It was a cold, dreary and wet first day to autumn this week. Just perfect to cosy up with a hot cup of tea and find some good things to think about. Join us in reflecting on the blessings from the past week and sharing 5 of them.
1. Challenge completed. My mom, who was a wonderful cook of Hungarian foods, used to make Silvas Gomboc (Plum Balls) for us every year when it was plum season. It was a favorite meal of mine and still is. Every year of my married life she has gifted us with a pan of these heavenly balls of goodness. Except the last half dozen or so. She just is unable to stand for that length of time that it takes to make these. Like any great European dish it takes time to make these. So they have always been intimidating to me. The time it takes and that her recipe is from an old Hungarian recipe book where everything is measure in decagrams and other measurements we just don't used here made her translating quite the process and it seemed so difficult. Those two things and the fact that I just don't cook anything that requires the use of a rolling pin pretty much hooped me. But thanks to the wonderful thing called the internet, I found a recipe which made it sound fairly doable. So with a few tweeks to make it more like hers...voila! My first ever attempt at one of my favorite dishes ever. With a bit more practice using that bane of my existence, the rolling pin, hopefully it will get just as good as hers. I think I'll post the recipe sometime next week.
Sorry, couldn't help myself...took a bite before it occurred to me to take a pic for the ol' blog.
2. Family Reunion. Last weekend Hubby's side of the family held a reunion. We hadn't had one for about 9 years. It was really nice to see everyone and catch up and meet some new relatives too. There were about 45 of us there and yet some were missing. There was much catching up, lots of laughter, and lots and lots of eating. Unfortunately, none of my pictures are great as the anit-shake somehow got turned off on my camera. Bummer, but the memories are great.
3. All kids home. Along with the reunion, my two oldest were also in their respective friends wedding parties last weekend so the family was all home. We didn't get to spend too much time together, snatches of a few minutes here and there, but just the fact that we were all home did this mama's heart good.
4. Taking out the fall decorations. I love the fall colors so am always happy to put out the fall decor. I'm keeping it super simple this year but the bits of oranges, rusts, yellows, reds and browns just make me happy.
5. Getting cosy with throws. It has been cool enough over the last couple days that it required getting out the thicker, fluffier throws. I love using them relaxing with a good book or watching tv.
What were your favorite blessings this last week?