April showers bring May flowers or as in the Alberta version May showers bring June flowers. It is a wet, cool and cloudy couple of days here but the lawns and trees are happy for the moisture. It's Friday and that means we take a moment to recall and share 5 blessings from our past weeks. Guidelines are here if you are new. Otherwise, welcome to everyone reading and joining in this week. I'm always so glad to have you!
It's a short week here, at least for me, as Monday was Victoria Day in Canada. And that means a day off for me. That in itself was a blessing but I've got some others too.
1. Choosing my flowers for the year. This is a Mother's Day gift to me from hubby. He diligently saves his Canadian Tire bucks all year and then lets me go spend them on flowers. What a sweetie. I always enjoy this little shopping trip, though this year I got my heart broken having to put back a stunning coral colored peony bush. I have never in my life seen that color on a peony bush. I walked around with in my buggy for more than half an hour with many a lady stopping me and oohing and aahing over it and telling me it was well worth the price. But I didn't notice any of them loading one into their buggies. At fifty dollars apiece, ON SALE no less, it was just a bit too steep. Hubby was trying to be gracious about it but I could see he was having heart palpitations. My garden is after all producing on a survival of the fittest policy, and he was just a tad bit worried it would die after the summer.
2. Bedding out plants bedded out. I did it, I bit the bullet and got them out. It's always dicey here in Alberta. Tradition states to wait until the May long weekend, but the way the weather has been the last 10 years or that is not necessarily so reliable. The days may be nice but the nights could still risk dipping to the freezing mark or below. But I've been carefully watching the weather network on the internet and it called for nice nights all this week so I took a chance that it will remain for the rest of May and put all my flowers out on Monday. Ai, yi, yi. 5 hours of digging, rearranging perrenials, planting beds and containers on a beautiful day. It's done and looks great. And the rain showed up today to give them all a good watering.
3. Lots of reading time. Long weekends always afford me some extra time to do what I love best. And that involves a pot of coffee, staying in pj's a little longer in the morning and a good read.
4. Meals on the grill. With the nice weather comes the firing up of the grill. This week we've had burgers and chicken drumsticks cooked on the grill. Yummy.
5. Bringing out the spring weight bedding. Love my big quilt but it's nice to put on the lighter one because that means warm weather is coming!
What have been your favorite blessings from the last week? If you do a post, please feel free to link on up!