

45) A Book by An Author with Your Same Initials: "Invisible Ellen" by Shari Shattuck

46) A Play

47) A Banned Book:  "To Kill a Mockingbird"

48) A Book Based On or Turned Into a TV Show:  Little House In the Big Woods" by Laura Ingalls Wilder turned into Little House on the Prairie TV series

49) A Book You Started but Never Finished

50) A Book a Friend Recommended:  "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova


So out of 50 catagories I missed 11.  Too bad some of the books I read that I didn't list didn't fit into these empty categories.  A Play, a book set in the future, a book with magic and a graphic novel were so out of my usual reads that they sorta got left to the end and ultimately left behind.  I tried to get some kind of book set in my hometown but my brain was stuck in a fiction novel and I couldn't find one but I probably could have gone non-fiction had I thought of that...though rumor around these parts is that Frank Perretti's "This Present Darkness" was written with my hometown in mind but who knows for sure.  And as far as A book I started but never finished...well there must have been a reason I didn't finish it so why would I waste my time picking it up again when there are so many other books I want to read?  All in all I think I did not too shabby for a tough challenge.

4 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

You did a good job with this challenge. I played along with it too and filled many of the categories. I just posted my book list. Maybe later in the week, I will also post how each book fills a spot in the challenge. Have a great week! Hopefully I will have time to join you on Friday for FFF!

Barbara H. said...

That is still a good array of books! I wonder if they'll be doing a similar challenge this year. I'd be a little afraid to take it on, with the other challenges I'll be doing, but there would be some overlap between them.

Willow said...

Wow. I'm impressed. I didn't read that many books in so many different categories. I wonder if I could do it some year...

nikkipolani said...

You really stretched your horizons with this challenge!