Friday, November 12, 2010

Friday's Fave Five #114

Hello everyone! It's Friday already. Holy, where did that week go? It has gone by so fast. Fast or not, Friday means it's time to take a look over our week and recall blessings great and small and pick our five favorites to share. Details are here if you are new.

Well, this has just been one of those weeks that not a whole lot was going on outside of the norm but there were some difficult things thrown into the mix. So I'm really glad for this exercise that makes me more aware to look for blessings in the more mundane weeks and through the rough moments of life. So here I go:

1. Big kisses from a sweet one year old. One of my dayhome kids, when she is going home, puts her lips into the biggest, cutest pucker you ever did see and leans right in to give me a kiss. Makes my day.

2. Making it home. That would be making it home from the downtown core after hearing an awful thunking in the van. I was so glad, after experiencing the thunking and the chugging that the van made it home with no issue. I did not fancy being caught downtown by myself at nighttime with a broken down vehicle.

3. Friendliness in my car club person who answered my call and from the tow truck driver who came to take my van out of my driveway and take it to the transmission repair garage. When something bad happens it's so much easier emotionally when you have friendly, smiling folks who act with some empathy towards you.

4. Still bbq'ing in November without having to wear a parka while I'm doing it. We bbq'd burgers for company on Sunday. It was a beautiful day. A bit cloudy, a little cool but I was out there cooking with no jacket at all. I can't remember the last time, if ever, being out there bbq'ing in November let alone without having to wear a coat.

5. Friends who are encouraging. Nothing beats a friend who encourages and uplifts with their words and actions. The journey in life is so much easier when there is someone in your life who just naturally is an encourager and cheers you on. I hope I am that for someone too.

What have your favorite things been this week? Have you had a rougher week like me? I encourage you to look back and find those smaller things that might be hiding but really are blessings when you search for them. If you do a post, sign on to Mr. Linky to the specific post please, not your home page, so that we can come and visit. Have a great weekend everyone.

22 comments:

Jientje said...

The big kisses made me smile, I can imagine why you made it your number one! I'm glad you made it home safe and that you have some friendly people helping you out. The weather in Belgium has not been as good as yours, we've had a lot of wind and rain this week. I hope you'll have a wonderful weekend, Susanne!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I love those big kisses from little kissers! So sweet. Encouraging friends are the best!

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Glad your car woes are getting straightened out -- and with a smile. Those car clubs are worth the money for us!

We often grill in November here...but I do miss the seasons.

You're an encourager for us, Susanne. Hope there's a smooth week ahead.

Islandsparrow said...

I'm sorry to hear about the van Susanne - bummer! But I'm glad you made it home that night.

It was warm enough to grill here - but you'd be standing out in a deluge of rain! There was NO break in the downpour til yesterday. But we had sun for Remembrance Day and we have sun again today - it's like a little miracle!

Baby kisses and encouraging friends - a sweet blessing. And you're a blessing too! Thanks so much for faithfully looking for the gold in your week even when things are hard. Praying for a relaxing, enjoyable weekend for you!

Faith said...

Love those toddler hugs and kisses...so sweet for sure....and praise GOd for your safety and friendly service people...sure makes a huge difference. I, too, desire to be an encourager to my friends who lift me up...great list Susanne..mine's up and i am now off to the classroom...hoping the commute is easy this a.m.! TGIF!!

Hazel said...

Glad you made it home safely. What a blessing to have a friend like you described. And it will make my day too if I had one of those big kisses from a sweet one-year old.

Gattina said...

Wow ! barbecuing in November ! I wished I could do that too ! Here in Belgium it rains cats and dogs and it's cold and stormy !

Kari said...

What wonderful five you have this week - except for your van thunking!
And even through that you found something wonderful.
Thanks for reminding me that people are good, the human spirit is wonderful.

SONDRA PRICE said...

What a great lists this week. I LOVE big kisses too!

Jerralea said...

Always love those big kisses! I'm so glad you've got friends who are encouragers! It's so important to lift up people whenever we get a chance.

Been there and done that with the car worries. I'm so glad you made it home!

Sarah said...

Sound like we similar weeks! Cars breaking down are never fun, but good friends and good customer service always make it easier. Hope you have a great weekend!

Barbara H. said...

Sorry about the car problems! But I am glad you weren't stranded and you made it home safely and then had friendly helpful people to take care of things.

One of my friends is a master encourager. I'm not near as good at it as she is, but I am glad to have her example to convict me and show me what true encouragement looks like.

Anonymous said...

So agree about the how needful it is for the soul to have friendly-smiling people around when things are rough.So hope this coming week is a better one emotionally. :)

ellen b said...

Some great faves this week Susanne. I'm glad you made it safely home and then got a kind person to deal with. Sweet kisses and barbecue in November...wonderful. Encouragement really is important in living life and I'm glad you have friends that offer it...

Giselle said...

I love getting big kisses from a special 5 year old!!! I know how that can make your day!!!

Carrie said...

Glad you made it home safe in the van! I hate being out alone at any time of day with car troubles!

And BBQ-ing in November? I'm impressed! (And jealous, yes.)

Lisa notes... said...

I so hate funny noises in the car. Glad you were able to get your van taken care of without it breaking down out on the road. Bbq’ing in November sounds fun to me. What a blessing to have an encouraging friend. I am sure you are that to many people! Praying you have an easier weekend than your week was.

Sandra said...

Love the big kisses, so sweet :)

Karen said...

I'm grateful for this exercise today. I've had a yucky week overall, but there's always the silver linings:)

Love your #3 -- I had a similar situation with my car a couple weeks ago, and when it was over I was so grateful for the very nice service people who helped me and were genuinely concerned. I need to remember to be that for others when they're in a tough situation.

We've had such a mild November, too, up til this week. I hadn't thought to bbq, but it would have been a good idea.

Love those one-year-old kisses:) So sweet.

Willow said...

Aww, big sloppy toddler kisses are so sweet! How scary to wonder if you were going to make it home in your van. Glad you did and yes, I agree that pleasant workers help tremendously to make a difficult situation so much better.

Brenda said...

I love BBQing even when the weather gets cooler, we've done that a lot in the past.

Glad you had a friendly rescuer :)

Finding Pam said...

May next week be full of joys. I like how you managed to see the good in car trouble.

Lovely list.