Monday, April 12, 2010

Monday Mish Mash

It was a pretty quiet weekend here at Living to Tell. Nothing really exciting happened which was just fine with me. It was just a kickback kind of weekend. No where to be, no running around, just being. Works for me.

Friday I got a delivery of chickens from a Hutterite colony. Their chickens are sooo good. And so big! Puts the ones in the grocery stores to shame. I ordered 6 of them and it came to just $51.00. Super cheap for the size that they are. Five I froze and one I made "Sticky Chicken" with. It is so easy and the chicken comes out delicious and super tender. I'll even give you the recipe.

The night before or early in the morning, in a small bowl mix together the following:

2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1/4 - 1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp black pepper

Rinse the chicken inside and out, drain and pat dry. Rub all over with spice mix. Place in plastic bag and refridgerate overnight or for at least 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 250*F. Yes, you read right. 250*F. Remove chicken from bag and fill cavity with 1 chopped onion and about 3 or 4 the inner leafy sticks of celery. Place on rack in roasting pan breast side down and roast for 5 hours. When there is 1 or 1 1/2 hours left flip chicken over so the breast side skin can get crisp. Remove from oven and let sit for about 10 minutes before carving.

So easy and so incredibly good. You can feel free to play with the spices and you get a bit different of a chicken every time. This time I used Blazin' Pepper Bourbon Seasoning, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder. It's fun to play and know I'll still end up with a really great chicken. I added garlic mashed potatoes, some mixed veggies and made homemade gravy. One chicken fed the four of us with lots left over for sandwiches or a pasta meal. The grocery store chickens don't feed us that well.

After some housecleaning the younger girl and I went to the Christian bookstore for a look around and a chai tea. It was fun doing something with her that was just the two of us. And you will all be so proud of me, other than the chai teas, I didn't buy one book. Not a one. I was tempted but I didn't do it. It's a miracle. LOL.

Sunday was a totally relax day. Church, then just heating up the already cooked chicken lunch. It gave me time to do lots of reading, play a few rounds of Scattegories with the kids and basically be a bum. LOL. A weekend like that does a girl good once in awhile. It was perfect timing as I'll be busier than ever this coming week with a new 1 yr. old starting in dayhome. I finished the book "Tallgrass" by Sandra Dallas. It was so good. I am loving this author who was new to me this year. For a review of the book you can visit my book blog here. Just scroll down to number 12. I can't believe I've already completed 12 books this year.

A decision was finally made concerning the job. After much talk, tears, prayer and deliberation,and more tears, it looks like for now the dayhome will still be going. I was really hoping for a change but the timing is just not on my side right now. Although it is not the result I was hoping for, I do feel like a heavy weight has been lifted and now I can move ahead and focus on what I want to do in the dayhome rather than everything being on hold and up in the air wondering if I was going to close it. I know God is in control and in the right time a change will come but until then I will be content and be thankful that I have a good job right now and will do my best to glorify the Lord in what is placed before at this time.

And on that note, I must get ready for the kid's to arrive. Have a great kick off day to your week!

9 comments:

ellen b. said...

Oh I'm so glad a decision was made so your mind can be eased over the back and forth of it...Praying the one year old fits in well.
That recipe and those chickens sound great.

nikkipolani said...

Glad to know the Lord has directed you and the turmoil of indecision is past. And thanks for that recipe!

Mom24 said...

This sounds wonderful, thanks.

I have complete empathy. I don't know your specifics, but I do home daycare. I would love not to, honestly, I would love to "just" be a SAHM, or even to homeschool my kids, but it's not our reality right now and I try to make peace with it. At least I work for wonderful people with wonderful kids.

Hope an opportunity that's right for you works out one day.

Barbara H. said...

That recipe does look good. I bookmarked it to try some time.

I agree about bum days. We need those every now and then.

I can empathize with the change not being what you wanted, but having the relief of having a decision made. It's hard to live in uncertainty. I'd appreciate your prayers for us as we face a similar possible (probable) decision of major change for our family. I can't say more about it yet.

Karyn said...

I'm happy the decision has been made!

The chicken recipie sounds good - I wrote it down so I can try it.

I've ordered "Tallgrass" because of your review on the other book by that author.

How do you find these books to read? You seem to come up with some 'not so mainstream' authors.

Faith said...

I am sooooo thankful you have been able to reach a decision with the Lord's help regarding your job! GOD IS FAITHFUL!!! i can now cross this off my prayer journal list :)

Thanks for the recipe.....I will be posting some pics of the trip sometime later this week.....today is focused on laundry and groceries!!

Karen said...

I'm glad for you that you've made a decision and that you are at peace with it. You'll know when it's a better time.

Your weekend sounds wonderful. I relish the weekends when we don't have a lot planned and it sounds like you did, too!

I wish we had some place around here to buy the bigger chickens. I guess I should investigate. We like roasted chickens, but you're right the grocery store variety are pretty skimpy.

Donnetta said...

When I was 16 I drove my grandparents from the Midwest, USA to Alaska. We stayed at a Hutterite colony in Canada on the way. What an incredible experience!

So glad to hear you have an answer regarding your job situation. I have been praying!

Michelle said...

It's so hard when decisions have to be made.I must try your sticky chicken recipe yum..