Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Book Review ~ "Violet Dawn"




Violet Dawn by Brandilyn Collins is the first in her new "Kanner Lake Series". In the setting of Brandilyn's beloved Northern Idaho, surrounded with lakes, forests and wildlife it is the perfect setting for Paige Williams to start life over. Wanting nothing more than peace and a girlfriend who would be like a sister to her, Paige has settled into this idyllic little lake town. Not being able to sleep, Paige decides a nice soak in the hot tub on the deck of her rental home is in order. As she slips into the tub and lays back in the seat, something brushes against her leg. Groping around her hands become entangled with floating hair.



So begins Paige's nightmare and end to the quiet life she so desired. With secrets from her past that she needs to stay hidden, she needs to make a decision. Though innocent all evidence is pointing to her. Is this a bizarre co-incidence or is someone targeting her?



Chock full of great characters including Vince Edwards,the town police chief, and Bailey Truitt, owner of the local coffee shop and tons of suspense, this book kept me riveted. It is my first Brandilyn Collins book, and it took me quite awhile to work up the courage to read her books. They are known for their suspense and intenseness. Even though a little nervous, ok, really, with my heart in my throat, I was drawn right into the story, and had trouble putting the book down. I just had to know what was going to happen. Though very intense and action packed, it was not gross. Well as much as a body floating in your hot tub cannot be gross. :v)



With research into crime scene investigation and forensics, and great skill using flashbacks and several points of view, and weaving in faith, Brandilyn writes a great edge of your seat murder mystery.



If you think you are brave enough, you can read an excerpt here.


9 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I am so tempted to pick this up. Can you believe I'm still not done with the fiction book I was on weeks ago?

Barb said...

You cannot believe how fast I'm going to find this book and any others by her I can find. I LOVE books like this and you've drawn me right in. I've never even heard of Brandilyn Collins but you can bet I'm finding these books.

Here's what's gross. My purse. Which is now publicly displayed for the whole of Bloggyville to see. Ugh. Thanks. I think. :-)

Linda said...

What a great review Susanne. I think this one would be one I'd really enjoy. I do love mysteries. Thanks.

~ Brandilyn Collins said...

Thanks, Susanne. And kudos to you for getting up the courage to read Violet Dawn.

The second one in the series, Coral Moon, is just waitin' for you, girl. Um. Maybe I should tell you ... well, it might be just a wee bit more intense than the first one.

You can do it.

Barb said...

Holy Cow, Susanne. How cool is that, that Brandilyn left you a comment? NEVER wash this page. OK?

Anonymous said...

Thanks Susanne. I love mysteries and will keep my eye out for brandilyn collins...

Anonymous said...

OH MY! I love Brandilyn Collins books. I am so excited she started a new series.

Deena Peterson said...

If you enjoyed "Violet Dawn" you're going to LOVE "Coral Moon"....it'll blow you away...but you come back after you're finished:-)

Lori said...

Wow sounds like a good read.