Saturday, September 06, 2014

The Mountains Is Where It's At!

Willow asked me how narrow the cliff trail was on the FFF post.  It was narrow.  In some places if someone was coming the other direction and wanted to pass you had to back up against the cliff wall and they just had enough room to pass.  There was no guard rails and was a complete drop off.  I looked at the picture of the cliff wall and realized you probably couldn't see my son or daughter because they were wearing grey and were quite camouflaged against the cliff.  So I cropped it a bit and pointed them out.  Original here.





And this was probably the best indication of the width of the trail though it did narrow even more in some spots.  You can see the "hose" in the wall too. At one point I said to the kids that I was totally feeling the mountain goat vibe.




 I laughed when I saw this pic.  At this point I have on a sweater, a hoodie and my husband's windbreaker.  I look like a female version of the Michelin man.  


But in all fairness to my serious lack of hiking fashion sense, it was windy and cold. And my daughter was wrapped in a blanket.  So we were both a fashion faux pax all happening at the same time.  Once we got going, though, the exercise and the adrenaline soon got the blood flowing to warm us up.

Oh well, who has time for pride when you are basking in the glory of this creation of God's.   Or trying to take picture number 239 of 255 that I took and not fall off the side of the mountain and embarrass my kids or force my EMT son to practice his occupation while on holidays.

But seriously, the mountains is where I totally get lost in the awesomeness of God.  Even my husband notices a change in me as soon as we enter mountain area.  The glory of His creation and how small we really are just makes me want to shout his praise and hear it echo in all the valleys.  So beautiful.  And it makes me so grateful that He gave us eyes to see it and the opportunity to experience it all!




"For behold, He who forms mountains and creates the wind

And declares to man what are His thoughts,
He who makes dawn into darkness
And treads on the high places of the earth,
The Lord God of hosts is His name."


Amos 4:13  NASB









6 comments:

Barbara H. said...

Oh wow! Makes me dizzy just to think of being on that narrow path with no guardrail! I'm so glad you all could go.

ellen b. said...

God's creation is amazing. I'm glad you braved the path to enjoy it all.

Willow said...

Oh wow. Yeah, that's narrow. Makes my little heart race because I'm not fond of narrow spots on trails. Now I'm thinking I truly need to visit Glacier Nat'l Pk!
I feel about the beach as you do about the mountains although I admit to loving mtns too. Mountains bow down and the seas roar as the sound of HIS name!

nikkipolani said...

Uh, yeah. That is definitely narrow! I wonder if they have search and rescue people on call... Glad you didn't have to make use of their services!

Paula said...

I'm sure the views are breathtaking, but so are the heights! I wouldn't enjoy trekking down that narrow trail. Glad you had a good time...and lived to tell the story. :)

Faith said...

LOVE!!!! I am sooo at home in the mountains that my husband actually started talking about us moving to them once the girls are on their own :) i am SUCH a naturalist (see Gary Thomas' book Sacred Pathways).