Welcome to Fave Fives everyone! I had a wonderful break with family and have so much to be thankful for!! Please join me as we look for our five favorite blessings from the week whether they be big or small. For details and guidelines just scroll to the link in the sidebar.
1. A new fireplace. After humming and hawwing for a few years we finally bit the bullet and bought a new air conditioner. We knew our original was old; it came with the house when we bought it 21 years ago. In fact, when the salesman who was a friend came to check out the logistics of moving the location, he took one look at it and said, "Wow, that's an old one." It was tediously slowing down on us, giving out less and less cold air even though we recharged it. And sure enough when they disconnected the old one there was a date of 1985 on the back. We now had wonderful cool air for those hot days of summer we were expecting. Again hot being relative because I'm sure Anne and Willow would scoff at us Southern Albertan's wilting in what they consider a cool down.
Now what does this all have to do with a fireplace you ask? Well the air conditioning company was having a special on where you received a wall electric fireplace for free with the purchase of the air conditioner. And our friend was incredibly generous in upgrading us to a really nice larger framed unit (rather than the smaller square shaped lcd looking one). I really love the "fire" in it and it's also a heater for those really cold nights. For now I haven't figured out how to decorate around it but that will come eventually. I may even lower it a bit but that will take some renovation as I'll have to remove the chair rail but that's down the road.
What a cozy feeling for the already cooler nights that we are experiencing! And did you catch the fact that it was free? I love free!
2. Time with the family all together. Last week we had the family all together, the first time since Christmas. Oh how I enjoyed it. We had decided in the spring to have a more low key holiday a bit closer to home. I wanted my oldest to be able to spend extra time with her grandparents, she wanted to go to our beloved Waterton National Park. So we skipped the 10 or so hour drive to Kelowna, B.C. and stayed closer. We were all together and that was the main thing.
top of Bear's Hump Waterton National Park
3. A family trip to Glacier National Park. Waterton National Park and Glacier National Park are the 2 sides to an International Peace Park, Waterton being the Canadian side and Glacier being the US side. I hadn't been there since I was a kid and had bits and pieces of memories. What a stunning drive we had! I took over 250 pictures. I just couldn't help myself. It was breathtaking. I can hardly wait to go back! Because of time constraints I've had this week I just haven't been able to upload and make a nice collage but I'll leave you with one and put up more during the week.
4. My most thrilling part of being in Glacier National Park...hiking the trail at the Logan's Pass visitor centre. It was cold and it was windy but boy oh boy was it worth it. A trail that ran the side of the mountain, sometimes so narrow that for someone to pass you had to push your back against the cliff. In fact, when on the side wall, they had a hose type hand hold for you to hang on to. Cliff wall on one side, cliff edge on the other, but the view. Oh the view! God is an amazing creator and artist. Pictures cannot do it justice! And the thrill of doing a hike like that was exhilarating!!
5. the hotel we stayed in. I booked from the Starbucks in Kalispell and we hit on a wonderful hotel. Nice and clean, they provided lots of extras. Firepit in the evenings, an incredible breakfast with made to order omelets amongst a whole host of other things hot and cold, and the best part they had bicycles to rent with the first 2 hours being free! We love biking as a family so that was really a treasure find for us and we took advantage of that.
What were your favorite blessings this week?