Monday, February 23, 2015

Brussels Sprouts a delicious new way

When at Costco the other day we picked up a beautiful bag of fresh brussels sprouts.  And yes, the correct spelling and pronunciation is Brussels Sprouts with the "s".  Who knew?  Brussels sprouts are not something I grew up eating but I loved them from the first time I ever ate them in my husband's favourite dinner recipe.  I tried to find a post of mine with the recipe but apparently it is nowhere to be found on my blog though I have mentioned it several times.  I have got to get around to posting that thing.  It is delicious.  Anyway, today is for a different Brussels sprout recipe that I found either through Pinterest or Foodgawker, not sure which.

It is definitely a different way of preparing the brussels sprouts than I have ever done.  I've always just boiled them whole and served with butter and salt and pepper on them.  And I've never served them cooled off.  This recipe definitely takes a bit more work than just throwing the sprouts into a pot of water, but boy oh boy, is it ever worth the effort!  Everyone raved over these and every bite was eaten!  It got gobbled up before I could even think to take a picture though they did look pretty and appealing in the salad bowl and on the plate.   The recipe is written as a single serving appetizer.  I used it as a side.  In fact, I'll have to keep note that the recipe served 3 of us adults who all had seconds of it, so I'll have to double it if I have more people.  I did do a bit of adapting and I've noted that in the recipe.  I also presented it differently than she did so you might just want to link over and see how she originally did it.   I'll definitely be making this again.


CLEO HOLLYWOOD'S FAMOUS BRUSSELS SPROUTS
Recipe adapted from Recipris (You can click on over to see a picture)

-20 fresh brussels sprouts

-1 1/2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil

-1/2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar  **the recipe called for red wine vinegar but I've never liked it and so      didn't have it on hand, so I used seasoned rice wine vinegar**

-1 Tbsp. capers, drained   **I used a little less and I gave them a quick chopping**

-2 Tbsp. sliced almonds

-1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped

-salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste

-a pinch of red chili flakes, to taste


Preheat oven to 350*F.   Place foil over a baking tray and spray with olive oil.  Set to the side.

Wash and dry the brussels sprouts.  Cut off the ends.  Pull off leaves until you reach the core.  I had to make small slits at the base of the leaves as I went along for them to come off easily.  Place the leaves into a mixing bowl as you go.  Add 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.  Toss well and place on the baking tray.  Place on middle rack of oven and bake for 10 - 12 minutes.  You may now snack on the cores as you continue cooking.  ;)

Place almonds in a small fry pan and over medium heat, watching carefully not to burn, toast the almonds.  You can also do them in the oven along with the brussels sprouts, but they must be watched.


Cool both the sprout leaves and the almonds.  Meanwhile in a salad bowl, mix the remaining 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil, vinegar, capers, salt, fresh ground pepper, parsley and chili flakes.  Add brussels sprout leaves and almonds and toss.  Serve immediately.








4 comments:

Melanie said...

I have to try to recipe. When I was a child, we would go visit an aunt and uncle frequently and she always served brussels sprouts and I wanted to gag. Now I love them. This is a new way to fix them. Thank you.

ellen b said...

I'm one of those people who love Brussels sprouts! This recipe sounds real good!

Karen said...

We love Brussels sprouts and am always looking for different ways to prepare them. This is so different and I love the idea of almonds in the recipe.

Kathie said...

I'm not a huge fan of Brussels Sprouts but this does sound good!