Welcome to Friday's Fave Five. Time to look back over the week and take notice of the blessings and good things in our lives and share five of our favorites. It's not about a competition to see who had the better week or the better life or more stuff, it's not about trying to outdo the other person. It's about learning to live a grateful life and being thankful in the moment and developing a discipline that can help to see us through the harder times of life.
No idea where this quote came from but if it's yours please let me know
and I would be more than happy to credit it.
Please join in with us!
1. Finding courage. I can't go into specifics for all the world to read, but there was something in my job that threw me for a loop and caused a whole boatload of stress. For weeks, the burden was overwhelming and the confusion on my part was great. But in conferring with two different trusted people and have them basically say the exact same thing, it's like a lightbulb went on and I knew what I had to do. Had I just have taken a deep breath and remembered why I have policies and ways of doing things I could have saved myself a whole lot of worry and headache. But I got hung up in one of my biggest fears (which I pinpointed when our ladie's group did the study "Fearless" by Max Lucado), and that is the fear of disappointing people. But once I was reminded and my mind refocused, I knew what I had to do and then it was just a matter of courage to carry it through. Once I did it was like a thousand pound weight off my shoulders. Thank God for good people who speak the truth, even when it's difficult, and who encourage and lift up when you need it the most.
2. Air conditioning. We were exposed to a heat wave, complete with heat warnings from environment Canada, this week. Now it is all relative as I know blogging friends like Anne and Willow get way hotter temps but the thing with Southern Alberta is that we seem to go from one extreme to the next without any acclimatization. At any rate, super hot mid summer type weather for us this week at 32*C (89.6*F) called for turning on the air conditioning. Now I know a lot of people do not have it here, but I am most grateful that when we bought the house back in the 90's it already had it and I was able to turn that baby on this week.
3. Trees to give shade. The west side of our yard is a line of towering aspen trees. Tall and skinny they form a wall against the afternoon sun. We have wonderful cooling shade in the backyard in the afternoon and evening. I am most grateful for this as for very many years we didn't have one tree whatsoever in the backyard and it was a roasting oven back there.
4. Naturally flavored sparkling water. I've really gotten hooked on ice cold refreshing sparkling waters. In the last year and a half or so I have drastically reduced sugar consumption in my life and with that I really never drink pop anymore. I used to love an ice cold coke on really hot days but now find them sickeningly sweet but still crave that cold "sparkle". Enter the naturally flavored sparkling waters that contain no sugars or sweetener whatsoever. My latest favorite is lemon but I do love the black cherry one and the mandarin also.
5. Bike riding. This last weekend we partook of a couple of bike rides. I love getting on my bike. Fresh air, pedaling through the different streets, it clears my mind and lifts my spirits. It takes me away from the stresses and worries as I concentrate on being in the moment and enjoying what I'm seeing and feeling. I'm shooting for a goal of riding at least 3 times a week this summer.
pinned from Bikebelle.com
What was your favorite blessings this week?