Friday, February 04, 2011

Friday's Fave Five #125


Welcome to Friday's Fave Five.  Time to take a peek back over our week and think about the blessings great and small that have come into our days.  Please join right in and then take a few moments if you can and visit some of the other participants.  You will be surprised how uplifted you will feel when you are done.  There is something about recognizing the good things in our lives even if we are having a bad week.  Guidelines are here if you need them.

So in no particular order:

1.  Hot soup on a cold day.  I'm a soup fan from way back.  And to me there is nothing that speaks comfort food like a steaming bowl of it when it's cold and blustery outside.  I'm always game to try one I've never made before. And something I love about soup is a lot of them totally lend themselves to tweaking according to what my family likes or what I have on hand.  Such was the case with this week's recipe.  I changed it up quite a bit and still ended up with a bowl full of delicious.   I ended up with a white bean/sausage/spinach soup.  Yum.

2.  God's promise that we are not forgotten and are written in the palm of His hand.

"[And the Lord answered] Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb?  Yes, they may forget, yet I will not forget you.
Behold, I have indelibly imprinted (tatooed a picture of) you on the palm of each of My hands; [O Zion] your walls are continually before Me." 
Isaiah 49: 15 - 16  Amplified Bible

In light of what our family is going through right now with MIL's stroke this is such a comforting promise knowing that no matter what she faces or what we are going through as a family that we are actually written on the palms of God's hands, that our troubles are before Him and He knows what we are up against.  We can come to him knowing He has compassion for us.

3.  Dark chocolate covered Acai & Blueberry.  Thanks to Costco and their food demos I came home with a bag of these last shopping trip. My mouth waters just looking at the picture of the bag.  Totally addicting but I'm convincing myself that they are good for me.  Dark chocolate, acai berry juice and blueberry juice.  Anti-oxidant goodness, right?  

4.  Revlon nail buffer.  I cannot tell you how much I love this thing. I've always loved the look of just clear polish on fingernails and I knew that expensive kiosks in the mall had buffers but they cost more than I was willing to shell out.  And now Revlon has one that fits very nicely into my budget, thank you very much.  It makes my nails ultra shiny and like they have a french manicure without a drop of polish.  Loooove it.

5.  Dinner out.  I'm always game for dinner out.  We took our son to his restaurant of choice for his birthday.  It was nice just to have a break (even though I love to cook) from the stress of the last few weeks and have fun.  I tried Jambalaya and it was delicious.  I'm glad I tried something new.

What have been your favorites this week.  Join us by doing up a post and then linking on!  Please link to your specific FFF post and not your home page.  It's so much easier to visit around.  Have a great weekend everyone.
   

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have been thinking about you this week, Susanne, with your MIL's stroke. Glad that you had some comfort for the body and soul this week.

Karyn said...

I can so relate to your list this week! I love homemade soup and often make a pot just for me to eat every day.

The verses you shared were ones that gave us much comfort when we lost our 3 week old daughter almost 23 years ago.

I am totally addicted to those acai 'berries' covered in dark chocolate! They are SO good. And yes, I think they must be good for us!

Dinner out is always fun.

I guess your #4 is the only thing that doesn't resonate with me this week. I have a hard time keeping my nails long enough to look half decent.

Hope your next week brings much improvement to your MIL.

Willow said...

Oh yes, homemade soup! I love it too. So comforting. Thinking of you and your family, especially your mother in law.

Gattina said...

Besides the stress with your MIL's stroke, your week seemed to be OK.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

oh my goodness that blueberry and chocolate look good. I love dried fruit, nuts and dark chocolate.

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

I'm a soup fan, too! And I LOVE that verse in Isaiah. Glad it spoke to your heart this week, Susanne. You've been in my thoughts and prayers.

February blessings to you!

Mom24 said...

I think we have lived on soup lately, so comforting this time of year.

Thanks for the tip on the buffer, I, too, love that look.

Hope your MIL is doing better.

Melissa said...

I'm glad you've found some highlights, even with all that's going on. That verse from Isaiah is a great reminder of His promises. Thanks for bringing it to mind for me, too.

I agree about the comfort of hot soup on a cold day! And that nail buffer looks neat. Right now my nails are super-short because they all broke, but they're usually not! :)

Kari said...

I like soups too and living in thailand it just has to be spicy.
What a great scripture to lean on during this time for your family.
I miss costco!
Happy weekend.

Cindy said...

Hi Susanne glad to see you here.
Again, sorry the pressure is on and also glad you found a way to offer it up. Dark chocolate can cover anything and make it better. Glad you got out this week. Homemade soup is chicken for the soul. I thought I would just leave this as is, no point in fixen it or trying to I'm laughing to hard, have a great week.

Anonymous said...

I had homemade soup twice last week for dinner: minestrone and chicken tortilla. Yummm.

I also love the verse in Isaiah you quoted. Have you ever heard the song using those verses? Quite comforting.

So glad God gave you blessings this week. :) Praying for you all!

Barbara H. said...

I like Nikki's comment about finding comfort for both body and soul this week, We had chicken and rice soup this week and it was just right. I love little bits of leftovers can be used in soups, too. Praying for the situation with your mother-in-law.

ellen b. said...

Comfort from God and others is so good in times like these for you Susanne. I'm glad you are feeling His love.
Those berries look good.
It's fun to try something new and like it. I'm sure jambalaya could really warm you up, too!
Happy Birthday to your son...

Kathie said...

A beautiful promise from Scripture Susanne. Wonderfully sustaining especially when we walk through the valleys. Praying for you, your MIL and your family.

Thanks for the buffer tip - never heard of them but I'm going to look them up.

I've never had Jambalaya either but I'd love to try it. it sounds so tasty.

A belated Happy Birthday to your boy!

Hope you're able to get some rest this weekend

Sending hugs!
Kathie

Karen said...

I'm glad you are feeling some comfort this week, Susanne. The Isaiah verse is one of my favorites.

Still keeping you covered in prayer.

Faith said...

yeah for dinners out and for the comfort of hot soup and the Written Words of God!!
I was praying for you and your Mil this week.....keep us posted. And I'm gonnna have to look for that nail buffer!!!

Lisa notes... said...

The older I get, the more I learn that God’s promises are so important to me. Praying your MIL is recovering. I’m always game for dinner out too. I’m about to go out of town for a few days, and one of the best things about it is eating out!

Mama Mia said...

Happy Birthday to your son! Hot soup on a cold day is definitely one of the small joys of life. We don't get that many cold days here in Southern California, so we have to take advantage of soup-worthy days when we get them! :o)

Brenda said...

All of your fav's sound so wonderful, the chocolate, soup, dinner out. It sounds like its been a good week for you.

Lydia said...

Bravo. Just what I needed to slow down. a moment of tranquility

Anonymous said...

Looking at your blueberries I have to admit having a similar craving and innate devouring tactic towards Costco's Poppycock. Oh my oh my oh my.....so bad for you but so tasty the tub just isn't safe in the house!