Friday, August 21, 2015

Friday's Fave Five #342



Here's another addition of Friday's Fave Five.  Once again it has crept up on me. I don't know where my weeks are going!  But all the more reason to have a place to intentionally make note of the blessings in life lest they slip by without notice or thankfulness on my part.  Please join in as we take a peek over the week and find what was good.  If you are new the guidelines link in my sidebar.

1.  Homemade spaghetti sauce.  I don't know why I bother with the jar stuff when homemade is so delicious and fairly easy.   It just took a little time to simmer all those wonderful flavors together.  The hardest part was not constantly dipping into the pot to taste.  Add some meat and some cool shaped pasta to catch all that sauce and what a great meal.


2.  Homegrown tomatoes.  A friend gave us tomato plants at the beginning of the season, and the crop is coming in!  Everyday we go out and get a handful of delicious cherry tomatoes off the plant on the deck.  The bigger tomato plants are planted in my Mom's garden and they are starting to get ripe and delicious too!  There is nothing like a homegrown tomato.  Toasted tomato sandwiches, crowning bbq burgers, tossed in salads.  Yum!

3.  Taber corn.  Okay, it totally seems like all I think about is food, but seriously folks, August is corn season here and Taber corn is the best anywhere.  And because it's right in our backyard, we have corn stands popping up everywhere to buy the delicious golden cobs.  We've enjoyed the most tender peaches and cream corn, and this week the sweet golden corn has been knocking our socks off.  It's seriously so good, in reality, it doesn't need butter or salt, but hey, what fun is a cob of corn without being taken to the next level, right?


Photo courtesy of Canadian Badlands


4.  Warm days cooler evenings.  Once again it's been nice  to have nice warm days but the evenings are definitely cooling off which is really nice.  Letting fresh air in to cool off the house is something I prefer to air conditioned cold air.  

5.  Farmer's market trip.  How fun these trips are to pick up some yummy stuff.  There is just so much going on it's fun just to be there.  A quick lunch, Dave at the bbq booth, me at the Ukranian booth, a bag of spices, a couple bottles of gourmet olive oil.  It made for a fun road trip day.  It's really nice to get away a bit and just leave the pressures behind if only for an afternoon.


What were your favorites for the week?






12 comments:

Willow said...

Saturday is our farmers market day--if I posted each week how much I love my farmers market, people would be totally bored. But I do love it.
Yay for fresh tomatoes and corn!

Susan said...

It was my intent to go to my farmer's market on Saturday. I kept saying (all morning), "I need to get going." And when I finally did get going, I MISSED it. This is why I had to use store bought (although hot house variety) tomatoes. Boo.

Oh yummm regarding all the delicious fresh crops that you have easy access to. Yep - you HAVE to have butter and salt on corn on the cob.

Most summer days (here in NO Cal) have a cool delta breeze. It sure is a refreshing way to end a hot day. I echo your sentiment about air conditioning and much prefer the natural cool breeze.

Faith said...

we have farmers markets here too and i love them! in fact, Im headingmto one on Saturday to stock up some stuff for our trup next week!

love homemade sauce although I rarely do it anymore and definitely not with beef. this going meatless ( for the most part) has been interesting.

LOVE corn on the cob!! yum. Here in NY this is the month it is ready locally so we will be eating a lot of it in the next few weeks and yaya for local, raw tomatoes....lmy fave is sliced sitg a slice of mozzarella, basil leaves on flaxseed bread. YUMMY

enjoy the weekend

Janet said...

I've never tried homemade sauce, but yours looks delicious! It's inspiring me...

I'm participating for the first time in quite awhile, but I love this meme. Thanks for hosting it.

Barbara H. said...

Not much beats good, fresh corn on the cob! I am looking forward to cooler evenings, hopefully in a few weeks. I love homemade spaghetti sauce as well. Good stuff!

nikkipolani said...

Yum! I don't mind a food-centric fave at all! I know what you mean about homemade spaghetti sauce. I've taken to making a big batch and freezing some in varying sized containers. Mmmm fresh produce is the best. Isn't it wonderful all the delicious things God has made??

Karen said...

I found myself nodding "yes" to all of your favorites. Love homemade sauce. (Those little pastas are so cute!) The best corn around here is Olathe sweet corn. I can't get enough! And our tomatoes are going bonkers! End of summer is always bittersweet, but I do love September.

ellen b said...

That corn looks fabulous. We enjoyed Chilliwack corn and I'm sure this variety is just as good. Don't tell the farmers in Chilliwack I said that. Homemade is good! And...tomatoes off your own vine are so much better than store bought!

Gattina said...

With my Italian husband I learned to cook so many different sauces for pasta I had never thought that there were so many !

Ann said...

I wrote about summer produce also. Isn't it great! Our corn season (I live in the south) is late June/early July, so it's done now - but we certainly had a great time eating it while it was in season.

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a delicious post! I love fresh corn on the cob - in fact I bought some last week and we have been enjoying it this weekend. Would love the recipe for your pasta sauce. Just reading about it made my mouth water!

Jerralea said...

Oh, the smell of homemade spaghetti sauce simmering! Now I'm hungry.

Your farmer's market trip sounds like a lot of fun. In my area, they have the market on Tuesday mornings when I'm working. :(