That's just awful isn't it. I've put a link on my blog. I was thinking of getting one but I daren't risk it now knowing my forgetfulness I'd leave it lying around somewhere.
Thanks for the link to the story. I hope the little boy's face heals soon. I have used one of these but had no idea it had a base chemical in it. I actually thought it was dry!
Thanks Susanne for sharing this. I would have never imagined. I didn't realize it had chemicals in it either.Jenny
OH MY GOSH Susanne,THANK YOU for posting this. My sister-in-law up in Tennessee uses these in her cleaning business, and she has small children.I thought these were safe! This is just unbelievable!
Wow! I just used one of these the other day. It had been sitting in my cabinet for months. Now if I use it again, I'll definitely keep it away from the kids!
Both myself and my husband are chemists, and I read the account. While I don't discount that the child was hurt, both of us are reasonably convinced that the product caused harm because it is highly abraisive, like rubbing sandpaper on your face. We plan to test the alkalinity of the pad, but I have to say that I seriously doubt that it contains "alkaline" chemicals. Please remember that even water is a chemical and please don't overreact. It is good to take things from the internet with a grain of salt.
Confused: I'd be very interested in hearing what you might find.
And just as a side note whether the cleaning pad did contain alkaline or the burns were a result of abrasion, I think the main thing to remember is keep all cleaning products away from young children!
Okay, I don't have to do my test because last night I found the MSDS (material safety data sheet) on this product. They (the actual polymer that is the product) are listed as a possible skin irritant and it says it has a pH of 8-10. 7 is neutral, so the material itself is slighly alkaline (which I have to say surprised me). But the same range is the range of pH for SOAP. So I'm still unconvinced that this was a "chemical burn." If an ER doc diagnosed it as such, I'd have to say that they aren't trained in chemical burns probably at all, so I would forgive them for misdiagnosis. Here's the caution statement from the box of the product "Keep out of reach of children. Keep out of reach of toddlers and pets to avoid accidental ingestion. Do not use on skin or other parts of the body. Using on skin will likely cause abrasions."Sorry I don't have the links for the MSDS. I have someplace to go and am already late, but this has been bothering me so I had to post an update! Have a gread day everyone!
I got an email with that link as well!
Oh, that is just AWFUL. Thank you for letting me know about it. I would not have thought too much about it either. So many accidents happen because we just dont' imagine the dangers. I am glad her son is okay.
Post a Comment