Here's another addition of Friday's Fave Five. Once again it has crept up on me. I don't know where my weeks are going! But all the more reason to have a place to intentionally make note of the blessings in life lest they slip by without notice or thankfulness on my part. Please join in as we take a peek over the week and find what was good. If you are new the guidelines link in my sidebar.
1. Homemade spaghetti sauce. I don't know why I bother with the jar stuff when homemade is so delicious and fairly easy. It just took a little time to simmer all those wonderful flavors together. The hardest part was not constantly dipping into the pot to taste. Add some meat and some cool shaped pasta to catch all that sauce and what a great meal.
2. Homegrown tomatoes. A friend gave us tomato plants at the beginning of the season, and the crop is coming in! Everyday we go out and get a handful of delicious cherry tomatoes off the plant on the deck. The bigger tomato plants are planted in my Mom's garden and they are starting to get ripe and delicious too! There is nothing like a homegrown tomato. Toasted tomato sandwiches, crowning bbq burgers, tossed in salads. Yum!
3. Taber corn. Okay, it totally seems like all I think about is food, but seriously folks, August is corn season here and Taber corn is the best anywhere. And because it's right in our backyard, we have corn stands popping up everywhere to buy the delicious golden cobs. We've enjoyed the most tender peaches and cream corn, and this week the sweet golden corn has been knocking our socks off. It's seriously so good, in reality, it doesn't need butter or salt, but hey, what fun is a cob of corn without being taken to the next level, right?
Photo courtesy of Canadian Badlands
4. Warm days cooler evenings. Once again it's been nice to have nice warm days but the evenings are definitely cooling off which is really nice. Letting fresh air in to cool off the house is something I prefer to air conditioned cold air.
5. Farmer's market trip. How fun these trips are to pick up some yummy stuff. There is just so much going on it's fun just to be there. A quick lunch, Dave at the bbq booth, me at the Ukranian booth, a bag of spices, a couple bottles of gourmet olive oil. It made for a fun road trip day. It's really nice to get away a bit and just leave the pressures behind if only for an afternoon.
What were your favorites for the week?