Friday, August 21, 2009

Friday's Fave Five #50


Sheesh. This is me trying to brush my teeth and comb my hair and get a drink of coffee to wake me up so that I can post this. I am late, late, late and do you know why? I thought it was Thursday. Yup, in my world I am a day behind. So I was lazing around last night thinking I had all the time in the world to get this posted. Ah well.

If you're new, I'm not usually late to my own party, so you can go here for details and then just jump right in.

1. Fridays. Yes my first favorite of the week is Fridays. I am so glad it is Friday today. It's been quite a week. Friday's around here just slow things down a bit. It's more relaxed in the dayhome and we have movie day in the afternoon. We all curl up with popcorn and close the curtains and enjoy a good movie. And of course, while the kids are watchng their movie I get to read a few Faves. Yup, I like Fridays.

2. Basil Nectarine Scented Candle from Yankee Candles. Oh my word I loooove this smell. I have the candle on an end table and if I sit close to it every once in a while I get a nice drift of the smell. So fresh. I don't even have to burn it although it smells wonderful burning too! If Yankee Candles ever reads here, hello, I'm Susanne and I'm willing to review any candles you may want.

3. Eat This, Not That. This is a great little book that helps you to discern between similar products at the grocery store so that you can make the healthier choice. Very easy reading and I've been learning lots. Go on, click on the link and Look Inside.

4. This post over at Brenda's Blog from Paraguay. All about doing some "rebinding" in our lives.

5. Cabbage Rolls. You know I have to have a food item in here somewhere. I wouldn't be a good Hungarian if I didn't love Cabbage Rolls. Covered in luscious sour cream. Yummy. Hungarians make theirs a little different. The cabbage rolls have ground pork in them too. Some do it with just ground pork, no beef. And there tends to be more meat than rice. The rolls lay on a bed of saurkraut in the roaster or pot after the tomato juice is put on some smoked meat like ribs or bacon is laid on top. And the best part? It's served with sour cream. Mmmm, mmm, mmm! So good. I made some last night. While not on par with my mom's at all it was passable. I had to substitute a few things but next time, no substitutions. I'm going for the authentic!

What's your faves from the week? Do up a post and link up to Mr. Linky so that we can come and visit. And thanks for your patience in my silly mix up.


23 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Friday is my favorite day, too. Most Christians say Sunday is their fave day. I cannot even imagine that candle combo. I thought I'd heard of every fragrance, but not that one. Currently I'm searching for a good coconut one!

Willow said...

Good morning, Susanne! Fridays ARE good days, aren't they?

I wish I could have scented candles around, but The Professor has allergies.

I'm off to check out the links!

Jerralea said...

I started to post that Friday was one of my favorites, too.

That candle smells yummy. I am all about fragrance. A good smell in my house is important to me. I've never heard of the fragrance of yours! Something tells me I need to try it.

Thanks for sharing that post about rebinding. It really makes one think.

Donnetta said...

I look forward to Friday's too!

I've never tried the basil nectarine candle but it sure sounds interesting.

No worries about running late today. It worked great for me. I've been doing it all week! :-)

Happy Friday to you!!

ellen b said...

Oh girl...you are making me hungry for goluptsi, the way my mother makes them. I was raised kosher so no pork in our version :0)
When I worked Friday was my favorite day but I really don't know what my favorite day is right now. I'll have to ponder that. Enjoy your mellow day with your nice smelling candle!

Barbara H. said...

I wondered where you were, LOL!

OK, you had me until the sauerkraut. Not fond of that. I've enjoyed cabbage rolls but they must've been an Americanized version. I didn't know you were Hungarian!

I love Fridays as well. Movie day sounds good!

Another friend has referenced that book a lot. I need to check into it.

Lisa notes... said...

It's your party--you can be late if you want to. :-)

Fridays are by FAR my favorite day of the week, too. I consider them my semi-sabbath.

Wish I could smell your candle through my computer. Sounds delightful.

Hazel said...

I love Fridays too! The candle sounds like an adorable thing to have. I used to buy scented candles, mostly flower shapes when I was married. It's always good to read something new and learn, and I always like Brenda's posts. Thanks for the links. And why is it that we can never make things as yummy as our moms'? :-) I've eaten a cabbage roll once and I'm a fan of sour cream too :)

nikkipolani said...

Another coincidence, Susanne -- I'm faving Fridays too. It's been an exhausting week. That candle combination seems unusual, but I love fresh nectarines. It's been my favorite fruit this summer. Happy (restful and rejuvenating) weekend, my friend!

Melli said...

Ohhhhhh my you have my mouth WATERING with those cabbage rolls! I LOVE them - but I've never had sour creme on them - and can ONLY imagine how BETTER they will be WITH it!

I can not even imagine what a nectarine basil candle smells like... I'm going to have to stop in at my local Yankee Candle shop and check it out!

Heidi said...

Ah Friday, yes, I love it best. basil nectarine- who'd a thought of that- I'll have to sniff it next time I'm at the Yankee Candle store in the mall. Eat This, Not That- I'll have to check it out, we are on a new diet, don't cha know. I need to go over to that blog you mentioned when I'm done here. And cabbage rolls? Love 'em! I feel like eating them right now, now that you posted that. I think I have a cabbage ready to cut in my garden. Another project for Heidi :)

Somehow I was relieved that there was at least one other person who did not like Time Traveler's Wife- thanks for telling me that.

Brenda said...

Sounds like a good week, I have been making lots of dietary changes in my life as well, trying to make healthier diet choices.

Thanks for linking to me, although I did not write that article, it is very challenging.

Jientje said...

Aaah yes, nothing can beat Fridays. Anticipating the weekend, relaxing, slowing down ....

Ooooh and Dr Mr Yankee Candle, I'm Jientje from Belgium, and I want to introduce them to Belgium too. As a matter of fact, I already did, wayback when I had mùy shop. But since my shop is gone, nobody seems to be able to find them here? Basil Nectarine sounds heavenly, and I know you do make the most heavenly scents!!!

You made me hungry with your food. Recipe perhaps? MMMMmm. *drools all over her keyboard now*

Anonymous said...

50 lashes with Cabbage leafs for being late LOL. I love cabbage rolls. Great week my friend. Have an excellent Friday :)

Faith said...

thanks for linking me up!

I've just discovered, sadly, that my hubby is allergic to most of the newer scents from yankee candle! it's odd....he can tolerate my cotton linen one but...for some reason he has just developed this allergy..so I am bumming! but I did smell that one in the store recently and it's nice! ENJOY!

Marg said...

Thank-you for offering some new resources. I loved reading about the health book and I'm always awed at Brenda's journey.
I hope you can have some down time as you go through these weeks.

Linda said...

Susanne - my husband is Hungarian too, and we love cabbage rolls!

Angie said...

I will have to try that candle - basil is one of my fave scents!

Unknown said...

I love the post about Rebinding! and Fridays!

Anonymous said...

Just realized I never left a comment on your blog! :)
That candle sounds interesting, I am going to have to give it a sniff next time I am out at our grocery store...they sell Yankee Candles.
And that book looks good, thanks for the tip on that one!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I'm going to try that candle. I love both of those smells.

Kari said...

Hi Susanne,
I love your list for Friday. That candle sounds great.
I also enjoyed reading the post from Brenda about rebinding. Very thoughtful.
Hope you're having a great weekend.

Musings of a Housewife said...

Eat This, Not That is so interesting! Love that book.

I love Fridays too. :-)