Friday, December 15, 2017

Friday's Fave Five #460



Hi everyone.  Welcome to Friday's Fave Five.  Our little gathering place where we pause in our busy week and take time to notice the blessings in our lives from the past week.  First off, I would like to thank all those who sent get well wishes in last week's post.  I had  a verified flu and it was brutal.  I cannot remember when I have slept for practically 3 days and nights straight.  Yikes.  But it's a new week and moving on from being sick!

5 Blessings I took note of in the last week:

~turkey noodle soup~  why is it when we are sick a bowl of chicken or turkey noodle soup goes down so good.  Though I ate next to nothing due to lack of appetite a nice hot bowl of turkey noodle tasted so good.

~sick days with only 1 refund~ I had 2 personal days left for the year and for the third I only had to refund one parent because she had to pay someone else to watch her little one.  This was a huge blessing as refunding 3 families for numerous days would not have been a good thing for me right now, as I'm sure most families can relate to at Christmas time.  It was a relief not to be worrying about this when one is sick.

~a little Christmas downsizing~  because of not feeling well, the Christmas decorating really took a back seat this year.  I barely got my tree up before I was down for the count.  (And even the tree took a downsize.  We had a huge tree and this year Hubby said he'd just had enough of what he called the "monster tree".  We went and got a smaller one and it was so much easier to decorate.)  As I've gotten feeling better, I've slowly bought a few other decorating things out here and there.  This allowed me to take stock of what I've got and really get tough with the amount of stuff I keep.  I culled out some tree stuff and some decor stuff I decided I no longer want and it feels so good to make that decision to rid myself of the overflow of  Christmas items.  I don't know why I figure I have to keep every little thing.  Not feeling well helped me to get on with the deciding of what it was that I really liked and what was just ok and needed to find another home.


So much nicer not taking up the whole window



nice and simple, love it!

~pared down Christmas shopping~ this year we had already decided to pare down quite a bit in the number of gifts we give to the "kids".   Usually we used to give a book, a clothing, and a fun item.  But they are all adults now and there really is no need for that kind of expense and extravagance anymore.  We decided one gift each this year and a small stocking stuffer.  This turned out to be a huge blessing in disguise because now I was about a week and a half behind in everything from being sick.  But because we aren't buying as many gifts there is less shopping to do, so I really only have a couple more things to get.

~good weather~ here in southern Alberta we have had unusually warm weather this December, though they say that will change soon.  But I am grateful for this time of warmth because it makes all the running around easier.  No snow and ice to shovel, brush off cars and scrape from windows before going out shopping.  And hopefully good travelling weather for my family that is arriving next week.

What have been the blessings that you have noticed in your week?





8 comments:

Barbara H. said...

So glad you're feeling better! It's never a good time to be sick, but it's especially rough this time of year. That's great about only having to refund one family.

What a lovely tree and fireplace decorations!

And how wonderful to have warmer weather to get about in. I was out running errands one day in bitter cold and was miserable for a long time afterward - I know I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold, but I'd never make it in Canadian winters.

Karen said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better, and that your business didn't get a hard hit.

It feels good to pare down this year, we are doing the same. The shopping has been more fun, I like my tree with fewer decorations, and I might not even bake this year. We'll see:)

Willow said...

It's no fun being sick--I'm glad you are feeling better this week! And the minimal financial impact is good, too.

I like your change in gift giving. Now that the kids are adults, we do a name exchange and each buy only one nice gift for one person. Of course, the grandkids do get a present each.

Have a good weekend!

Ann said...

I am so sorry you have been sick. I'm still facing the fatigue from surgery, so know what it's like to be half mast.

Faith said...

I am so thankful you are getting past that flu!, I am fighting bronchitis!! I finally gave in and went to doc after work today to get the meds.

yay for the simpler pared down look at Christmas. I do the same thing now and it is much more enjoyable. It's called putting Sabbath margin in our spaces according to Priscilla Shirer!! 💕😀

We have scaled back too on gifts although I'm still buying more than one per person. That will start once Claire graduates from college!!

Have a wonderfully restful weekend!

ellen b said...

So sorry you were not feeling well. Hope you are tip top soon. It's okay to change up Christmas due to circumstances and not put too much pressure on ourselves.

nikkipolani said...

Oh, Susanne, that flu sounds like it knocked you out flat. Glad you are doing better with some time off, some nourishment, and some simplification around home for Christmas.

I wish our family would simplify the gifting like we always say we will and then don't. I think it's because it's difficult culturally for kids not to show respect by showering gifts to their parents. And my mom's love language is gifts.

Anyway, glad to hear you are recovering and even enjoying for easier-to-manage weather.

betty-NZ said...

It does a heart good to look for good things when you don't feel well. I love your tree and pray that you are all better in no time. Merry Christmas.