Thursday, November 20, 2008

Friday's Fave Five #15

Welcome to Friday's Fave Five. Please join us as we reflect back upon our week and find 5 favorite things. If you're new, details are here. Otherwise jump right in and don't forget to sign Mr. Linky!

1. My Bed. And more specifically my bed with my big ole duvet and duvet cover. For some reason I've just been so tired and so ready to crawl right in under that big duvet and onto my comfy mattress. I love how comfy it it is. And because it's in a cover there's no bunching up of sheets at your feet.

2. This email/post cracks me right up. And having both a dog and a cat, this is so totally closer to truth than we probably realize.

3. Monkey Bars. Oh my word. These are soooo good. I made 2 pans the other day. One for the kid's youth group meeting and the other for dayhome and ourselves. Not a one came back from youth group and our pan lasted exactly one day. Wish I had a picture for you but they disappeared to darn fast. So I'll give you the recipe instead. Another bonus? So easy.

-3/4 cup butter or marg.
-2/3 cup white sugar
-2/3 cup brown sugar
-1 egg
-1 tsp. vanilla
-1 cup ripe mashed bananas (3 medium: the riper, ie: think mostly brown, the better)
-2 1/4 cup flour
-2 tsp. baking powder
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease a 13x9 pan.

In a large mixing bowl beat margarine with mixer until softened. Add sugars and beat until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beating well. Stir in mashed bananas.

In another bowl, stir flour, baking powder and salt. With mixer on low speed gradually add flour mix to the banana mixture beating until well mixed. Stir in chips with a spoon. Spread batter in baking pan. Bake 30 - 40 mins. until cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan. Awesome as is but you can sift icing sugar over the top if you desire. I find it doesn't neet it. Enjoy.

I've played around a bit with this recipe and it's also awesome with added chopped nuts such as pecans or walnuts. If you like peanut butter and bananas, then peanut butter chips are the way to go. When I didn't have any kind of chips on hand I instead added 1/4 cup cocoa and 1 tsp. cinnamon and it was really good too!

4. Farmhouse Apple Candles from Yankee candles. So nice smelling. A store in town that carries them, Linens & Things, is going out of business, so I'm going to have to scoot down there this weekend and see if I can score a good deal on them.

5. Throw blankets. Love cozying up under them on the couch with these colder fall evenings upon us. It's not only cozy to me but comforting somehow.

Looking forward to reading your list of five favorites from your week. Please take a moment and check to make sure your link worked. Thanks so much.


32 comments:

Much Ado said...

Mmmm, can definitely relate to a lot on your list, throws, bed, candles (I lit my Pumpkin Pie Yankee Candle this week). Have a great weekend :)

Anonymous said...

I can so relate to #1 and 5!!

The recipe looks wonderful drool drool!

I have been having trouble seeing Mr. Linky lately on sites. My Fave Five are up...

http://airmiles.wordpress.com/2008/11/20/fridays-fave-five/

Jackie said...

Candles and throw blankets! Yum!

Beck said...

Everything sounds so nice and cozy - I want to be curled up in a blanket, with a nice candle burning and eating a monkey bar (ha! I just got the name!) right NOW!

Melanie said...

I'm posting my first FAVE FIVE today.
Love, love, love the bird picture in your header! Here is a link to see why.
http://bellamella-melanie.blogspot.com/2008/11/thumb-up-2-wings-lcs-photog-skills.html

The Correspondent said...

What a wonderful list, Susanne!

Thanks a bunch for posting the recipe for monkey bars. They sound delish.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness: #3 - fast, easy, and tastes good! Happy Friday, Susanne!

Robin said...

Great list. I also love snuggling up with a blanket on a cold night!

Thanks so much for sharing that recipe. I can't wait to give it a try :)

Anonymous said...

Well I'm hoping to relate to #1 very soon and I have been enjoying throws because Dear still likes to crank up the a/c :0)
The recipe looks great Susanne. Mr. Linky seems to not have worked on any meme this week. Does he appear for you? Anyway just click on my name and you'll get to my fave! Blessings...

Tracie said...

Monkey Bars...yummy!

I love blankets--especially super soft fleece ones. So relaxing!

Jen said...

Those monkey bars sound yummy! My picky eaters might even like them!
Thanks for hosting! Have a great weekend!

Carol said...

My bed. Oh, yesssss.

Eating monkey bars in my bed with a bunch of throws piled on top of me.

Bliss, baby. Sheer bliss!

Laura said...

I finally got my act together to participate again...yay!!

Oh how I love my duvet. I could stay in bed forever if I didn't have a 2 year old (who turns three on Saturday!) telling me over and over again "it's time to get up, it's time to get up". Sigh...

Anonymous said...

Coming back after visiting that cat/dog diary -- I've seen these, too, Susanne, but they sure don't reflect all cats :-)

Anonymous said...

I love Yankee Candles!

Susanne said...

nikkipolani: Oh and I know you were blessed with some of the most adorable, sweet little cats especially that adorable Samantha! If you ladies love kittens you've got to go and check out pics of little Samantha. Click on nikkipolani's link.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Those monkey bars sound good, thanks for sharing the recipe :)

You know, I saw a banner the other day on our Linens N Things across town. Is the whole chain going out of business, or just certain stores. I didn't stop there, but maybe I should have. I love Yankee Candles also and have that Farmhouse Apple in my kitchen. I love it :) I was burning Sparkling Cinnamon last night and it smelled awesome too :)

Have a wonderful day!

Skoots1moM said...

enjoyed your list...we share some thoughts...
helping my cold along by getting myself to think of other things...
fun!

Linda said...

These are great Susanne. I had the same thought as I got into bed last night. What a blessing a comfortable bed with warm covers is at the end of a busy day. Bliss!

Faith said...

Sorry about the 2 links...the second one should be the correct one....I didn't know how to delete the first one...maybe it can't be done? I don't know what I'm doing half the time!

Islandsparrow said...

I'm posting about candles too - I love Yankee candles - they smell so good!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe. Sounds yummy!

Shawna said...

Hi, Susanne! Thanks so much for the recipe. I am trying to line up my Thanksgiving dishes. This might be on the list.

Happy Friday and weekend to you! :0)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I didn't get to do one of these today! It seems I can do this or the Show and Tell but not both. It's easy to post for both -- but not to visit around for both, and I feel one point in participating is to visit around with other participants.

I suppose, though, my post today would have worked for both.

I love throw blankets, too. We keep one on the back of every sofa and love seat. So cozy!

I ordered what was called a coverlet for my son's bed, and it looks like a duvet cover -- it's like a big pillow case. It definitely needs something inside because it is thin and bunches up. The place I ordered it from didn't have duvets, so I need to find one somewhere else now.

Those Monkey Bars sound good!

Willow said...

I understand the not having time to get on line. I'm just now posting my fave five and I haven't put up anything for 3 days. It's been that kind of week. Have a wonderful weekend snuggled under a throw blanket!

Femin Susan said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwwww....
This is a beautiful blog! This is amazing!! Welcome to my blog.. I am so glad I found your blog!

the voice of melody said...

Those monkey bars sound delicious. Thanks for posting the recipe. That's one more I'll have to put on my list! :)

mom2triplets04 said...

I used to use a duvet but I find it very hard to change the covers and wash. Thanks for the recipe. Need to try that one for the kids one day. I posted my first 5 on my blog. I've been trying to post more on my blog lately so maybe I'll try doing this on Fridays. Thanks for the idea.

Anonymous said...

I love my bed too :)!!!

Shauna said...

Hey I hope you have an awesome weekend! Check out my blog to get your awards with l♥ts of l♥ve from me :) ♥ Hugs! :) Shauna
http://trying2staycalm.blogspot.com/

Mozi Esme said...

You sound nice and cozy this week! I love your faves...

Jamie said...

I always love reading your Friday Faves. One of these days I'm going to get it together and join in.