Hi everyone. Welcome to another edition of Friday's Fave Five. Please join us as we look for blessings big and small in our week. This has been a bit of a tougher week for me so I'm really appreciating the discipline of this FFF. I know as I look it will change my focus off the tougher, disappointing stuff and onto the good things. Sometimes they just get a little buried in the trials of everyday and need a little intentionality (is that a word?) to dig them back out.
1. A weekday dinner with friends. Good friends of ours invited us over on Monday night for a bbq. That is very much out of our norm...but it was actually very nice. They made it for right after I get off work and cooked us up a delicious chicken dinner. The company and conversation was wonderful and we were home plenty early enough in the evening that it didn't interfere with our winding down to get to sleep.
2. Sparkling water. Hubby and I have cut pop out of our diet but sometimes plain water just doesn't cut it on a blazing hot summer day. I want a bit of fizz! I found this Dansani Black Cherry and Nestle Raspberry Lime Sparkling Waters. No calories, no sugar, and no phony sweetener either. So glad I found something that I actually like to fit into that beverage space. I still miss my Pepsi Lime every once in a while but not as badly as I thought I would.
3. Road trip to a Medieval Faire. My sister asked us to go along and we agreed, though with a bit of trepidation. Hubby and I really wondered how good it would be and what we had got ourselves into. I'll tell more in another post, way too much for a FFF, but suffice it to say that it was so much fun! In fact, there was so much that we missed and we will probably go back next year. A very interesting culture, indeed!
4. Cutting Board Find. This might not seem like a big deal to some but I'm seriously pleased with it. Hubby had bought me a good knife earlier in the summer (and can I say what a difference using a really good knife!!) but I had such horrible cutting boards (ones covered in laminate) that even though it was a high quality knife it would still lose it's edge. The guys at the knife store recommended a walnut cutting board, they said bamboo, which is really popular right now in cutting boards, was way too hard, and I couldn't afford the best which is an end grain butcher block type but their regular walnut cutting boards were crazy priced too. Well, what did I find at the Midieval Faire mentioned above, but a wood craftsman who was selling cutting boards amongst other items! And for a fraction of the price I got myself a really nice walnut cutting board similar to the pic below. It is fantastic. There is a really nice "bounce" to it. It's really hard to describe until one works on it.
5. A good wasp trap. Yes this makes my list. I Hate wasps with a capital H. And there is a myriad of them because of the hot, dry weather we are having. Last year we found really good ones and in the first week I put it up it is filled. So glad I bought a couple last year. And enough talk about those nasty pests.
What have been your favorite blessings and good things this week?