Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Book Review ~ The Last Sin Eater




This was a reread for me. I read it quite a few years ago and then saw the movie last year. I wanted to reread it to see just how closely the movie followed the book. And I'm glad that I did.

A story woven through 1800 Appalachian mountain life, it tells of young Cadi, who life is totally consumed with guilt over a tragedy that has befallen her family. The only way she can see out of it is to find the community Sin Eater whom the communty believes eats the sins of the recently departed so that they can go into the afterlife burden free. This is the story of not only Cadi's redemption but that of misconstrued beliefs and trying to cover our own sins. It is a story of heart's crying out for truth, of faith and courage in the face of what should be feared, a story of redemption and forgiveness.

The story grips your emotions as a reader from the beginning and it doesn't let go until the end when all is revealed. It was hard to put this book down even though I'd read it before and saw the movie, so I knew the outcome.
I found it very interesting how Francine Rivers dealt with the parents of young Cadi, and how they each in their own way, were trying to deal with their own grief, while not realizing what they were doing to their own child. It was interesting how one family could have such a grip on a whole communty and how the obediance of one believer can bring truth to deeply rooted beliefs of a whole people. There are very many layers to this story and as I finished the book I could not pick up another for some time until I just sat and thought through all that had occured in the lives of the characters.

11 comments:

Lisa Spence said...

I haven't seen the movie, but "The Last Sin Eater" is one of my favorites by Francine Rivers! I may have to head out to the library and check it out to read for not-the-second-time!

Kelly said...

This is going on my reading list--thanks for the review!

Barb said...

I love Francine Rivers and this is one of her best books. I haven't seen the movie yet - I really need to get it on my Netflix lineup. I hope the movie stays true to the story line because this was one really good book.

Anonymous said...

I did the same: I read the book years ago and saw the movie this past year, and I have been wanting to read the book again. Thanks for the reminder!

gail@more than a song said...

We got the movie on Netflix and loved it....probably should have read the book first but I'm still thinking it'd be a good one to read. It's been 4+ months since I've seen the movie!

GiBee said...

Hmmmm ... It was hard for me to get into the book, but when I finally did, I enjoyed it, however... it was not one of my favored Rivers books by far!! Great review!!!

Islandsparrow said...

I'm going to read this one too. I noticed the movie at Blockbuster's.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Sounds that like is the sign of a great story, when you have to process it for a while.

Hen Jen said...

good review, I was wondering about this book because I saw the movie advertised for our local christian store... sounds like a really good read.

Julie said...

I love that book and anything by Francine Rivers.

My very favorite books by her is:
"Redeeming Love".... I could read it every year.

I am new to blog world and am enjoying meeting new people. I found you from Linda's blog.

Have a blessed day,
Julie

Julie said...

Suzanne,
Yes, I have read them. Aren't they awesome???

I love her writings.

Have you read any of Bodie Thoene? She writes Historical Christian Fiction. They are awesome novels too. I love her writing.

Thanks for visiting.
Julie