Thursday, November 09, 2006

Slow Cooker Thursday ~ Italian Chicken


Sandra at Diary of a Stay At Home Mom hosts Slow Cooking Thursday. If you'd like to add a recipe or check some out go on over where she has a Mr. Linky set up. There's always something easy and delish cooking over there.

My hubby went and bought me a brand new slow cooker, a nice new digital oval one that can handle our family size and company too, if I want. It actually will stop cooking and just warm when the programmed cooking time runs out. Love it! I'll post the very first recipe I made it in last Sunday.

ITALIAN CHICKEN

-1 1/4 kg. (3 lbs) of chicken pieces, any combo of thighs, drums, wings, or whole chickens cut up
-1 medium onion, diced
-1 small zuchinni, diced
-1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
-2 tsp. salt
-1/2 tsp pepper
-1 tsp. Italian Seasoning Blend
-1/2 - 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, like Kraft
-cooked pasta or noodles

De-skin the chicken pieces and trim off excess fat. Put chicken, onion, tomatoes, salt, pepper, and Italian Seasoning in crockpot and stir to combine. Cook on high for 4 hours. Start cooking you noodles or pasta and while this is cooking, add the Parmesan to the chicken. Start with the smaller amount. You want to add just enough Parmesan to just thicken the sauce slightly.

Serve with your pasta and a nice green salad.

Serves about 6-8 people.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I have a "saucy italian" chicken one that I've done in my crockpot, and this sounds similar. It was very tasty and easy. I love using my crockpot - congrats on your fancy new one!

Have a great day :)

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Sounds yummmy. And, bubble wrap? Oh My! I like to put it on the floor and sit in one of those rolling office chairs and roll over it. :>)

Anonymous said...

Susanne that sounds like my crockpot, it has a Warm button on it and it switches to it when it's done cooking, I just love it :)

Here's the best part though, I got it at a yard sale for $3 and it comes with the warming cover thingymabob LOL

I LOVE chicken and this sounds divine...can NOT wait to try it :)

I'm so glad to be back posting and able to comment, I've missed your blog :)

Hugs,
Sandra

GiBee said...

Oh, my -- this sounds so yummy!

Unknown said...

This sounds great!! My husband loves anyting Italian!

Susanne said...

Melanie: LOL! I just do mine the old fashioned way with my fingers but your way sounds much more fun!

Eden said...

Yummy, yummy, yummy! I'll definitely have to try your recipe Susanne. We've been married 3 years now, and I just recently opened up my crockpot (wedding gift). We've moved every year since being married, so...I try not to unpack to much. We've actually been here in OH more than a year as of October, but I will be saying goodbye to OH in April and hello to CA! I love my crockpot though! I made a roast the other day, from scratch out of my head, so... no recipe b/c I don't even remember what I put in it. lol But my hubby loved it.

Overwhelmed! said...

Oh, this recipe sounds delicious!

Your slow cooker sounds like mine. I think mine is a 6 quart. I love it!

Thanks for your comment on my Slow Cooking Thursday corn chowder recipe post. I do appreciate it!

Susie said...

Sounds like a great recipe. I love making chicken new ways. Loved reading your Thursday 13 too!

Pamela said...

Oh, that is so sweet of your hubby. I didn't even realize they made digital slow cookers!

Italian Chicken with Zucchini sounds delicious! Enjoy the rest of your evening! :)

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Good grief - how do you keep up on all these linkies? This looks awesome. I really need to get my crock pot out of the attic. The spontaneous cook that I am - I need to find my sponteneity in the morning and just throw that cold, ugly chicken in there before I have time to change my mind....

Anonymous said...

this sounds delicious, I have just cut and pasted it into my recipe folder, I hope you don't mind! And who knew so many people loved the bubble wrap thing!!! :)

Barb said...

This sounds soooo good, Susanne. I'd never have thought of making chicken this way but we love Italian anything so this a "must try" recipe for me.

Gina Conroy said...

Sounds yummy! I love anything Italian, especially when it's easy!