Saturday, May 19, 2007

Where do you want to go for dinner?

Annie from My Life as Annie tagged me for this Eating Out Meme. I think she wants to see if we eat any weird things here up in Canada. While I personally don't go for fried beaver tails or Moose stew, I can't speak for the rest of us northerners. :vD

I do like to eat out though. So here are the rules.
1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Include the state/province and country you're in.
3. List your top 5 favorite places to eat locally where you are.
4. Tag 5 other people and let them know they've been tagged.


Doing this I realized we don't really eat out anywhere fancy schmancy very often. But that's okay. I like don't like paying the fancy schmancy prices either. So I never listed any of the fast food stuff because after all, this is a meme about favorite places to eat. No necessarily where you are forced to eat due to budgets. :vD In no particular order here we go for Alberta, Canada (sorry but I can't name the particular city due to a promise):

1. Ricky's. I love this restaurant. The food is wonderful and they make the best liver and onions in town. Okay, I realize that might be weird to some of you, this paying good money for liver, but that is more a Hungarian thing than a Canadian thing. You can blame my dad for cultivating this taste in me. :vD They also make this yummy Caribbean spiced, coconut encrusted pork chops that I couldn't find on their website so maybe it's just a local feature, but it is amazing.

2. Ric's Grill. We've only eaten here a couple times because it's more on the expensive end. Hard to take a family of five although their lunch menus are pretty reasonable for the type of restaurant it is. This restaurant is totally unique. It is in the top of the city's old water tower. So you have a panoramic view way above the city. So the resteraunt is not one big room but goes around the edge of the water tower. Every table has a view. Beautiful.

3. Smitty's. Once in a blue moon we treat ourselves to a breakfast out and this is where we go. They're breakfast menu is mouth watering.

4. New Dynasty. This is our restaurant of choice if we want to go out for chinese food. They do a wonderful Sunday brunch of yummy chinese food but my favorite is their classic dinners rather than the everyday dinner combos. It's weird but my city seems to have the best chinese food anywhere we've ever tried to eat chinese food. Nothing seems to compare or even come close to the type and flavor and quality of the chinese food we get here. Now I'm talking about the usual westernized kind of chinese food. I'm not talking about the "real" chinese food that you get in china town that includes stuff like the chicken feet and stuff like that.

5. botaniCa. These guys make the best Ceasar salad, bar none. And the best Monte Cristo sandwiches I've ever eaten anywhere. It's beautifully decorated in a garden theme with huge windows that let in the sun and make you feel like you're having lunch at a garden party.

Now to tag 5 people. I'm going to try to go around the world here. Now Sarah's already done this but if you want to read her's she lives in the UK. So I'll tag Jen from New Zealand, Melissa from Vienna, Austria, Kathy from PEI ('cause she's on the other end of the country from me), Tammy from the U.S. (because she commented at Sarah's that this was a fun tag and well that's just begging to be tagged in my books! :vD), and Jane who lives in Spain.

21 comments:

Donnetta said...

I will go to any of these resteraunts and eat any of these items with you... EXCEPT... the liver and onions. I'm going to have to pass on that.

My mom used to make that when we were growing up. Even the smell turns my stomach!! Each to his own... ;-)

Susanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barb said...

Boy, I'd send you a gold star if you could talk them into giving you that coconut encrusted pork chop recipe, Susanne. Wow. That just SOUNDS delicious.

I got tagged for this one, too, sometime ago. I have a running list of the tags I need to do. I'm getting ready to do the mother of all meme posts. Gonna stick 'em all in one endless post and call it good. LOL

Susanne said...

momrn2: I know what you mean about the smell. My mom's liver never had that smell. She was a real pro at buying and cooking it.

melissa said...

hey susanne,

thanks for the tag - that was fun to do. mine is up on my blog for your enjoyed reading.

I know what you mean about being behind in blog-reading. This month is insanely busy for us, but it's good stuff. And it's God's grace to help us through each day.

Thanks!
Melissa

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

We have none of these restaurants!

Laura said...

LOL, I had a good chuckle over the fried beaver tails and moose stew! Moose stew I've had (ugg) but never fried beaver tails :)

I've been tagged for this one too but it seems the only restaurant I eat at is McDonalds....sigh.

Laura

Anonymous said...

cool Suzanne
i dont eat out much either but ill give it a go :)
shall let u know when ive done it

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

These all sound so good, especially the Chinese food, the breakfast and that monte cristo! Well, I take that back, I don't do liver for any reason :)

Have a great day!

Dianne said...

Yum-O and now I"m hungry. I love liver and onions!

Eden said...

You are making me hungry, Susanne! I enjoyed your meme! I've never heard of any of the places you mention so it was neat!!!

Eden

Girl Raised in the South said...

I didnt do the tag, but when we head out to eat, Don asks - what are you hungry for. Usually I say either, a baked potato, or quiet. Then let him pick. He generally picks somewhere that serves steak. Seems I most want to go out to eat after a hectic day, so quiet is usually the best thing on the menu.

Kate said...

wow, i've never heard of any of them (guess we don't have them here in the US or South) but they all sound so yummy! especially breakfast! i'll know who to ask if we travel there one day! ;)

Islandsparrow said...

I like liver and onions - especially with a little bacon on the side!

My meme is up Suzanne - done with a little twist - pop over and you'll see what I mean :)

Beck said...

The cocounut pork chops would kill me dead, thanks to my coconut allergy. You eat my share.
I've eaten more than my share of moose stew, I think! Fun post!

Shalee said...

Where is the Spaghetti Factory on this list?!

And thanks for making me really hungry way before my lunch break!

Linda said...

With the exception of the liver and onions (and my husband is 100% Hungarian) it all sounds so delicious. What a great idea to tag people for so many different places. I'm looking forward to reading the other blogs.
A good Chinese restaurant is hard to find. That sounds like a great one. I love eating breakfast out - feels like such a luxury.
Have a blessed day Susanne.

Tammy said...

Coming back here to comment...as you know, it wouldn't let me earlier!

I haven't heard of any of these places either...but they do sound good!

Thanks again for the honor of the designated U.S. dinner person. Even though we are penny-pinching these days and rarely go out, I think I can come up with my favs...I'll do this soon, promise! :)

Annie said...

They all sound wonderful... my daughter Amanda is going to spend a couple of weeks in Montreal in a couple of weeks. I'll be here, in Oklahoma. (I don't feel sorry for myself, not much anyway :o)

Annie

Nicole said...

The breakfast menu at Smitty’s is very mouth watering!!! So hungry now…and mmmm pork chop at ricky’s sound so good!! I’m drooling just thinking of it!

Ps thanks for doing the tag. I hope you enjoyed it.. If you know of anyone else doing it please feel free to send me a message and I’ll update them too on the updated list of tag doers

Anonymous said...

botanica.. suits what they are best for eh. Yes, a great bowl of ceasar salad is nto a bad idea to wash down those meaty stuff. :)

THanks for sharing your list :)