Isn't it lovely? But it was missing something. As in being filled with cookies. So to surprise my boy after he left for school yesterday I got busy baking, which some of you may know is not particularly my strong suit. I had a whole bag of Craisins. $3 off at Costco! And pecans. So craisin pecan cookies it was. After looking at several recipes on the web, I chose one that claimed they were the world's best. Okay good enough for me! I'll even make a double batch, I thought, and fill that baby right up.
So I followed the recipe exactly. Down to every little detail. Here is my first batch:
It's not stacked as nice as Barb's, but my boy was happy! As was hubby and the girls. A miracle. Homemade baking. In their house. Imagine that.
TRULY WORLD'S BEST CRAISIN PECAN COOKIES
-3/4 cup sugar
-1/4 cup packed brown sugar
-1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
-1 large egg
-1/2 tsp. each vanilla extract, cinnamon, baking soda
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1 1/4 cup flour
-1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats (do not use instant)
-1/2 cup chopped pecans
-3/4 cup Craisins
1. Preheat oven to 365*F. (The original recipe called for 375*, which might work for you depending on your altitude). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl with electric mixer, combine sugars and butter or marg and beat well for a few minutes. Add in egg and vanilla and mix well.
3. In seperate bowl mix flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda well. Add slowly to mixer, mixing well after each addition or stir in by hand.
4. Using a wooden spoon stir in craisins and pecans until evenly distributed throughout the dough.
5. Drop by teaspoon fulls (about 1" balls) onto cookie sheets and bake for 8 - 10 minutes. Start watching at 8 minutes. Should be just golden brown around the edges.
6. Remove from oven and let sit for a minute to cool on sheet. Remove to baking racks to complete cooling before putting in cookie jars.