Friday, November 24, 2006
Dianne's Book Poll
I saw this book poll over at Katrina's who saw it over at Dianne's who was just curious about our book habits. So she decided to ask a few questions. You know the enquiring minds want to know type of thing. So without further ado here is Dianne's book poll.
1. Where do you most often buy your books? Online? Second-hand stores? Big name bookstores? I usually order my books through Crossings Book Club, but I also buy from my local Christian bookstore, my local Chapters, and I have used online once or twice.
2. If you buy online, which do you prefer - B&N or Amazon.com?Ebay? Christianbook.com? or elsewhere? Other than Crossings, I've only bought a couple times online that being Ebay and Amazon. I've just heard of Christianbook.com and have yet to check them out.
3. Do you put your name in your books? If so are you a bookplate or stamp person? I used to just write my name in with the date of purchase. I thought it was cool to know when in my life I had purchased a certain book. Now I use those really nice address stickers that seem to proliferate in my mail box. I only do this after I know a book will be a keeper though.
4. How do you feel about loaning books to others? I have very mixed feelings about this because I have had favorite books never returned or gone missing. Books are like gold to me. So sometimes I struggle.
5. Do you highlight or mark your books as you read? Non-fiction definitely if it's a keeper book. I remember things better this way. Fiction, no. If there is a great quote in a fiction book I write it into my quotes journal citing the author, book and page number that it came from.
6. How often do you visit your local library? Minimum once a month, usually every 3 weeks. Except if I've got a lot unread purchased books that I need to get through. But most of my reading does come from library books.
7. Do you collect any certain kind of book? Not really. Sometimes I'll collect a series like "The O'Malley Series" by Dee Henderson if it was something I really enjoyed and know I'll read again. I have started collecting books written about or by the Apollo astronaughts because that whole thing just fascinates me.
8. What do you do when you're done with a book and you no longer want it? If it's a Christian book I donate it to the church's lending library. Otherwise I give it to a Goodwill type of bookstore or to someone who I know wants it. Haven't had the guts to try selling online. I'll have to ask Katrina how to do that!
9. Do you keep a list or catalog of the books you own? No except if I'm loaning it then I will mark that down with who's got it and the date.
10. Any other book habits you'd like to share? Book habits? Other than not being able to pass up a sale? Or having books laying everywhere but on my nightstand? Or being able to read and watch Survivor or Amazing Race at the same time? Nah. Can't think of anything.
Does anyone one else want to satisfy our enquiring minds? Let me know in the comments so I can make sure I get over to your place and read it and not miss it.
Posted at 8:28 AM