Friday, November 07, 2014

Friday's Fave Five #305


Hi everyone?  It's nice to see another Friday roll around.  Time to look back over our blessings from the week and choose 5 favorites.  


1.  Quote:

  "Often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us"      -Helen Keller

This quote really spoke to me.  And when I saw it I immediately copied it down to a couple of places including here.  But what really added to this quote for me was about 1/2 an hour after copying it down I was given notice by a long time family in my dayhome.  It totally blindsided me.  Did not see it coming at all.  I was incredibly sad, they were like family.  And I was a little hurt that they blindsided me with it.  My wonderful husband stepped in a whisked me off to Calgary for the day Saturday to cheer me up and I made a deal with him that I would forget about and not talk about it for at least that day.  It. was. so. hard.  I tend to really rehash things.  But about halfway to Calgary this quote flashed before my eyes, and I realized I was staring at that closed door.  And I also started to laugh because I felt the Lord had totally been speaking when I saw that quote.  He knew what was coming and I feel He was trying to prepare my heart.  But in my humanness as soon as a door unexpectedly shut the quote flew right out that slamming door and I forgot about it until he gently reminded me the next day.   So I am not going to stand staring at that closed door.  I say I am very grateful for having served this family for the past 7 years and I'm going to spend this last month with the child enjoying him as much as I can.  And then I'm purposefully going to look for the open door I know is coming.

2.  A good true story.  I always enjoy reading a good biography or autobiography.  I love to read how people go through the things life brings them, good and bad.  They don't have to be famous for me to enjoy it.  And so I was really pleased this last week to be able read and enjoy this wonderful book reviewed here.  It was well written, interesting and left me feeling uplifted.  



3.  Yummy spices.  One of the things we did in Calgary was go to the Farmer's market and at that Farmer's market is a little spice booth called The Silk Road Spice Merchant.  Last time I was there I had picked up a jar of basil to try and when I got home and compared it to the regular grocery bottle I had been buying.  I couldn't believe the difference buying a quality spice makes.  Hubby gave me some money and let me go have fun.  Oh how to choose!  They have so many to choose from.   I ended up with about 5 bottles of fragrant, yummy spices including Garam Masala, roasted garlic powder, oregano, dried jalapenos, and Chai Masala.  I've had fun this week cooking with them and have used them all except the Chai Masala.  Will be doing that this Saturday.

4.  Browsing Pinterest for Christmas.  Love looking at all the recipes and decorating ideas for Christmas.  I'm so not a crafty person but it's still fun to look.

5.  Haircut.  It seems my hair goes from good to can't stand it overnight.  The haircut this week was very welcome to get it back to shape once again.

What were you favorite blessings this week?



14 comments:

Faith said...

I LOVE your attitude in number 1. I tend to rehash things too...especially the more difficult things, so I need to remember the words of Helen Kelller!! yay for new spices and haircuts....my hair was reshape this week too and felt sooo good to just sit in that chair and relax! I'm definitely going to look for that book and look on Pinterest too for some new healthier xmas food choices! enjoy the weekend.

Monica said...

Sorry to hear of your lost family but I love how you have had a change of view on it. I think most of us (if we are honest) do the same thing.
I am learning to cook with different spices that I haven't used much before and it is a very yummy experience! :)
Hope you have a great weekend! Nice mild weather.

LivingforGod said...

I like that quote, too. It reminds us to look at all the opportunities God is giving us. I enjoy spices. I often use basil, garlic powder, and curry powder. I am not crafty but I also like looking at all the creative ideas on Pinterest :).

Have a blessed weekend in the Lord!

Annette Whipple said...

I needed to hear #1. A lot. Thank you for sharing.

Hazel said...

Love the Helen Keller quote. Pinterest is a Dreamland! I spend hours there.

Barbara H. said...

Neat the way God prepared you ahead of time for what He knew was coming. I'm so sorry you're losing this one family. It will be interesting to see what God has around the bend.

I love biographies, too whether the people are famous or not. That one sounds interesting.

My oldest son has been cooking for himself for over 4 years now and has surprised me with some of the things he has tried. His isn't typical bachelor, frozen pizza cooking. :) He has told me how much better fresh spices are than what he calls the "dust" that sits in bottles for years. I haven't found a source yet - we went to the local farmer's market a few weeks ago but it was a little too far away and too busy for me. I wish I lived close enough to him to taste some of his dishes.

I am that way with my hair, too, and it seems when it most needs cutting, I can't get it taken care of for a while. A fresh haircut feels so good.

nikkipolani said...

What a timely word it was, that Helen Keller quote. I appreciate your taking it to heart and working diligently to battle the disappointment to look beyond to that open door. And a dear husband who was there to comfort and encourage.

Ann said...

I understand completely about how hair goes from "I love it" to "I can't stand it" overnight!!!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that God gave you that quote to give you the hope you need. Glad you got whisked away, too. Have a wonderful weekend.

Jerralea said...

Susanne, I love the quote! I think we all tend to stare at that open door for a long time. We do not like change!

I'm the absolute same way about haircuts. I can be perfectly fine with my hairdo and then overnight I can't stand it any longer. I blame growth spurts. Lol.

Dianna said...

Susanne, I am so blessed by that quote and how the Lord worked in your life through it. Good for you for looking for an open door!

I need to order that book and read it. I read your review the other day and it was excellent.

You are a blessing!

Kathie said...

Just perfect the way that quote came in at just the right time. I think we're all guilty of staying too long in our disappointments. So glad the Lord prepared you that way. Looking forward with you - it will be exciting to see how He comes through for you.

And now I want to go look up things on Pinterest :)

Happy Weekend!

xo

Tori Leslie said...

Hi Susanne, i just found your blog by following a fav five link and I'm glad I did. You have a lovely blog and I'll be back since I added you to my reader. Have a great day!

Barbara said...

Thank you for sharing your heart, God bless you, and have a good weekend.