But before we can party with the 52nd week we have to get to the 49th. If you are new and aren't quite sure what's up, you can go here for details. We'll get started and it won't take you long to catch up.
I nervously laughed when I hit the publish button yesterday, because I was thinking exactly what a few of you said and that was my Thursday post could have been a Fave Five post. Oh, oh. Now what will I post on. LOL.
1. Yesterday's post reciting all the wonderful activities and time we had with my visiting daughter. I won't type it all out again, you can go here to read about some of the fun times we had this last week, which included a great movie, floating down the river and time spent at the lake with family.
2. Cooking for the visiting child. I know it was extra work but it was absolute pleasure to cook up some of her favorites that I know she's not eating. Barbque'd steak, whipped potatoes with creamed garlic spinach, lasagna, bbq'd cheeseburgers, chinese food. Okay I didn't cook the chinese food but we got takeout with her favorite "pineapple chicken". It's really funny, but our city seems to really have a knack for great chinese food. We've had it in lots of other cities while on holidays and it's never quite the same. And that goes the same for the city she's in now too. It's not the same, so we obliged and treated her. But anyway, I can't quite put my finger on why it brought me pleasure to make her her favorites. Maybe it's my way of loving on her, of feeling that I'm still taking care of her in some small way, the pleasure of knowing I've blessed her and made her happy.
3. Reading. I'm particularly enjoying the 2 books I've got on the go right now. And miracle of miracles, not one of them is fiction! Go figure. In fact, when we went to the lake, mentioned in the post yesterday, I almost had a panic attack at the thought that I had forgotten my book. I have never been to the lake without a book. I survived but I can tell you the first thing I did when we got back was to sit and read for a bit. I love when books grab me like that.
4. Frosty glasses of ice water with a squeeze of lemon and lime. So refreshing when you're eating a meal or on a hot day. And not a calorie to be found!
(I have no idea why my pic of the glass is rotating and on it's side when it uploads. Blogger's a little tipsy tonight I guess.)
5. Trying a new recipe. And having it work. I was totally bored all of sudden with cooking the same old, same old. Must have something to do with the movie I saw with the girls, "Julie & Julia". It inspired me to be a touch braver with my cooking. So I pulled a dusty cookbook off my shelf, "Creative Cooking", that I basically used for staring at the great pics and drooling over, but had never actually cooked out of, and chose a really different sounding chicken curry recipe. With barley of all things. And it was good. Really good. Family raving over it good. Now there is no way I am going to be attempting any year long marathon french cooking sessions such as Julie in the film, but it was fun to try something totally new and different. Maybe I can shoot for one new recipe a week. We'll see. But hubby says I should post the recipe, so that'll be coming next week.
What's your favorites from the week? Good old standby's? Something new? Share with us in a post and then sign Mr. Linky so that we can come visit!