Monday, December 11, 2006

Susie, HomeBaker, I am not

I don't know if I've ever mentioned it or not but baking & I don't necessarily get along. Give me meat, veggies, a chef's knife; I'm in heaven. But exact measurements, shortening, baking powder, and I'm, well, shall we say challenged. I don't know what it is. But the sight of a rolling pin makes me turn and run screaming from the room. I start to sweat and break out in hives from the thought of having to make sugar cookies or pie crusts or anything that needs to be rolled out.

So needless to say I was less than thrilled when my ladies group decided that the thing we would do for our December fun night was to have a Christmas cookie exchange. Drat! The thought of bringing home 8 dozen other cookies was no problem. My kids and hubby would be thrilled. Let's just say they don't get a lot of homemade cookies and baking. I'd bring that home any day. But it was the thought of baking something other than your standard chocolate chip or brownie that was giving me nightmares. And to top that off, 8 dozen of 'em. And have them taste good. Where on earth is Paula Dean when you need her anyway?

Then I came across this little recipe. And being Hungarian how could I resist it? Lemon and poppyseeds? Heaven. And you don't have to roll them out or have them make a certain shape? Ok, sold. I tried a batch out on my unsuspecting little family unit. With bated breath I waited for the verdict. They loved them!! Raved about them, even! They were so thrilled with them, that guess what, not only do the ladies group get them tonight in lovely little Christmas bags, but I present the recipe to you especially any of you my friends, who like me, are a little baking challenged.
Barb & Beck, well, you're welcome to take it too, if you don't feel it's too easy for the likes of your baking prowess. And I mean that in the most standing in awe of your talents kind of way!




Lemon PoppySeed Cookies

2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick or square) butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
2 tsp. grated lemon peel
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. poppy seeds

glaze: 1 cup icing sugar
2 Tbsp. lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat granulated sugar and butter in large bowl at medium speed until creamy. Beat in egg and lemon peel. Combine flour, baking soda and salt, gradually add to butter mixture. Stir in poppy seeds at low speed.

Drop dough by teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheets. (I used the Pampered Chef small size cookie scooper thingy). Bake 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned. (Start with the smallest amount of time and keep an eye on them for the first batch and then you're okay for the rest with the time. The original recipe said 11 minutes but mine were done in 8). Let stand 1 minute and then transfer to wire racks.

Mix glaze and drizzle over cookies. Let sit until glaze fully sets.

Makes about 3 dozen.
*UPDATE* I'm so excited! Someone actually asked me a semi-technical question about baking! And what's better, I know how to answer. :vD Chris asked me if I used fresh lemon peel or the dried store bought kind. The original recipe did not specify. I used fresh because fresh always tastes better and then I used to juice of the fresh lemon in the glaze.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those sound good. I also love lemon and poppyseed. Did you use freshly grated lemon peel or the dried lemon peel that is sold as a spice?

Anonymous said...

these sounds de-lish!

Blessings,
KArla

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Do we have so much in common. I am ALLERGIC to a rolling pin. I don't measure, well hardly ever. It is so nice to know that I am not alone in the baking department. I can make fudge and a couple other things but pie crust...I, like you could break out in hives!

These do sound yummy!

Thanks for the prayers for my Dad. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Yummmm.These sounds good!

Tammy said...

I've never ventured into the lemon\poppy seed world...but this does look pretty easy!
Thanks for the recipes!
I'm not a super-baker at all...yet, I'd rather try and bake something new than to cook something new (so I guess sort of the opposite!)

Oh, and thanks for stopping by...so glad you remembered Evie! :D

Laura said...

Oh I so can't bake either so you've convinced me to try these...wish me luck because I need it...lol.
Thanks for the recipe. Laura

Beck said...

Aw! Thanks, Susanne! You're not showing up on my bloglines for some reason, so I'm so glad I just happened to check!

Lala's world said...

ok I am so the same...anything that has to be rolled... not if I can help it! I don't mind baking ONCE IN A WHILE!! but I prefer cooking...and NO measuring!!glad your cookies turned out good! they sound yummy!

Carol said...

Okay. These sound really good. Too good. I may have to break my no-sugar rule and try them out.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the others - these look delicious. Just my kind of cookie. I have a list of what - 8 - kinds of cookies I plan to bake this year. Yeah right. I like to bake but am not opposed to easy!

Anonymous said...

Oh, THANK YOU for posting the recipe! I was looking for a new recipe for my holiday baking and this sounds perfect. I love lemons and this is right up my proverbial kitchen alley!!! Can't wait to try them!

Susie said...

I am very impressed with your talented baking skills. These cookies look yummy and I will definitely give them a try.

Eden said...

Susanne, these sound delicious. I'll have to make them.
I love baking and cooking. Thank you for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

I love lemon cookies...love them..thanks for the recipe....love them.

Barb said...

Look at that great photo, Susanne. I love that little snowman and the cookies look yummy. You'd be surprised how much I love a simple cookie recipe. "Difficult" or "complicated" doesn't make them taste one bit better. Thank you for posting this.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for answering my question!!

I am going to try these. I will let you know how they turn out.

Linda said...

Wow!! They look great. And my husband is Hungarian. As soon as I am moved into new digs I'm going to try them. Lemon and poppyseed - how could you go wrong? Great job!! I have a feeling you've broken through the baking "barrier" and will whipping up all sorts of wonderful goodies.
Have a blessed week!!

Anonymous said...

This post made me laugh!! :) The recipe sounds yummy.

Anonymous said...

Great looking cookies. I'll have to give the recipe a try. Hopefully I can find poppy seeds here! I'm Eden's mom. She told me to check out your blog site. Really enjoyed the visit.
Blessings,
Kathie in Costa Rica

Anonymous said...

Those look yummy, and sound great too!

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

For not baking much, those cookies sure look fancy:) They look like you got them right out of a bakery. Way to go!!!!:)

I'll have to try them out soon.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your cookies!! I can totally relate to the baking thing, so any success for me is a major achievement and it feels great! Yours look delicious!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh yummy, yes I love lemon too. I love things with lemon icing :)

Shalee said...

Oh, I know what my son the poppy seed lover is going to get for one of his Christmas gifts!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like something my husband would love!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

You are a pro! I guessed you were Hungarian when you wrote about sausage in your childhood Christmas memory. I'm still wondering why your fam. moved to Canada. And the cookies sound wonderful! I am a baker, not a "cooker." I run from the stove top. Rachael (Rachel?) Ray makes me crazy, but my girls like her.

Anonymous said...

Wow for someone who can't bake very well you sure can't tell that by this picture. These cookies are absolutely beautiful and I'm sure tasted as good as everyone said. I will have to try this one out.

Jennifer said...

These look delicious! Sounds like something I could do even with a little one running around my legs. :-)

Kelly said...

These look amazing! Can't wait to try them.

Anonymous said...

looks yummy and nice